Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Even though that leaves an a different day? I guess that's how they keep this so limited.
It leaves on the same day (28/Oct). It's a daily flight.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by segacs
It's on the same day. Oct 28th, right?

Anyway, hotel prices are so cheap in IST now that you could book yourself something quite nice for a few dollars, and have complete control over where you stay.
The other one leaves KUL on Oct 27, arrives 28th. The one I posted leaves and arrives 28th. I'll take a look.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, EK, SQ, MH
Hi I have a long layover (20+ hrs) at IST on 30 Oct, I'm thinking of joining the 9am-6pm tour. Rather than going back to the airport before 6pm, I'm thinking of breaking off from the tour and continue exploring until night time and get back to the airport myself as my next flight is at 1am midnight, not sure whether it's possible tho.

If anyone is having a layover or joining the tour on the same day do hit me up =)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: LH
So I had a 10.5hrs layover in IST today connecting from MIA to SIN on TK (bad flight timings but the price was tough to beat).

I proceeded straight to the hotel desk where a grumpy lady processed me without saying much and told me to wait "over there". After about 35mins, I went to enquire and was told 2mins. Asked again 10mins later and was told 2mins. I then asked for my boarding pass to be returned, cancelled the hotel and instead took the metro downtown and had a great time soaking in the Saturday evening atmosphere in town.

Is it common to wait quite a while to be told when you're going where?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:58 pm

Can someone give me some advice please? I have two options from Bangkok with one arriving at 5 pm same day and one arriving at 5 am next day. I would be connecting to Toronto departing at 2:15 pm. I see there is a free tour that leaves at 8:30 am till 11 am. If I decide to take the arrival at 5 pm for an overnight, can I still go back to the airport the next day and take advantage of this free tour? Is it worth staying overnight on a Monday in July?

Last edited by davethegr8; Oct 27, 2016 at 5:07 pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by davethegr8
Can someone give me some advice please? I have two options from Bangkok with one arriving at 5 pm same day and one arriving at 5 am next day. I would be connecting to Toronto departing at 2:15 pm. I see there is a free tour that leaves at 8:30 am till 11 am. If I decide to take the arrival at 5 pm for an overnight, can I still go back to the airport the next day and take advantage of this free tour? Is it worth staying overnight on a Monday in July?
You wouldn't be eligible for the free hotel if you take the 5pm for the overnight, because of the shorter connection option. However, the tour is open to anyone, so you can definitely pay for your own hotel and then take the tour. Note that you'll need a Turkish visa to go landside.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davethegr8
With such limited time, you're probably better off booking the longer connection and then wandering around Sultanahmet yourself.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by md125
Re: arrivals - Turkish indicated that it wouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't say it in those terms. I guess we'll find out.

Re: luggage - it's really just clothes. Would be nice not to drag a bunch of suitcases around, but I can see your point
Post-trip update:

I went on the tour with my family on August 15. We ended up with a 23.5 hour layover, arriving at 9 PM Aug 14 and leaving 8:30 PM Aug 15. We checked all of our bags through, which turned out to be the right choice, by far.

We self-booked a cheap hotel near the airport for Sunday evening. At ~$68 for the whole family, it was far cheaper to book a hotel and get the free tour than get a hotel and pay for a tour.

We had no trouble getting in to the airport on Monday morning and qualifying for the tour. The tour itself filled two coach buses. We were dropped off for breakfast near the Old City, and the rest of the day was a walking tour from that point. Half the group went back on one bus after lunch, and the rest of us spent the afternoon in the market before going back to the airport.

If we hadn't checked our bags through, they would have stayed on the bus and been moved around by local staff since the bus taking us back to the airport wasn't the same one we came on. It was nice not to have to deal with that. Luckily, it all magically appeared on the belt at our final destination, a day and a half after we left Paris

One thing to note. The roads leading into the airport were very crowded due to the security situation, as was the security line itself at the airport. They seemed to cut the tour a bit from the itinerary on line to get us back a bit earlier. We saw most of what was on the itinerary, but there was at least on attraction that we walked past without going in, and no comment from the guide.

Overall though, great tour if you have or can work out a layover that works with their schedules.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Overall though, great tour if you have or can work out a layover that works with their schedules.
Thanks for the detailed trip report!

