Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dank0014
Co-worker bragging that she took my upgrade tomorrow from ATL - ORD.

I'm #1 on list and all F is now full.

She had S fare, offered $49, no status. Have to love TOD
did you get a $$ offer at check in? if so, what was it? were you also an S fare?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
did you get a $$ offer at check in? if so, what was it? were you also an S fare?
I have a U fare - I booked my flight late last week vs. her when she booked it quite some time ago. When I checked in, it was outrageous. It was $8_9, can't remember the middle number, but it was over $800 (yes you are reading it correctly!). Have to love the way UA systems work.

What is interesting though is that the initial number it always shows on the app when I check in tends to be crazy high, but then when I go back in to "view reservation," it tends to give me a lower cost. In this situation though, I didn't go back into the reservation as I don't usually care if I get upgraded on a flight under 2 hours.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Co-worker bragging that she took my upgrade tomorrow from ATL - ORD.

I'm #1 on list and all F is now full.

She had S fare, offered $49, no status. Have to love TOD
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have a U fare - I booked my flight late last week vs. her when she booked it quite some time ago. When I checked in, it was outrageous. It was $8_9, can't remember the middle number, but it was over $800 (yes you are reading it correctly!). Have to love the way UA systems work.
So let me get this straight. As a 1K on a U fare you were offered an upgrade at check-in for over $800. And your no status co-worker on an S fare was offered an upgrade for just $49?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
So let me get this straight. As a 1K on a U fare you were offered an upgrade at check-in for over $800. And your no status co-worker on an S fare was offered an upgrade for just $49?
yes, does it really surprise you, it is UA, but like I said, I think the initial price I always get when I check in on the app is a glitch - usually half the time, it is something very crazy. I don't know what the true TOD would have been for me as I didn't go back into the reservation
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I've noticed recently that the buy-up system isn't very smart in situation where the coach fare you have is more expensive than some cheap -UP fares. In those cases, you tend to get some hilarious buy up offers (maybe up to full F?), while people on lower fares are offered the delta between their fare and the cheap -UP fare.

That's my pet theory on why an S fare gets a better buy up than a U fare.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
I've noticed recently that the buy-up system isn't very smart in situation where the coach fare you have is more expensive than some cheap -UP fares. In those cases, you tend to get some hilarious buy up offers (maybe up to full F?), while people on lower fares are offered the delta between their fare and the cheap -UP fare.

That's my pet theory on why an S fare gets a better buy up than a U fare.
But Premiers aren't getting the dirt cheap offers on S fares that the GMs appear to be getting...that seems pretty consistent. IMO that speaks more to malice than incompetence.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
But Premiers aren't getting the dirt cheap offers on S fares that the GMs appear to be getting...that seems pretty consistent. IMO that speaks more to malice than incompetence.
Right, I'm not trying to explain differences in offers across Premier levels, holding fare class constant. Rather, I'm explaining something slightly different: differences in offer across fare class, holding Premier level constant. Agree it's hard to argue incompetence for the former situation.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
yes, does it really surprise you, it is UA, but like I said, I think the initial price I always get when I check in on the app is a glitch - usually half the time, it is something very crazy. I don't know what the true TOD would have been for me as I didn't go back into the reservation
Yes that was just a rhetorical device, the details of your experience were spread across three separate posts.

There are members here (hello .....) who still claim this is not occuring.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm Reason: calling out members is not consistent with the FT rules
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:50 am

UA 83 DEL-EWR 10/21
PLT, K fare
$5579 at OLCI. Then $1239 at T-6.

Didn't take it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
1162 - EWR-MCO
1 silver, 1 non-status on different PNR
Both purchased Q
1 Offered $119 each way; other offered $119 & $129
I purchased them.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by leonidas
UA 83 DEL-EWR 10/21
PLT, K fare
$5579 at OLCI. Then $1239 at T-6.

Didn't take it.
How was the T-6 offer presented to you? Online? At a chicken? What?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by RNE
How was the T-6 offer presented to you? Online? At a chicken? What?
I was just checking my reservation on the app at around T-6.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:23 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by leonidas
I was just checking my reservation on the app at around T-6.
Thanks. Gotta remember to check my app more frequently.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Just FYI, I did get 1.5x miles on my $67 upgrade from coach to first (A) from EWR-LAS this week.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Just FYI, I did get 1.5x miles on my $67 upgrade from coach to first (A) from EWR-LAS this week.
Would such a situation be the rule, or was this a mistake? So in general with buy-ups, should I expect my ticketed class mileage, or the credit for the class the upgrade books into?

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.