Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
No status > status in these scenerios recently it appears. I had a similar deal where EWR -> PTY upgrade to J was cheaper than E+ (before I got UA status)
Search TOD - a long running thread on the topic
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by yoshapman
No status whatsoever. Booked in Economy (W).

Do I get extra miles for the flight there? I think my company would pay the $25 I'm saving on not checking a bag for a week conference, so for $42, seems worth it.
No extra miles. But this is a no-brainier...

Don't think. Do.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Ok, going to do it
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
FWIW I got extra miles (50% bonus) as my W fare was turned into a P fare, posted about it in the 2014 Upsell thread:

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
I "saved" $$ & time overall by upgrading recently for flights (flying LHR - PTY return, I have no status):

Route: EWR - PTY
Original Fare bucket: W
Price offered: $89
Upgrade to B
Where offered: At OLCI T-24
Accepted

I was paying $109 for an exit row seat, so seemed clear to take this deal with it being $20 less - I noticed the $109 refund to my card used within 48 hours of the P purchase

Route: PTY - IAH
Original Fare bucket: H
Price offered: $89
Upgrade to B
Where offered: Right after Itinerary purchase, when selecting seats for 4 legs.
Accepted.

Exit row seat was going to cost me $69, so paid $20 for the upgrade.

Overall I thought this was a great deal. Total exit row seat prices = P seat prices, plus with P now as 1 leg on both journeys I have business checkin (great for TATL flights, as you cannot fully checkin online), I have the option of taking 2 bags for free (2nd bag would have been $100 EW anyway), my bag(s) are put through as priority meaning they should get to the belt quicker, I have priority boarding and can also use the lounge on my P legs (although this doesnt benefit me as I have priority pass), and finally I get bonus miles + segments for flying business
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
I have a flight next month from EWR to LAS for work, and while I am booked in economy now, I can get an upgrade to First for only $67. The upgrade for the flight home is $1,500+. Has anyone ever seen an upgrade that cheap? Although I'd have to pay out of pocket, I'm seriously considering it. When I first booked a month ago it was $300, then last week it was $150, and now $67. Something seems wrong here, no?

Also, just noticed, Economy Plus is actually more expensive to upgrade to than First, at $76+.
I don't think LAS has a lot of high status flyers. I flew SAN-SFO-LAS and the flight SAN-SFO had about 50 people in boarding group 1 or 2. The flight SFO-LAS had 8 people in boarding group 1 or 2. I counted them.

So it is possible that United just wants to fill F with at least a few paying customers.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by eghansen
I don't think LAS has a lot of high status flyers. I flew SAN-SFO-LAS and the flight SAN-SFO had about 50 people in boarding group 1 or 2. The flight SFO-LAS had 8 people in boarding group 1 or 2. I counted them.

So it is possible that United just wants to fill F with at least a few paying customers.
Yes this is likely. I have better upgrade percentages at Silver/Gold than some 1Ks seem to have in other cities. I don't think I've had any trips where I haven't been upgraded either leaving or coming home all year. When I don't make it, I'm always at the top of the list.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eghansen
I don't think LAS has a lot of high status flyers.
Right. LAS is a highly "leisure" market.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:12 am

Ok, going to do it
Did it work? That's a legit TOD on just a W fare. What fare class were you put it? If you are in P, the 50% RDM/EQM bonus is probably worth $67 by itself.

I'm not really familiar with the EWR-LAS market, but looking at the upgrade lists for EWR-LAS for next few days, seems like there are plenty of elites on the list with very upgrades available. Wouldn't be no problem if everything was all paid F.

But if I was an elite in that market and wasn't offered the same $67 upgrade, I wouldn't be happy.

On the other hand, if they are offering that to elites also, makes me think I need to be more like OP and keep checking my itineraries all the time.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I have a client in Vegas and have flown SFO-LAS several times in the past few months. I think I've been CPUed almost every time. Maybe they just have zero elites on the flight right now. Still, $67 is crazy. Enjoy your flight in F!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by ifly153
Did it work? That's a legit TOD on just a W fare. What fare class were you put it? If you are in P, the 50% RDM/EQM bonus is probably worth $67 by itself.

I'm not really familiar with the EWR-LAS market
This is a bit weird.

Looking at published fares for round trips, the only W fare I see posted EWR-LAS is a $528 r/t fare basis WAA14AHN.

