Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
No. Not because of the 00:25 departure (which is not a valid connection so not relevant), but because at least on the dates I checked there's multiple other later CAI-IST flights that give a much shorter connected. eg, TK691 arriving around midday.
Oh OK, I thought it was just the departing flight that mattered. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Just a data point, ELPL flying Y, sent to Lionel Hotel. Took 2 hours from hotel desk line to hotel checkin, so definitely would not bother with a short layover.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know how flexible the hotel desk is with special hotel requests? I prefer staying at the Courtyard or the Renaissance Polat over the other hotels.

TK E+ flying J
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:04 pm

Landed at 557am this morning from Johannesburg and finally got to the hotel (Grand Yavuz in Sultanahmet) at 845am. Almost 1.5 hours sitting at Starbucks waiting for enough passengers to fill up the bus before we left.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by EK788
Does anyone know how flexible the hotel desk is with special hotel requests? I prefer staying at the Courtyard or the Renaissance Polat over the other hotels.

TK E+ flying J
Never seen them be anything remotely approaching flexible on anything. They usually won't even tell you the name of the hotel until you actually get there ("follow this man, he will take you"). That said, I've always gotten Courtyard when flying in J class, but it's not a large sample size. Personally, I prefer the Renaissance Polat or even the Ramada Atakoy to the Courtyard for an overnight stay though, but the Courtyard is fine for a daytime layover.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EK788

TK E+ flying J
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Never seen them be anything remotely approaching flexible on anything. They usually won't even tell you the name of the hotel until you actually get there ("follow this man, he will take you"). That said, I've always gotten Courtyard when flying in J class, but it's not a large sample size. Personally, I prefer the Renaissance Polat or even the Ramada Atakoy to the Courtyard for an overnight stay though, but the Courtyard is fine for a daytime layover.
Just as an update to this, I requested the Renaissance Polat and they had no problem giving it to me
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:28 am

Hi, has anyone tried to claim a hotel with a booking class L? Which ones would go for this class?
Has anyone flown with a child? Do they count a separate bed for a child at a hotel? Many hotels on their sites list that a child up to 12 y.o. can stay in existing beds. Just thinking if we'll end up three of us in one king bed (my husband, 11 y.o. child and me)?

My itinerary is
06.Jul.2017 / 11:40 VNO to IST
07.Jul.2017 / 13:05 IST to SFO
and similarly back

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by fluke712
Thanks everyone for a very helpful thread. Two additional datapoints for hotels flying in J:

- flying SFO->IST, asked for Polat Renaissance but was told that J passengers are now assigned the Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel & Convention Center. New hotel with a terrific gym but taxi drivers generally unfamiliar with the location.
- flying IST->SFO, assigned Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel. Not as good as Pullman.

Waited about 20 minutes at the hotel desk to get the assignment the first time (~7 pm), waited about 5 minutes to get the assignment the second time (~10 pm).
regarding the istanbul tour -can you still get it if you have connection with turkish thru istanbul on separate tickets?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
regarding the istanbul tour -can you still get it if you have connection with turkish thru istanbul on separate tickets?
I think you only have to show them your inbound and outbound BP
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:09 pm

thanks!!

another question -they do have to both on turkish dont they...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Yes they do
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by rodriarano
Oh OK, I thought it was just the departing flight that mattered. Thanks for the info!
thanks all
there are 3tours listed in the header for this thread but seems there are actually 4..
a walking tour from 4pm to 9pm
has anyone tried this and can report-as i would like to try
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:07 pm

and one more if you just do the tournot the hotel-is it correct that you dont need a visa or do you need to get one?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
and one more if you just do the tournot the hotel-is it correct that you dont need a visa or do you need to get one?
From the topic wiki:

"You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/"
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Two data points: I purchased my ticket a few hours before the first flight which did not give me time to get an e-Visa. I was able to get a Visa in the airport for $30 which allowed for multiple entries. The airline put me up at the Holiday Inn Express which is next to the Courtyard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.