Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Thanks everyone for a very helpful thread. Two additional datapoints for hotels flying in J:

- flying SFO->IST, asked for Polat Renaissance but was told that J passengers are now assigned the Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel & Convention Center. New hotel with a terrific gym but taxi drivers generally unfamiliar with the location.
- flying IST->SFO, assigned Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel. Not as good as Pullman.

Waited about 20 minutes at the hotel desk to get the assignment the first time (~7 pm), waited about 5 minutes to get the assignment the second time (~10 pm).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus
Hi everyone,

I've had conflicting information from Turkish regarding hotel accommodation, and would appreciate some advice.

I was originally set to fly TLV-IST-OSL (in J) later this month, leaving at 15:25 and arriving shortly before midnight at OSL. Unfortunately, they cancelled the evening flight IST-OSL, so I had to reschedule. They originally proposed leaving TLV at 8:50 and getting the afternoon flight to OSL, but I told them there was no way I was taking that flight from TLV, so I ended up with my original flight from TLV and the 9:15 to OSL the next morning. The guy I spoke to told me I could go to the hotel desk, tell them about the cancellation, and they would provide me with accommodation. However, he never actually put that change through, leaving me with just the flight to IST. Thus, I emailed them and asked to have that rectified - which they agreed to do, but I was then told (in broken English), that they wouldn't provide me with accommodation...

So, my question is: should I call/email and argue; wait until I arrive in IST and go to the hotel desk (and argue, if necessary); or give up and book room at my own cost. (I'd prefer to have an advance booking if I'm unlikely to get a room from TK.)
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I guess it comes down to, what's your time worth to you? They probably owe you a room. But prices in IST are so cheap right now for accommodation that it may be less hassle to simply book your own.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus
Thanks!

I must confess that them saying yes, then no, has annoyed me a bit - perhaps enough that I feel like having a stab at arguing If I get anyone to promise me a room on the phone will that actually be noted down somewhere, or do I have to start over at the hotel desk?

For the other option - I'm sure I've seen various hotels recommended here, but if anyone has got some up-to-date recommendations that would be appreciated.

A further question, if I may: can I get into the lounge both the evening I arrive and the morning before I leave?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
They put me in the Gorrion Hotel a few days ago after telling them that I don't want to wait for a bus. I meant that I'd be happy to pay for my own transportation, however they went ahead and gave me the full VIP treatment with a private car.

The hotel itself was very nice, a standard 5* airport hotel.

I'm Elite+ and I was flying Y if that matters.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
First time doing this. I was in C and given the Renaissance Polat. That was a pretty good experience.

It will sure be easier (and a lot less stressful) to do this in the future once I've been through it first the first time.

The TK Hotel Desk is found after customs--turn right as one exits customs after picking up your checked luggage and go a fair way down--all the to just before the Starbucks and the TK Arrivals lounge. Get in line--when I was there around midnight, it was a sizable line being handled by two agents.

Give your boarding passes to the agent at the window. I was told to sit in the starbucks area and wait.

You'll likely see a lot of other people waiting. They'll come out and call groups for the bus. Listen carefully as the agent might struggle saying the names. It appears that there was a C group and a Y group in two different groups/buses.

At the hotel they'll tell you what time TK will come to pick you up the next morning. I was picked up 2.75 hrs early and this barely allowed any lounge time.

This was my first time flying TK to the US and there seemed to be extra security checks. The only one of consequence was the one right before entering the gate area -- so be aware if you're in the lounge. This security check was a big time sucks and this was using the C/Elite line. Heaven knows how long that would have taken if in the Y line. A lot of the issues was too many people crammed in to too small of an area. It seemed to be shared between several flights heading to the US. We were bused to the plane which was kind of a drag.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Are passengers travelling on FF (award) tickets eligible?

Do you need to arrange the hotel in advance or do you simply present to the hotel desk?

Finally, the day rooms in the lounge that have been mentioned: what are the access criteria for these? I'm about to depart TLL and have an eight hour layover before flying onwards to HKG. The day room would probably do me nicely.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by danger
Are passengers travelling on FF (award) tickets eligible?

Do you need to arrange the hotel in advance or do you simply present to the hotel desk?

Finally, the day rooms in the lounge that have been mentioned: what are the access criteria for these? I'm about to depart TLL and have an eight hour layover before flying onwards to HKG. The day room would probably do me nicely.
Same eligibility for a award as paid. You cannot book in advance so you will have to present at the hotel desk, this will mean passing immigration.

