Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Free hotel

I have used the "free hotel" option previously.
Now, with this itinerary: DUB-IST-BUS, there are two flights on 6March from DUB-IST:

First flight: TK1976 arriving into IST at 17:35

and

Second flight TK1978 arriving into IST at 23:25.

Only dilay flight from IST-BUS is TK392 departing IST at 12:50 the following day.

Seemingly, both of these connections on TK would allow for "free Hotel" in IST.

If I take the earlier connection rather than the later connection, is there any way I would be denied the free hotel as not the "shortest" conne[/U]

Under a similar situation, what about a TK/TK itinerary from GVA IST-BUS?

GVA to IST has three daily flights on 6March, each one of these three GVA-IST would force an overnight in IST. Does it matter which of these three flights I would take?

First arrives in IST at 15:40, the second arrives at 19:15 and the latest arrives into IST at 22:45. All seemingly would be eligible for free hotel, connecting the following day to BUS at 12:50.
Is there some way of confirming eligibility prior to booking and flying?

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by cagcag; Jan 22, 2016 at 10:40 pm Reason: addtions
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:59 pm

Since the whole getting the voucher to being in the Hotel can take 2 hours. Is it worth it to just get my own cheap airport Hotel and go myself? Would it save me alot of time to do that?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Istanbul tour schedule

Did anyone ever did a TK Istanbul tour outside of Sultanahmet? I did the tour couple of times on different week days but I always end up in Sultanahmet. According to the schedule:

http://www.istanbulinhours.com/tour-schedule

the tours have different itineraries, especially the afternoon ones. I did one Monday afternoon 2 weeks ago, but instead of Pierre Loti Hill we did Hagia Sophia and Grand Bazaar. All my tours were of that area, did anyone ever got out of Sultanahmet? I talked to the guide, and he never heard of tours anywhere else. He didn't know anything about the schedule on the website, he said that he's supposed to take people to whatever attractions are open on the given day in Sultanahmet.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
It's something I always wondered about. You should be likely to get the accomodation anyway, but I'd ring the call center to be 100% sure.
Well, as sure as the TK call center goes...

Please do report back.
Hotel desk assigned me a free night at the nice Gorrian Hotel (unfortunately not close to the centre since I had a whole day)
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: miles&smiles
I don't know if this has been posted before, I certainly didn't know, and the WIKI didn't mention it, but I was just informed that the Lounge Front desk is able to make hotel reservations and will endvaour to book you into the TAV airside hotel. This would be great as you wouldn't have to clear immigration and all that.

I haven't tried it myself yet but was just told by the Front Desk themselves
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by fezoff
I don't know if this has been posted before, I certainly didn't know, and the WIKI didn't mention it, but I was just informed that the Lounge Front desk is able to make hotel reservations and will endvaour to book you into the TAV airside hotel. This would be great as you wouldn't have to clear immigration and all that.

Wow this is certainly a huge positive development if true. Since getting from the airport to an area Hotel can take 2 hours. This is great for those folks that have 6-12 hour connections in particular and who want to maximize the time in the lounge by having a room and being very close to the lounge instead of the waste of time to queue and wait for busses and long lines at hotel check in and then possibly barely having enough time to rest before heading back to the airport. Also saves on the visa fee. Will there be an announcement to this enhancement?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite

That would be great news indeed! I remember asking at the front desk for information about where to go for the hotel the first time I used it, and the attendant didn't even seem to know about the free hotel landside.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:19 am

I've read through all 32 pages and haven't seen this scenario. Our itinerary is:

Sun., Jun. 26, 2016 | Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Istanbul, TR (IST - Ataturk)
Depart:
6:10 p.m.
Sun., Jun. 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
Arrive:
5:00 p.m. +1 Day
Mon., Jun. 27, 2016
Istanbul, TR (IST - Ataturk)
Travel Time:
12 hr 50 mn
Flight: TK10
Operated By Turkish Airlines
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Fare Class: Business (I)