For first-class travel, I see a $708 r/t LAU14AKS/UPDI fare which books into first. It has a 14-day advance purchase requirement, but let's assume that buy-up offers ignore those??.

If the OP's flight had both L and P inventory available, I might expect to see a buy-up offer of $90 one way (the difference between a $354 one way P/L fare and a $264 one way W ware). Dunno how United got this down to $64.

UA could open up L+P inventory within 14 days of travel without risking selling cheap L tickets on the nonstop because almost all cheap coach fares have a 14-day advance purchase requirement. Within T-14, cheapest coach fare they'll sell on EWR-LAS is a $642 r/t V fare.

I think possibly buy-ups ignore the advance purchase requirements????.

(Fares filed are pretty much the same for one-way travel.)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: *
I have a flight next month from EWR to LAS for work, and while I am booked in economy now, I can get an upgrade to First for only $67. The upgrade for the flight home is $1,500+. Has anyone ever seen an upgrade that cheap? Although I'd have to pay out of pocket, I'm seriously considering it. When I first booked a month ago it was $300, then last week it was $150, and now $67. Something seems wrong here, no?

Also, just noticed, Economy Plus is actually more expensive to upgrade to than First, at $76+.
Usually you should first snag this deal (purchase it and secure your F seat, sometimes even take the flight) before you post it. UA relies on this website as a free customer research facility and for detection of errors and loopholes in their systems. Don't be surprised if next time you post something like this that it is not available 10 minutes later. This website is closely monitored by airlines and related interests.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jewels421
I have a client in Vegas and have flown SFO-LAS several times in the past few months. I think I've been CPUed almost every time. Maybe they just have zero elites on the flight right now. Still, $67 is crazy. Enjoy your flight in F!
There were 9 open F seats when I paid the $67 last night.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
This is a bit weird.

Looking at published fares for round trips, the only W fare I see posted EWR-LAS is a $528 r/t fare basis WAA14AHN.

For first-class travel, I see a $708 r/t LAU14AKS/UPDI fare which books into first. It has a 14-day advance purchase requirement, but let's assume that buy-up offers ignore those??.I think possibly buy-ups ignore the advance purchase requirements????.
Where do you see that cheap of an -UP fare published? It doesn't come up in KVS. I just see a ~$2K V-UP as the cheapest. And the W is $792 r/t.

As for the advance purchase requirement for these cheap -UPs - yes, UA has always ignored these when it came to TODs :-:
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by fly747first
Right. LAS is a highly "leisure" market.
As a 1K I've missed out on CPUs on EWR-LAS, esp if they're using the A319/320

On the flip side, for Sunday non-red eye LAS-EWR eastbound, I'm so close to 0% rate that I don't even bother checking the UG list

YMMV
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Where do you see that cheap of an -UP fare published? It doesn't come up in KVS. I just see a ~$2K V-UP as the cheapest. And the W is $792 r/t.
I have just asked ExpertFlyer to show me one-way UA fares EWR-LAS for a 1 October departure.

Here's what it spits out (apologies for the mess):
Code:
Fares 19 items		
Fare Basis	Airline	Booking Class	Trip Type	Fare	Cabin	Effective Date	Expiration Date	Min / Max Stay	Adv Purchase Req	 	 	 
LAU14AKS/UPDI	UA	L 	One-Way	354.00(USD)	E	09/16/14
03/04/15
LAG14AHS/UPDI	UA	L 	One-Way	358.00(USD)	E	08/25/14
11/19/14
TAA14AHS/UPDI	UA	T 	One-Way	387.00(USD)	E	08/25/14
11/19/14
TAA14AGS/UPDI	UA	T 	One-Way	397.00(USD)	E	 	10/01/15
WAA14AHN/UPDI	UA	W 	One-Way	433.00(USD)	E	 	 	 	14 			
VAA07AGS/UPDI	UA	V 	One-Way	460.00(USD)	E	 	10/01/15
QAA14AHN/UPDI	UA	Q 	One-Way	465.00(USD)	E	 	 	 	14 			
HAA14AHN/UPDI	UA	H 	One-Way	503.00(USD)	E	 	 	 	14 			
HAA07AHN/UPDI	UA	H 	One-Way	513.00(USD)	E	 	 	 	07
I dunno whether the relevant KVS fare search can see UA "UPDI" buy-up fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.