The relaxation rooms are for layovers of 4-7 hours for J or E+ PAX. As your layover is over 7 hours you will not be eligible for the relaxation rooms. You can enquiry at the lounge front desk if they can put you up at the TAV airside hotel although it has only been rumoured they will do this I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boosh
Same eligibility for a award as paid. You cannot book in advance so you will have to present at the hotel desk, this will mean passing immigration.

The relaxation rooms are for layovers of 4-7 hours for J or E+ PAX. As your layover is over 7 hours you will not be eligible for the relaxation rooms. You can enquiry at the lounge front desk if they can put you up at the TAV airside hotel although it has only been rumoured they will do this I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it
Thanks for that. I couldn't find any information on the IST website about a hotel but I'll enquire and see how I get on.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The flight from TLL arrived at a remote bay about 45 minutes late, reducing the layover time to a little over seven hours. I enquired at the lounge about a day room and was told I was entitled to a hotel, nothing else. I told the agent the inbound was delayed and she told me it didn't matter; eligibility remains the same even if the layover time is reduced. So, essentially, if you originally had a seven plus hour layover and through a delay that's reduced to between four and seven hours, you're still expected to avail yourself of the hotel. No day room for you.

The airport hotel wanted an extortionate EUR139 for three to six hours. My guess they're killing the pig.

I'm not prepared to pay USD60-odd for a visa for a few hours and therefore be shown on Immigration systems as having entered Turkey. Been there, done that.

I also agree with the member above who noted the appalling lack of signage at the airport.

Right now I'm sitting downstairs in the lounge where a girl of about eight years of age has started playing some pretty decent tunes on the piano.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by danger
The flight from TLL arrived at a remote bay about 45 minutes late, reducing the layover time to a little over seven hours. I enquired at the lounge about a day room and was told I was entitled to a hotel, nothing else. I told the agent the inbound was delayed and she told me it didn't matter; eligibility remains the same even if the layover time is reduced. So, essentially, if you originally had a seven plus hour layover and through a delay that's reduced to between four and seven hours, you're still expected to avail yourself of the hotel. No day room for you.

The airport hotel wanted an extortionate EUR139 for three to six hours. My guess they're killing the pig.

I'm not prepared to pay USD60-odd for a visa for a few hours and therefore be shown on Immigration systems as having entered Turkey. Been there, done that.

I also agree with the member above who noted the appalling lack of signage at the airport.

Right now I'm sitting downstairs in the lounge where a girl of about eight years of age has started playing some pretty decent tunes on the piano.
Did you inquire at the lounge front desk upstairs weather they would put you up at the airside hotel? There have been rumors of them doing it but nothing confirmed as far as I understand. As for the day rooms, you are not missing out on much in my opinion, they can get quite noisy and are not all that relaxing.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:22 am

Any evidence on a 8am arrival flight and 3pm departure whether they will grant access to tour?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:41 pm

I had a 8-hour layover at IST last week and was denied a sleeping room in the lounge, as my layover was over 7 hours. The staff at the lounge entrance offered a free hotel, but it's outside the airport (I was told it's not possible to get an airport hotel within the secured area), so I'd have to go through passport control, go to the hotel/tour desk to arrange for a hotel voucher and shuttle transfer, and the return shuttle would have been at 3 hours prior to my departure. This would also require paying a visa fee for my spouse, as well as another round of passport and security controls to re-enter the airport... too much hassle for too little time at the hotel. In the end, we declined the hotel offer and just stayed in the lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:13 pm

We'll be arriving (CAI-IST) on TK695 at 0:20 and leaving (IST-DXB) on TK760 at 19:25; there's a IST-DXB flight at 0:25, do you guys think we'd be eligible for the free hotel night? If so, will the guest desk at IST be open at +0:20 am to go ask for the hotel?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rodriarano
We'll be arriving (CAI-IST) on TK695 at 0:20 and leaving (IST-DXB) on TK760 at 19:25; there's a IST-DXB flight at 0:25, do you guys think we'd be eligible for the free hotel night?
No. Not because of the 00:25 departure (which is not a valid connection so not relevant), but because at least on the dates I checked there's multiple other later CAI-IST flights that give a much shorter connected. eg, TK691 arriving around midday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.