Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:37 am

hotel vs tour

is it true that strct enforcement of 10+ hour layover based on shortest possible layover in schedule (not the flights u are taking) is for hotel only and tour is available to anyone with 7+ hour layover?

for example, instead of taking connection within 4 hours, if you opt for coonection in 14 hours, you are not entitles to hotel room but will you be allowed to join tour?

In past, some posters here had reported that they were allowed to join tour even next morning. Any recent data points or confirmed policy?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:38 am

Hello everyone

I am new to the thread...so apologies in advance if my question has already been answered somewhere I am planning to travel from Toronto to Delhi in January. but there is a stopover in Istanbul for 10 hrs & 15mins approx. Am I eligible for the the tour from 12pm-6pm as I reach istanbul at 9.25am?

Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by snehi86
Hello everyone

I am new to the thread...so apologies in advance if my question has already been answered somewhere I am planning to travel from Toronto to Delhi in January. but there is a stopover in Istanbul for 10 hrs & 15mins approx. Am I eligible for the the tour from 12pm-6pm as I reach istanbul at 9.25am?

Thank you
You would be arriving on an Air Canada metal flight, so I wouldn't be sure that it would be allowed. Hopefully someone else could be more factual, as I am just guessing. Based on previous remarks, they seem quite rule based...
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:56 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by snehi86
Hello everyone

Thank you
If you are flying TK yes.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi....just want to make sure:

1 - on the same PNR, can one to the free tour on one way (purposely book a long connection for the tour, pay for own hotel) and STPC hotel another way (forced connection overnight)?

2 - Is the STPC hotel offered even for the lowest TK Website fares (like $699 between USA and Europe)?

Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour when connecting at IST

Hi all, I need some help please:

I am booked on TK1764 (HEL-IST) for a Sat departure connecting to TK9 (IST-LAX) next month (J class).

I chose the shortest connecting time for a Sat departure without realising that there is another flight (TK1426) that leaves Sunday morning that would connect me to TK9. I only notice this a week after I booked.

am I out of luck with the free hotel by TK? (I have used it in the past in the reverse direction from LAX)

thank you
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by kinchai
Hi all, I need some help please:

I am booked on TK1764 (HEL-IST) for a Sat departure connecting to TK9 (IST-LAX) next month (J class).

I chose the shortest connecting time for a Sat departure without realising that there is another flight (TK1426) that leaves Sunday morning that would connect me to TK9. I only notice this a week after I booked.

am I out of luck with the free hotel by TK? (I have used it in the past in the reverse direction from LAX)

thank you
Yes, no exceptions reported.
TK is strict about this perk.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:08 pm

Question never been to IST before and have 9.5 hrs arriving late afternoon in J and next flight is very late also in J. I am really excited to spend alot of time in the CIP Lounge but after a long overnight flight from the USA, I feel like the Hotel will be welcome to take a nap and get back to the airport. I would ideally like to use the rooms in the lounge to sleep for a few hours and be in the leave for 4-5 hours. I feel like I may not have enough time to go through customs take transport to a local Hotel and come back to the airport. Do I need to get any Turkish Lira if I decide to do this and should I request a specific Hotel for them to place me that is very close. I have never done this before and would appreciate any feedback. Like I said arriving in J and departing in J for reference.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
New morning tour (8:30-11:00) - any experiences?

Each first entry into istanbulinhours.com still has a pop-over window advertising that a new tour option will be added as of 10.08.2015. There was earlier discussion whether that meant "October 8" vs. "10 August" but we are way beyond both of those at this point. The schedule does list it, with same sites each day of the week.

Has anyone tried this new option?
Any feedback whether it is worth it to leave the airport and come back in, all for a 2.5 hour tour??

We have qualifying layovers in both directions, and will be in business on all segments:
On the outbound, the layover is 9:10, but not arriving until 15:55. Will probably just stay in the lounge.
On the return, the layover is 8:10, arriving at 05:30 and departing at 13:40. That seems about right for the morning tour, while still providing time in the lounge.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:43 pm

Hi to everybody.

I'll fly GRU-IST arriving at 21.50 and the first IST-FCO is at 08.35 on the next day so I'm sure eligible for free hotel accomodation because the shortest layover is always >10h.
But my question is another one: taking a later IST-FCO flight, for example at 16.20, will I be eligible anyway or could TK refuse to give me the free accomodation?

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Hi to everybody.

I'll fly GRU-IST arriving at 21.50 and the first IST-FCO is at 08.35 on the next day so I'm sure eligible for free hotel accomodation because the shortest layover is always >10h.
But my question is another one: taking a later IST-FCO flight, for example at 16.20, will I be eligible anyway or could TK refuse to give me the free accomodation?

Thanks
It's something I always wondered about. You should be likely to get the accomodation anyway, but I'd ring the call center to be 100% sure.
Well, as sure as the TK call center goes...

Please do report back.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Theoretically you should get it, but there are reports of people who were refused.

Call center won't help you. They will say it can only be arranged on the spot.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Looking on the TK website I don't see anywhere that limits it to TK issued flights only. Can I use this service if I book TK Business through Aeroplan?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: TK Elite, AC SE
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
Looking on the TK website I don't see anywhere that limits it to TK issued flights only. Can I use this service if I book TK Business through Aeroplan?
Yes. The important fact is that it is TK metal. As long as you have boarding passes for TK-operated flights and you have the required number of hours/no earlier flight criteria met, you will get the hotel accommodation.

I flew TK in business class on an Aeroplan reward in November 2015, and was put up at the Polat Renaissance (very close to the airport) in both directions. I actually inquired as to whether I could get accommodation closer to the city centre, and was told that business class passengers were always given that hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: EK GOLD, AZ FRECCIA ALATA, PR ELITE
Accepting the Elite Challenge

I am planning to fly TK in 2 months time however, I would also like to avail the free hotel.

Weird question. Am I eligible for the hotel if I have an itinerary like this: SIN-IST-KUL? It will have minimum 12 hours "layover".

Another thing, any idea of the mileage that will be accrued as well?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.