Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
ORD-SNA
W fare - 2 pax
PCU
$139 pp

Accepted about 55 hours before departure. Properly booked up into A.

Both of us have managed to catch a cold in Chicago, so it'll be nice to have a little extra comfort for the ride home. Only 3 F seats were still open and I figured there was no way we were going to get a CPU (never seem to when there are 2 pax on the PNR). Before the outbound a week ago it was $199 pp, so it went down $60 pp.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by jasonvr
ORD-SNA
W fare - 2 pax
PCU
$139 pp

Accepted about 55 hours before departure. Properly booked up into A.

Both of us have managed to catch a cold in Chicago, so it'll be nice to have a little extra comfort for the ride home. Only 3 F seats were still open and I figured there was no way we were going to get a CPU (never seem to when there are 2 pax on the PNR). Before the outbound a week ago it was $199 pp, so it went down $60 pp.
That's insane. No wonder CPUs are nonexistent on that route. I'd eat that everyday. I fly that route 15 times a year and I get the $199 offer occasionally at 24; most of the time all seats are gone by 24. Not sure how you got the sweet deal at 55 hours.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
are you a glutton for punishment?
not to sound like i'm digressing on the thread, but i've tried both the new slim seats (the much better blue edition, not the grey ones), and i actually liked them more than the PMCO seats on the 737 ... something odd about the lower back portion on those (737 ones) that make it super uncomfortable

of course the PMUA 752 ones are most comfortable but we all know those are going the way of the dinosaur
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CashN
That's insane. No wonder CPUs are nonexistent on that route. I'd eat that everyday. I fly that route 15 times a year and I get the $199 offer occasionally at 24; most of the time all seats are gone by 24. Not sure how you got the sweet deal at 55 hours.
Yep, which is why I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. No idea why it showed up, but luckily I was checking. My only thought is that the A fare on the route went down and therefore the differential from my W fare shrunk.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yep, which is why I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. No idea why it showed up, but luckily I was checking. My only thought is that the A fare on the route went down and therefore the differential from my W fare shrunk.
I can tell you that the A fares to SNA and AUS are outrageously inexpensive.... I had a 1 way to AUS from Denver price out at $270 in A. I would pay for that ticket almost any day. As long as that bucket is available, I can see cheap buy ups from any fare class in economy.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:18 pm

upgrade fee for HNL-IAH

Hi guys -

I'm flying HNL-IAH and wondered if anyone knew the upgrade fee from coach to first? I have no status (new to UA) and it's a discount fare (V).

I think the upgrade fee IAH-HNL was $699, but that was on an international 777 that had both first with little cubicles and business with lay flat seats. Wasn't sure if it was a fixed fee, or varied based on the type of plane, how many seats were open, etc.

Also, when do they open up paid first class upgrades? Is it 24 hours before flight, the same time you can check in?

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by psuedoaccount
Hi guys -

I'm flying HNL-IAH and wondered if anyone knew the upgrade fee from coach to first? I have no status (new to UA) and it's a discount fare (V).

I think the upgrade fee IAH-HNL was $699, but that was on an international 777 that had both first with little cubicles and business with lay flat seats. Wasn't sure if it was a fixed fee, or varied based on the type of plane, how many seats were open, etc.

Also, when do they open up paid first class upgrades? Is it 24 hours before flight, the same time you can check in?

thanks in advance.
There is no fixed cash upgrade fee -- it can variety (based on likely demand & available space?). It is also not guaranteed to be available.

There can be offers at anytime -- check your online reservation. And it can be offered at CheckIn.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2014 at 10:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no fixed cash upgrade fee -- it can variety (based on likely demand & available space?). It is also not guaranteed to be available.

They can be offers at anytime -- check your online reservation. And it can be offered at CheckIn.
Great, thank you!
I am already compulsively checking for better coach seats... as of right now they're still asking $1300 for an upgrade.

Ooh, I see now there is an entire thread on this topic (thanks to whoever moved this).

HNL-->IAH
1/3/15
As of 12/31, asking $1372 to upgrade from coach (V) to first class on a 777 that doesn't have laydown seats.

Last edited by psuedoaccount; Dec 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by psuedoaccount
Great, thank you!
I am already compulsively checking for better coach seats... as of right now they're still asking $1300 for an upgrade.

Ooh, I see now there is an entire thread on this topic (thanks to whoever moved this).

HNL-->IAH
1/3/15
As of 12/31, asking $1372 to upgrade from coach (V) to first class on a 777 that doesn't have laydown seats.
Strange that it's still offering an upgrade. I just checked (0041 HNL time on 31Dec14) and the fare classes are:

F0, A0, JN0, C0, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B0, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the arrival of 2015, time to roll over to
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.