Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by alicity
Hi All,

I guess I am in a slightly similar position. I have a class X ticket booked using United miles, flying from BOS to TBS on 8/12. I'm scheduled to arrive at 4:10 PM in IST (but looking at flightaware, it's potentially between 3:30-4 PM.) My connecting flight to TBS won't be until 1:40 AM. So currently as scheduled, I have 9.5 hour layover in IST which is a bit short of a free hotel and a little late for the last TK tour (leaves at 4 PM I believe.) I don't feel super comfortable going into the city on my own. If we arrive early, could I still get a hotel? Would I qualify for anything else? Or should I just find a lounge?
They only look at schedule time and not the actual arrival / departure time. It sounds like you might get lucky so I see no reason not to try. If you are unsuccessful there are a few nice hotels close to the airport. I usually use the Hilton Garden Inn. They have a shuttle that leaves every hour and their rates are pretty decent, $35-55 I think it is. If there is no shuttle a taxi will set you back TRY20.

I wouldn't fear going into Istanbul by myself anymore than London, Paris, Washington or Copenhagen so if you do have the time and energy I would suggest heading into town for a couple of hours. There are plenty of good resturants to make it worth your while.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by popoemt
Hmmmmm... I'm diggin' this... I'll have a 14 hour layover and qualify for the hotel, would love to be airside and avoid the visa/immigration. In reading some trip advisor reviews they say it's next door to the lounge, which sounds perfect, get in, grab the room, sleep a few hours, then lounge it up the rest of the day before the flight... Hoping this is a reality!
Any updates ? Have you already completed this trip and successful to get TAV airside hotel ?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines
Would I be eligible for free Hotel Accommodation? Do fAirport shuttle works at 4:00a?

Will I be eligible for free hotel accommodation with 15 hours 10 min layover in IST, with the 2 flights below?
Wed, Aug 31, 2016:
11:30a — 3:30p Economy 3h 00m
Nice (NCE) — Istanbul (IST)
Turkish Airlines 1814
Change planes in Istanbul (IST) Long layover 15h 10m
6:40a — 11:10a Takes off Thu, Sep 1 Economy 11h 30m
Istanbul (IST) — Washington (IAD)
Turkish Airlines 177
my 2nd flight is at 6:40a, so I need to be at the airport at 4:40a?
I wonder if the free airport shuttle will operate at 4:30a. Does anybody know?
Also, is anybody signing up for Turkish Airlines' Miles&Smiles eligible to use their lounge?
and how do one qualify for the relaxation rooms?

I would appreciate any advice based on your experience.
Thanks.

Last edited by Minht2; Aug 4, 2016 at 12:33 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Minht2
Will I be eligible for free hotel accommodation with 15 hours 10 min layover in IST, with the 2 flights below?
Wed, Aug 31, 2016:
11:30a — 3:30p Economy 3h 00m
Nice (NCE) — Istanbul (IST)
Turkish Airlines 1814
Change planes in Istanbul (IST) Long layover 15h 10m
6:40a — 11:10a Takes off Thu, Sep 1 Economy 11h 30m
Istanbul (IST) — Washington (IAD)
Turkish Airlines 177
my 2nd flight is at 6:40a, so I need to be at the airport at 4:40a?
I wonder if the free airport shuttle will operate at 4:30a. Does anybody know?
Also, is anybody signing up for Turkish Airlines' Miles&Smiles eligible to use their lounge?
and how do one qualify for the relaxation rooms?

I would appreciate any advice based on your experience.
Thanks.
Afraid not as there is a later flight in the day from Nice that would make your connection 8:10. The minimum connection time is based on TK's schedule and not your actual booked tickets. At the top of this page there is a wiki explaining the rules regarding the free hotel in detail. You might not see that on the mobile version of the page.

To use the lounge you have to be flying J or be a Gold Card holder of a Star Alliance frequent flyer program.

To use the relaxation rooms your connection has to be between 4 and 7 hours and flying J or be Elite+ with M&S.

Last edited by boosh; Aug 4, 2016 at 2:30 am
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
My next trip -

TK12 - TK52, scheduled layover time at IST, 16:30 - 1:25 am (almost 9 hours), flying in J.

Is it worth going to the landside and stay at one of the hotels given (if approved) for only a few hours? I am willing to pay for the hotel myself if TK's not willing to offer free hotel.