I have a 21-hour layover coming up in Istanbul in a few weeks (Saturday night to Sunday afternoon). Based on everything I'm reading, I'm considering foregoing the hotel *or* tour and just doing my own thing.

My reasoning is: Since my second flight leaves at 3pm, the only tour I could hypothetically do would be the 8:30am-11am "sightseeing tour", which doesn't appear to take in many of the major sites in the Old City. I'm also not keen on bus tours in general. I prefer to walk around at my own pace, taking things in, photographing architecture, etc. I realize on a Sunday, the Grand Bazaar will be closed, but I figure I can keep busy for a morning seeing other things in the area.

Meanwhile, the free hotel is likely to be near the airport, with inconvenient transit to get to/from the city. With the low price of hotels right now, I figure I can book something nice and inexpensive in the Sultenahmet area, and then spend the morning wandering around sightseeing on my own before taking the metro back to the airport (hopefully bypassing the traffic in the process). I'll be jetlagged flying back from the east, so I figure if I get to sleep early, I can wake up early and maybe even get some nice sunrise photos.

Can anyone who's been to Istanbul comment on whether this is a decent strategy for a first-time visitor to the city? Or is there any value in taking advantage of the tour, or the hotel?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9h55m layover for economy ticket

Will the hotel request be declined with an economy ticket on a 9h55m layover? (I imagine so. )

Follow-up question: is the 0900-1500 tour a bad idea with a 1600 departure?

edit: flying w/ *G status (via UA), if that has any bearing.

Last edited by fumje; Nov 2, 2016 at 8:44 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by DinoKev
not sure whether it's possible tho. =)
On our tour, someone wanted to stay later and they were told that it wouldn't be a problem, just let them know (and of course, find your own way back to the airport, which isn't difficult either by taxi or metro).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, EK, SQ, MH
On our tour, someone wanted to stay later and they were told that it wouldn't be a problem, just let them know (and of course, find your own way back to the airport, which isn't difficult either by taxi or metro).
Thanks md125. I've been on the tour on 30 Oct. Went to the TK hotel desk and they only asked for the outbound boarding pass without even asking for my inbound tickets or anything.

So for those who are asking whether you can join the tour if your layover is more than 24 hours, technically you can just present you boarding pass within 24 hours and they will most likely let you join too as they don't often check your connecting time.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I did the 8:30-11am tour last Sunday as I had a lay over of 7 hours. I wasn't sure if I was also entitled for a free hotel since my layover is more than 7 hrs although I really wanted to take the tour so did not inquire abt it. There were about 60 of us and we had 2 buses, had 2 stops, first in Galatea Bridge for about 10mins and then in Dolmabahce Palace where we were given 35mins. It was a nice tour but would definitely recommend the longer tours if your schedule fits as you will be able to see more.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
TK12 - TK52, scheduled layover time at IST, 17:30 - 2:25 am (almost 9 hours), flying in J.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Coming from Europe, those late afternoon - late evening connections I'd say absolutely not (your body clock says evening, don't sleep yet) - but coming from JFK, I've no clue how your body clock will react.

I'd say be prepared for both options: If you feel tired/sleepy when arriving in IST, maybe getting a few hours of proper sleep in a real hotel might be worth it, but on the other hand, if you feel awake enough, the lounge isn't such a bad place for some hours of relaxation, food, and a bit of drinking. Considering you've a long haul flight after that, you could sleep there (if your body clock is on "night" mode by then) so that wouldn't be a problem either.

In your case, I'd say let your body decide on your plans. The time difference (roughly half a day over your whole trip) will pretty much kill any time feeling for yourself anyway..
Thanks for the feedback, took the hotel option instead, and it's definitely worth it even with a few hours of rest and shower in the hotel rather than the lounge (this also helps filling up hotel rooms in Istanbul).

The only minor issue is time needed to get this done, 30 min immigration even at J queue (much longer at regular queue), 30 min waiting for hotel arrangement, 30 min traffic on the expressway, got to the hotel at 7 pm (Mercure) and ready to leave shortly.

I am scheduled to be picked up at 11:00 pm, IMO, way too early as I can just walz through special queue next to the lounge in no time.

So I only recommend hotel if you have at least 10 hours and it's not your first time going through IST and you know exactly where to go and what to do next. For first timers, just head to lounge and enjoy the food and amenities.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:47 am

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear back from fellow travellers with details about the current situation (which in the case of Turkey has been massively changed in the recent months..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.