Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Sycophant
For my DEN-SFO return, it says I can upgrade for 15,000 miles + $75, which I believe is standard for an H fare, but then it says I can "upgrade all eligible flights" for 7,500 miles + $75. Not sure if it's a bug, but I'm tempted to upgrade on the return if I can get it that cheap.

If I want to switch to a different flight, what restrictions will there be, if any? I assume any flight I switch to would need to have R inventory if I want to be accommodated in first class. Could I get the miles and copay returned to me if I do not get upgraded on the new flight?
take screenshots. I have had them deduct more in similar cases and only got the miles back once I sent them a screenshot.
If the UG does not clear then you get miles and co-pay back. If you switch then std SDC rules apply and you will be put back in your original coach booking class; at times if there is R space available the agent will clear you right away (ask for it).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
UA 1731 DEN-YYC
Not sure what fare but it would have been the lowest discounted fare

Offer to upgrade at kiosk was only $89 which I accepted and thought was reasonable for an almost 2.5 hr flight. Little did I know that this flight fell just slightly under the 900 mile threshold for a meal at 898 and instead ended up with a snack basket consisting of a bag of chips and some cookies
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by habshabs444
Little did I know that this flight fell just slightly under the 900 mile threshold for a meal at 898 and instead ended up with a snack basket consisting of a bag of chips and some cookies
IIRC there's mainline and CR7 on this route.

New food has not kicked in yet, so if CR7, then it's a basket, even on LAX/SFO-DFW, both clocking in well over 1K miles.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
SFO-JFK $299 at kiosk last week. Plenty of people on list for U/G.

Wound up passing because had exit row with empty middle.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
BWI-SFO (UA 1689 - Boeing 738) from YN award ticket to IN - $729: No Thank you! Plane went out full in both cabins

SFO- IAD (UA633 - Boeing 752) from XN to IN - $1129: Like you for real???? Hells to the NO!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
BWI-SFO (UA 1689 - Boeing 738) from YN award ticket to IN - $729: No Thank you! Plane went out full in both cabins

SFO- IAD (UA633 - Boeing 752) from XN to IN - $1129: Like you for real???? Hells to the NO!
1K hurts so bad in these times. I bet a no status member gets a $199 and $300 offer for those
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by olouie
1K hurts so bad in these times. I bet a no status member gets a $199 and $300 offer for those
Even as a 1K, I have had some decently cheap offers (BOS-DEN for $179 booked in G, for instance late last year... or DEN-IAD for $159 booked in E back in April... both of which I accepted since I was too far down on the UG list)...

There really is no rhyme or rhythm to how these offers are made. I wouldn't go so far as to say that non-elites get sweeter deals.....
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: MVP75K, UA Gold,
Question:

My flight PHX-DEN-ANC I applied an RPU and was cleared on the first segment then was waitlisted on the DEN-ANC however there was a FC cancellation I saw on the app so I asked the GA about buying the seat. They allowed me to purchase it for $119 and put it under "change fee". My name was removed from the UG list after this. Would this mean that I will get my RPU back since it wasn't cleared all the way through?

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Deekh8
....Would this mean that I will get my RPU back since it wasn't cleared all the way through? ....
For RPUs, if any segment clears the RPU is considered used - regardless of what happens on the other segments.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm a 1K. What happens if you book a ticket without entering the MP number?

Am I likely to get a UFC offer as a no status passenger? Has anyone tried?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I wouldn't go so far as to say that non-elites get sweeter deals.....
See my post above: $334 for a non-elite versus $1155 for an elite:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23641264-post435.html
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
I have a hypothetical situation. What would happen if I had a miles+copay waitlisted to R, and then received a decent upsell offer at check-in, and took it, while still waitlisted? Would the miles+copay be redeposited into my account, because THAT upgrade never happened? Would UA try to take it all?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I have a hypothetical situation. What would happen if I had a miles+copay waitlisted to R, and then received a decent upsell offer at check-in, and took it, while still waitlisted? Would the miles+copay be redeposited into my account, because THAT upgrade never happened? Would UA try to take it all?
That's the Golden Ticket...those offers will come, and typically the buy-up isn't much more than your co-pay...so take it, and you get your co-pay + the miles back. Win/win (expect for the 1Ks on the waitlist with their GPUs )
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's the Golden Ticket...those offers will come, and typically the buy-up isn't much more than your co-pay...so take it, and you get your co-pay + the miles back. Win/win (expect for the 1Ks on the waitlist with their GPUs )
True, but you have to call up. My GPU never came back after purchasing a UPC JFK-LAX. The call agent told me I was upgraded and I wouldn't get it back. It took 10 minutes explaining to her.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
There really is no rhyme or rhythm to how these offers are made.
That's SURELY what COdbaUA management would like you to believe. And, you're welcome to believe it.
As for me and mine, we'll let our BS detectors decide. @:-)

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.