Originally Posted by TPJ
There were reports on this forum that Lounge Front Desk can book TAV Hotel for eligible C-class passengers.
If this is confirmed I'd love to use this option, but no way I'd pay 90 Euros for just 3 hours when there's abundant selections near the airport.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:48 am

Coming from Europe, those late afternoon - late evening connections I'd say absolutely not (your body clock says evening, don't sleep yet) - but coming from JFK, I've no clue how your body clock will react.

I'd say be prepared for both options: If you feel tired/sleepy when arriving in IST, maybe getting a few hours of proper sleep in a real hotel might be worth it, but on the other hand, if you feel awake enough, the lounge isn't such a bad place for some hours of relaxation, food, and a bit of drinking. Considering you've a long haul flight after that, you could sleep there (if your body clock is on "night" mode by then) so that wouldn't be a problem either.

In your case, I'd say let your body decide on your plans. The time difference (roughly half a day over your whole trip) will pretty much kill any time feeling for yourself anyway..
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:05 am

What if two options both are qualified for a free hotel?

I have two options to choose from JNB-IST

Plan 1: Arriving IST at 5am
Plan 2: Arriving IST at 8:45am

My next flight is IST-BKK flight which leaves at 8pm-ish.

There are no other flights for JNB-IST and also this IST-BKK is the earliest flight to connect these two flights so both are qualified for the free hotel.

Now, the question is, I'm sure Plan 2 will work since that's the minimum connecting time between the two cities.

However, I want to choose Plan 1, but I'm afraid if the hotel desk agent will turn down the request since "there is later arriving flight", even if that "later arriving flight" is also eligible for a free room.

Anyone had a similar experience?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:11 am

Only "Plan 2" will work / is eligable.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sushimaru
However, I want to choose Plan 1, but I'm afraid if the hotel desk agent will turn down the request since "there is later arriving flight", even if that "later arriving flight" is also eligible for a free room.
I had a similar itinerary a few months back, with the main difference being that it was overnight, and had no issue getting a hotel.

See post 496 in this thread for my flight detail, and port 501 for my results.

However I still suspect that it's technically outside of the rules, so I wouldn't be at all surprised for them to say no. (FWIW, I was in business which might have also helped)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Does anyone know if recent events in Turkey have had any impact on the free hotel assignments?

I know many hotels in Turkey have been operating at reduced load since tourism is down so much. I was thinking of booking my own hotel since the prices are so cheap, even though I'll technically be eligible for the free one, just to save time at the hotel desk upon arrival and be able to custom-select where I want to stay. But if TK is offering nice options for free, maybe it's not worth it?

Curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with this lately and can report back.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I had a similar itinerary a few months back, with the main difference being that it was overnight, and had no issue getting a hotel.

See post 496 in this thread for my flight detail, and port 501 for my results.

However I still suspect that it's technically outside of the rules, so I wouldn't be at all surprised for them to say no. (FWIW, I was in business which might have also helped)
Thanks for the post. I've checked your two posts and you must have been lucky to get one. I think I'll go for a safer side by choosing Option 2. Thanks YuropFlyer also for the answer.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by segacs
Does anyone know if recent events in Turkey have had any impact on the free hotel assignments?

I know many hotels in Turkey have been operating at reduced load since tourism is down so much. I was thinking of booking my own hotel since the prices are so cheap, even though I'll technically be eligible for the free one, just to save time at the hotel desk upon arrival and be able to custom-select where I want to stay. But if TK is offering nice options for free, maybe it's not worth it?

Curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with this lately and can report back.
I just had a very good experience with the transit hotel yesterday. I arrived at 18:30 on a J flight from WAW and was leaving at 1:50 to Singapore, so 7:20 layover. I wasn't tired becase the flight from WAW was great (proper J seats, 2 on each side on a 2h flight!) just bored. I've been in Istanbul many times before and I there was nothing interesting for me to do in 7h so I decided to get a hotel and go to the gym there.

We had a clean transfer (without security) from WAW so I went straight to the lounge. I asked for a hotel in the front desk and they said that I can get a day room in the lounge. I was suprised, because normally they are very strict about the max 7h rule and I was 7:20 but when the alternative is paying for a hotel, I guess there are willing to bend the rules a little. Since I wasn't interested in resting I refused and went to the landside hotel desk.

