Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:39 pm

The Hangar here in HNL still has the Continental Sign on it as of this past weekend.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The GIG website is probably outside of UA control.

As for leftover CO branding n buildings, tarmac equipment, ... and we care why???
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
A ton of ground equipment (pick up trucks, luggage trailers, small mobile cranes/lifts), quite a few support staff uniforms (mechanics overalls etc), dishes in clubs and on planes (cups, glasses, china) still feature full Continental Airlines signage/emblems.

In addition sCO staff routinely references earning valuable OnePass miles, Continental legacy crews, President's Clubs etc. Outside of that, there are a few scheduled exceptions were management seems to have decided to let sCO live on openly, e.g. the CO retro plane I just flew on this past Saturday or the CO President's club awards displayed in United Clubs like EWR.

Assuming here you don't consider the new "UA" logo and paint scheme to be CO...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been discussed before. See Remaining Vestiges of CO.

In DEN, there are hangars with both legacy Continental and legacy United signage.

I've also noticed that the tulip eradication program appears to, sadly, be at a standstill.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I saw a Continental Express livery this week, which surprised me. I thought they had all been changed over....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by islackmore
Just flew in from GIG-IAH today and I figured that FINALLY the GIG website would show flight 129 as United. I was wrong. It still shows continental. Additionally, there is still some continental signage at the check in desks. I thought all of this stuff was supposed to by 100% replaced with United by now. No? Just curious.
That's because United and Continental haven't really merged at GIG. s-CO still operates from T1, while UA from T2. That's about to change though. s-CO will move over on the 18th, but that's because the airport operator will renovate T1 and is moving over all US airlines and TAAG. We'll see if UA will seize the opportunity to merge the operation at the airport as well. It would be bizarre if they moved, but not consolidate.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wait, this whole thread is a trick question...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kale73

I've also noticed that the tulip eradication program appears to, sadly, be at a standstill.
That's a good thing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:20 pm

They may be busy phasing out the old brand, but what exactly does their new one consist of?

The Olympic TV spots were bland, generic, and generally forgetful. The livery and marketing material is based on a 20 year old concept. The "new" uniforms are about as souless and unimaginative as one can get.

For all the talk of the grand new advertising campaign, the results so far have been underwhelming at best. It was open knowledge that CO never saw a worthwhile ROI for investing in their brand, and while that may have been true when passengers had no other options and they were industry darlings, it's a boneheaded move for what is the world's largest carrier.

Legacy United didn't contract respected design consultants like Pentagram because they liked blowing away money - they did it because they saw value in a cohesive, sophisticated, and premium brand image.

The new brand philosophy, based off of the absolute lowest common denominator, the safest, most bland material, is not only sad, it's bad business. The sheltered world the executives grew up in strikes again.

Last edited by tuolumne; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:28 pm

The on-board medical kit that was in one of the overhead compartments in BF on my recent flight still said Continental on the outside.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by tuolumne
For all the talk of the grand new advertising campaign, the results so far have been underwhelming at best. It was open knowledge that CO never saw a worthwhile ROI for investing in their brand, and while that may have been true when passengers had no other options and they were industry darlings, it's a boneheaded move for what is the world's largest carrier.

Legacy United didn't contract respected design consultants like Pentagram because they liked blowing away money - they did it because they saw value in a cohesive, sophisticated, and premium brand image.

The new brand philosophy, based off of the absolute lowest common denominator, the safest, most bland material, is not only sad, it's bad business. The sheltered world the executives grew up in strikes again.
But......but..... we have Chase Credit Cards for Branding. They think "they're in". My oh my! Does anyone there have a Marketing/Advertising/Branding expertise/degree?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by oopsz
The eagle? Haven't seen that in a while. I kinda wish they had used the meatball with the United typeface.

That actually looks great
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Amazing how ameturish the old typeface makes the new one look.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
+1

oopsz: what font did you use for the tag line?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
LAX T6. It costs electricity too.

The four legacy monitors at LAX T6 next to Copa check-in counters. One actually showing Copa flight info, another one has nothing but the globe and "Continental". Was like that in April, in September, and last check, late November. I don't know if LAWA or UA/CO is paying the power bills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.