Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:43 am

I am flying J on 8/13, my connection time is 6h 50m stop Istanbul (IST), notice 6:50 and not 7

London (LHR) 6:00 PM flying to Istanbul (IST) 11:50 PM
6h 50m stop Istanbul (IST)
Istanbul (IST) 6:40 AM flying to Washington (IAD) 11:10 AM

Will I get a hotel room?
Also, is the hotel room inside the terminal? I don't want to leave the airport with the existing situation.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I am flying J on 8/13, my connection time is 6h 50m stop Istanbul (IST), notice 6:50 and not 7

Will I get a hotel room?
Also, is the hotel room inside the terminal? I don't want to leave the airport with the existing situation.
Unlikely but you can try. All hotels are outside. You can book the TAV transit hotel at your own expense or stay in the lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT

Will I get a hotel room?
As starflyergold noted, to get to the hotel desk you would have to clear immigration which may or may not involve getting a visa depending on your nationality. I don't know if THY ever uses the TAV airside hotel but I doubt it.

If I were you I would head for the lounge and ask at the front desk and, if they in the very likely event turn your request down, head for the relaxation rooms as it sounds like you do qualify for one of them.

For a 6:50 hour layover I wouldn't leave the airport. When you factor in the time to clear immigration, transit to and from the hotel, checkin and check out, getting back to the airport you would have much time left to spend in the room anyways.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
There is no 6.40am flight to IAD - please double check your itinerary (FYI the only flight departs at 2.45pm):

13AUGISTWAS¤TK«
13AUG SAT IST/Z‡3 WAS/EDT-7
TK RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
13TK 7 C4 D4 Z7 K4 J4 I4 R4 Y7 ISTIAD 1445 1915 333 0
B7 M7 A4 H0 S0 O0 E0 Q0 T0 L0 V0 P0 W0 U0 X0 N0 G0
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by boosh
As starflyergold I don't know if THY ever uses the TAV airside hotel but I doubt it.
There were reports on this forum that Lounge Front Desk can book TAV Hotel for eligible C-class passengers.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

I'm familiar with the concept of FF miles etc but what an odd itinerary (flying 3-4 hours in the opposite direction followed by a 7 hour layover at IST resulting in almost 24 hours to get to IAD) when you have multiple direct flights LHR-IAD It was much cheaper flying via IST? - or the purpose was the increased FFP points/miles?

Anyway, there is a later TK LHR-IST flight (13AUG TK1984, 22:15 - 04:05) which means that you certainly will not get any free hotel from TK (you could have taken the later flight to reduce your layover time)

Last edited by SK AAR; Jul 25, 2016 at 5:29 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TPJ
There is no 6.40am flight to IAD - please double check your itinerary (FYI the only flight departs at 2.45pm):

13AUGISTWAS¤TK«
13AUG SAT IST/Z‡3 WAS/EDT-7
TK RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
13TK 7 C4 D4 Z7 K4 J4 I4 R4 Y7 ISTIAD 1445 1915 333 0
B7 M7 A4 H0 S0 O0 E0 Q0 T0 L0 V0 P0 W0 U0 X0 N0 G0
There is a 6:40AM flight on 14th Aug, and OP has an overnight in IST
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm familiar with the concept of FF miles etc but what an odd itinerary (flying 3-4 hours in the opposite direction followed by a 7 hour layover at IST resulting in almost 24 hours to get to IAD) when you have multiple direct flights LHR-IAD It was much cheaper flying via IST? - or the purpose was the increased FFP points/miles?

Anyway, there is a later TK LHR-IST flight (13AUG TK1984, 22:15 - 04:05) which means that you certainly will not get any free hotel from TK (you could have taken the later flight to reduce your layover time)
I agree, its weird but saves my company about $900 on a business class tkt. I am also booked on a UA direct flight and might cancel the TK ticket as you stated, it doesn't make any sense, time wise and everything that is going on in Turkey these days. also the later flight is not A333/A332, hence the reason I choose it.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
There is a 6:40AM flight on 14th Aug, and OP has an overnight in IST
Yep - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THY177
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by TPJ
There were reports on this forum that Lounge Front Desk can book TAV Hotel for eligible C-class passengers.
Yes. Earlier this year, I approached the Lady taking booking for the relaxation rooms. I just needed about three hours of shut eye. She advised me to go to the front desk and they will arrange a room in the TAV hotel instead. My layover was just under 7 hours.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:56 pm

Hello everyone! Is the Hotel Desk available at SAW airport? I have a 12 hs layover with change of airport always flying with TK
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes. Earlier this year, I approached the Lady taking booking for the relaxation rooms. I just needed about three hours of shut eye. She advised me to go to the front desk and they will arrange a room in the TAV hotel instead. My layover was just under 7 hours.
You got a room at the TAV Airside despite your layover being less than 7 hours? Well done
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Luga Luz
Hello everyone! Is the Hotel Desk available at SAW airport? I have a 12 hs layover with change of airport always flying with TK
I have not been to SAW in over three (?) years so I don't remember, but on the TK site they only state that it is located past immigration. I would assume that the normal rules for transit times and that it has to be an INT/INT connection would still apply for both airports though.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by boosh
You got a room at the TAV Airside despite your layover being less than 7 hours? Well done

I was totally surprised - at the end, I just had a bit of a sleep and shower then went back to the Lounge to work and feed.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by roadwarrier

I was totally surprised - at the end, I just had a bit of a sleep and shower then went back to the Lounge to work and feed.
Do lounge desk also book TAV airside hotel for Economy class tickets ? I will have 10.5 hour at night between two flights (HEL-IST-CLJ).
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:04 pm

Hi All,

I guess I am in a slightly similar position. I have a class X ticket booked using United miles, flying from BOS to TBS on 8/12. I'm scheduled to arrive at 4:10 PM in IST (but looking at flightaware, it's potentially between 3:30-4 PM.) My connecting flight to TBS won't be until 1:40 AM. So currently as scheduled, I have 9.5 hour layover in IST which is a bit short of a free hotel and a little late for the last TK tour (leaves at 4 PM I believe.) I don't feel super comfortable going into the city on my own. If we arrive early, could I still get a hotel? Would I qualify for anything else? Or should I just find a lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.