In he hotel desk I asked for the Radisson Blue becasue it's close to the airport and they have a great gym. They agreed (I don't know if it helped but I'm Elite Plus and both flights in J). There were about 15 more people going to hotels, but to my surprise they all went to one shuttle and I went by myself to another one. From the check in to check out I had 3:30 in the hotel which was very niece, I used their great gym, pool and sauna. I was picked up 3h before the flight and after me the shuttle picked up another family from different hotel. It took pretty long to get back because of the traffic jam to to the security control when entering the airport that took 30 min to clear. I was still ok with 2h to my flight, but the other family had only 1h and they were very nervous about it.

The airport itself seems busier than ever, tons of people everywhere, huge lines. Without the priority I woudn't be able to do any of it. The direct entrance to the lounge is closed because of some renovation in that section. In general the lounge didn't look as good as usual, some of the food wasn't replenished and the pide and turkish raviolli stations were closed on both floors.

Right now I'm on the flight to Singapore which is also great, I have the seats 1A and 1B for myself which I really like because I can seat on 1B and sleep on 1A. This is actually something that I never understand. On the OLCI the whole J was full except 2 seats, but on the plane half of the cabin is empty. Why is that? Is it that half of the pax didn't show up? It happens to me very frequently.

Overall a very positive experience, that's what I love TK for.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by sushimaru
I have two options to choose from JNB-IST

Plan 1: Arriving IST at 5am
Plan 2: Arriving IST at 8:45am

My next flight is IST-BKK flight which leaves at 8pm-ish.

There are no other flights for JNB-IST and also this IST-BKK is the earliest flight to connect these two flights so both are qualified for the free hotel.

Now, the question is, I'm sure Plan 2 will work since that's the minimum connecting time between the two cities.

Anyone had a similar experience?
I thought that there is only one JNB/IST flight a day?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
I thought that there is only one JNB/IST flight a day?
Some days have one, some have two.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by smellme
I just had a very good experience with the transit hotel yesterday. I arrived at 18:30 on a J flight from WAW and was leaving at 1:50 to Singapore, so 7:20 layover. I wasn't tired becase the flight from WAW was great (proper J seats, 2 on each side on a 2h flight!) just bored. I've been in Istanbul many times before and I there was nothing interesting for me to do in 7h so I decided to get a hotel and go to the gym there.

We had a clean transfer (without security) from WAW so I went straight to the lounge. I asked for a hotel in the front desk and they said that I can get a day room in the lounge. I was suprised, because normally they are very strict about the max 7h rule and I was 7:20 but when the alternative is paying for a hotel, I guess there are willing to bend the rules a little. Since I wasn't interested in resting I refused and went to the landside hotel desk.

In he hotel desk I asked for the Radisson Blue becasue it's close to the airport and they have a great gym. They agreed (I don't know if it helped but I'm Elite Plus and both flights in J). There were about 15 more people going to hotels, but to my surprise they all went to one shuttle and I went by myself to another one. From the check in to check out I had 3:30 in the hotel which was very niece, I used their great gym, pool and sauna. I was picked up 3h before the flight and after me the shuttle picked up another family from different hotel. It took pretty long to get back because of the traffic jam to to the security control when entering the airport that took 30 min to clear. I was still ok with 2h to my flight, but the other family had only 1h and they were very nervous about it.

The airport itself seems busier than ever, tons of people everywhere, huge lines. Without the priority I woudn't be able to do any of it. The direct entrance to the lounge is closed because of some renovation in that section. In general the lounge didn't look as good as usual, some of the food wasn't replenished and the pide and turkish raviolli stations were closed on both floors.

Right now I'm on the flight to Singapore which is also great, I have the seats 1A and 1B for myself which I really like because I can seat on 1B and sleep on 1A. This is actually something that I never understand. On the OLCI the whole J was full except 2 seats, but on the plane half of the cabin is empty. Why is that? Is it that half of the pax didn't show up? It happens to me very frequently.

Overall a very positive experience, that's what I love TK for.
Sounds like a great experience! Glad it worked out so well for you.

I suspect my experience will be rather different, since I'm flying economy with no status, and arriving from KTM. Then again, I will have a 20 hour layover (arriving Saturday 6pm; departing Sunday 2pm), so likely plenty of time to deal with the extra hassles.

Having never been to IST other than the airport, I'm hoping to have a couple of hours Sunday AM to get into the Old Town to see a few sights, assuming I wake up super early and whisk my way through them. Hopefully, travelling westward, the jet lag will work to my advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.