Tue., Jun. 28, 2016 | Istanbul, TR (IST - Ataturk) to Malaga, ES (AGP)
Depart:
7:55 a.m.
Tue., Jun. 28, 2016
Istanbul, TR (IST - Ataturk)
Arrive:
10:20 a.m.
Tue., Jun. 28, 2016
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Flight Time:
3 hr 25 mn
Flight: TK1937
Operated By Turkish Airlines
Aircraft: Airbus A330-200
Meal: None
Change Planes. Connect time in Brussels, BE (BRU) is 1 hr 35 mn.
Depart:
11:55 a.m.
Tue., Jun. 28, 2016
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Arrive:
2:45 p.m.
Tue., Jun. 28, 2016
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Flight Time:
2 hr 50 mn

Travel Time:
7 hr 50 mn
Flight: SN3735
Operated By Brussels Airlines
Aircraft: Airbus A320

There is a Turkish flight to Brussels on June 27th that we could take, but we could not reach our actual destination (Malaga) that day. The first Turkish non-stop to Malaga leaves June 28th at 9:05 AM, which puts us well over the 7 hour layover. But I'm worried that the hotel desk will deny us because we could fly to Brussels earlier. Has anyone been able to get the hotel in a case like this? Thanks for your insight!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:56 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Question: do you need to have your onward B/Pass (for the following day) or itinerary printout is enough? I would prefer not to send baggage through, but if I request baggage to be sent only to IST they will not give me a B/Pass for the onward flight, right?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Question: do you need to have your onward B/Pass (for the following day) or itinerary printout is enough? I would prefer not to send baggage through, but if I request baggage to be sent only to IST they will not give me a B/Pass for the onward flight, right?
They will / can print out a boarding pass for the onward flight even if you don't check through. With an overnight, just explain that you need things from your luggage and it won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by princeville
I've read through all 32 pages and haven't seen this scenario. Our itinerary is:

There is a Turkish flight to Brussels on June 27th that we could take, but we could not reach our actual destination (Malaga) that day. The first Turkish non-stop to Malaga leaves June 28th at 9:05 AM, which puts us well over the 7 hour layover. But I'm worried that the hotel desk will deny us because we could fly to Brussels earlier. Has anyone been able to get the hotel in a case like this? Thanks for your insight!
You're out of luck. TK won't care for any further connections. You COULD try it, and hope they're not noticing it, and in that case just book a hotel yourself (which might be more expensive on the last minute) but if going by the rules, no chance.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

You're out of luck. TK won't care for any further connections. You COULD try it, and hope they're not noticing it, and in that case just book a hotel yourself (which might be more expensive on the last minute) but if going by the rules, no chance.
Thanks for your input, YuropFlyer. Since the overnight is forced by Turkish Airline's schedule structure, I hoped they would see it that way. I could take the Turkish non-stop to Malaga on the 28th and qualify for the hotel, but business class isn't available and it's an almost five hour flight. It looks like three visas and an airport hotel are still less expensive than the airside TAV hotel, so I'll probably go with that.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by princeville
Thanks for your input, YuropFlyer. Since the overnight is forced by Turkish Airline's schedule structure, I hoped they would see it that way. I could take the Turkish non-stop to Malaga on the 28th and qualify for the hotel, but business class isn't available and it's an almost five hour flight. It looks like three visas and an airport hotel are still less expensive than the airside TAV hotel, so I'll probably go with that.
Intra-europe business class isn't really that wonderful anyway =)
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
They will / can print out a boarding pass for the onward flight even if you don't check through. With an overnight, just explain that you need things from your luggage and it won't be a problem.
Wonderful!

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by duvin
Intra-europe business class isn't really that wonderful anyway =)
True!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

Hmmmmm... I'm diggin' this... I'll have a 14 hour layover and qualify for the hotel, would love to be airside and avoid the visa/immigration. In reading some trip advisor reviews they say it's next door to the lounge, which sounds perfect, get in, grab the room, sleep a few hours, then lounge it up the rest of the day before the flight... Hoping this is a reality!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.