Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:03 am

STPC on an award ticket & STPC on an Economy ticket

The OP (from 2013) states that Business Class passengers are entitled to a free hotel when there are no scheduled same-day flight connections.

Is this still valid, i.e. are Y passengers are excluded from this offer?

On my onward trip, I will be on a Y ticket.

On the return leg, I will be flying in Business Class, but on an award ticket. So does the fact that it is not a revenue ticket, exclude me from getting a free transit hotel?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:01 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by carpediem22
The OP (from 2013) states that Business Class passengers are entitled to a free hotel when there are no scheduled same-day flight connections.

Is this still valid, i.e. are Y passengers are excluded from this offer?

On my onward trip, I will be on a Y ticket.

On the return leg, I will be flying in Business Class, but on an award ticket. So does the fact that it is not a revenue ticket, exclude me from getting a free transit hotel?
Here are the rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.
Award tickets are not excluded.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:42 pm

Here a cheeky one, if someone can help answer or give some info

Jan 26 BLQ IST TK 1322 11.30 15.05 Y
Jan 29 IST BOG TK 175 01.10 08.00 Y

Would this qualify for two free nights ?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
I have 9:40h connection time and 9:45h on the way back, ticket in Y class. Do you think it's worth to visit hotel desk to ask for a hotel (I'm TK Elite) or they are sticking to that 10h period so no chances at all?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:19 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by lordlucan
Here a cheeky one, if someone can help answer or give some info

Jan 26 BLQ IST TK 1322 11.30 15.05 Y
Jan 29 IST BOG TK 175 01.10 08.00 Y

Would this qualify for two free nights ?
I doubt it - BLQ-IST is a daily flight and there should always be a same day connection.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Was rejected a free hotel on the following route: BOD-IST-KIV.
The connection was about 22 hours, but there was indeed a BOD-IST flight the next day which would bring the connection down to 2 hours.
However, am i forced to fly the next day? That's a tough one... Which leg is the decisive one - the first one or the second one? I needed to leave BOD that particular day, not the next one...
Old May 7, 2016, 4:37 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by igor82j
However, am i forced to fly the next day?
Well - yes - if there is same day connection you will not get the hotel.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:43 am
TPJ

Good experience

I had really good experience flying to EZE the other day.

I gave the Hotel Desk Rep my inbound and outbound B/Pass. She confirmed I am eligible and asked to wait for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes ('normal', not Tuskish) together with 2 more folks we were sent to a minibus which took us to Polat Renaissance. I was give a nice room in an annex building next to the swimming pool. On the following morning the driver shown up at 7am as scheduled.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:09 pm

Same experience as TPJ - they're well organized (and even IF they have a great amount of misconnects they handle well and can provide hotel rooms to hundreds of pax within 30min - own experience ) so if your flight connection is "allowed", the service works perfectly fine.

I've had used it on several "weird" connections (like Europe-Europe ) - never raised an eyebrow. If it's legal, it's fine.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I have a flight KTM-IST-YUL in November that I think would be eligible for the free hotel under these rules? I get into Istanbul at 17:50 on Saturday, and fly out to YUL at 14:00 the next day (Sunday). Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, there are no other flights that would make for a shorter connection on that route.

Since I've never been to Istanbul, would it make more sense to simply book my own accommodations closer to the city centre and try to get in a bit of sightseeing? Or is it not worth it, being late November and a weekend with early closing times, etc.? I'm not a paranoid traveller either, but I'm a bit iffy about the variable security situation, too.

I should note that I had a terrible experience with Turkish Airlines on my way home from Tashkent last summer, missing a connection and dealing with utterly incompetent staff at the transfer desk. Even if my connection allows for a free hotel, is it really worth the hassle of leaving it up to the airline personnel?

Any thoughts from anyone who's recently done this?

ETA: In case it makes a difference, I'm travelling economy class on a reward ticket booked via Aeroplan.

Last edited by segacs; May 9, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by segacs
I have a flight KTM-IST-YUL in November that I think would be eligible for the free hotel under these rules? I get into Istanbul at 17:50 on Saturday, and fly out to YUL at 14:00 the next day (Sunday). Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, there are no other flights that would make for a shorter connection on that route.

Since I've never been to Istanbul, would it make more sense to simply book my own accommodations closer to the city centre and try to get in a bit of sightseeing? Or is it not worth it, being late November and a weekend with early closing times, etc.? I'm not a paranoid traveller either, but I'm a bit iffy about the variable security situation, too.
I tried to make a dummy booking on TK.com but of course the website gives back an error.
For what I remember the IST-YUL is daily thus you will be provided the free hotel.
From there you can just catch a taxi to the center without bothering to book a new hotel on your own.
Sometimes TK provides hotel halfway to the Sultanhamet anyway.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:27 am

segacs, coming from the east you'll be tired earlier (due to time difference) - I would do as following: On arrival, get landside to the TK hotel desk, let them accomodate you.

Take the shuttle to the hotel. On arrival it will be probably past 7pm, and you might feel (very) sleepy already. If so, and depending where you're exactly, I might suggest an "early to bed and early to ride" scenario.

If the hotel is near a metro (or relatively near the centre) just go early next day to the city, experience it for a few hours, then get back to the hotel (to change clothes again/take shower/freshen up) to pick up your hand luggage (or full luggage, in case you don't check through) as well, then take the shuttle bus back to the airport. Or if you travel light, to get more time in the city, just bring everything with you and tell them you'll go back to the airport yourself.

If you feel no jetlag and be fully energetic when you get to the hotel, obviously you could also spend the evening night in the centre, then go to the hotel late - the shuttle bus will pick you up around 3-3.5hrs before departure, so you should be able to sleep out.

In any case, using the hotel TK provides + 2 taxi rides to/from the city will be cheaper than a similar hotel downtown (plus you would still have to get there yourself)
Old May 13, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm planning to do a trip to Bilbao at the end of the month. Only available connections from Stockholm require an overnight layover i.e a forced one. Will I have any problems getting a room?
Old May 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
I'm planning to do a trip to Bilbao at the end of the month. Only available connections from Stockholm require an overnight layover i.e a forced one. Will I have any problems getting a room?
If there is no shorter connection (and TK doesn't introduce an earlier/later flight in the meantime - which is close to impossible till the end of the month), and your time in IST is longer than the minimum time needed for a hotel, then yes, a room will be provided without trouble. I've used the TK hotel program on intra-European flights without any questions. It works perfectly fine (And I got decent hotels, like the Hilton Garden Inn)
Old May 13, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Easiest way to find out if your city pair would be considered first connection, do a dummy award ticket booking online, if no flight is available that day you can't book an award ticket. Any connections you're able to book online will be considered first flight/connection for your city pair, just look at the lengths of connections. I presume the hotel desk will process your eligibility the same way.

Again, this is Turkey, rules get bent all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.