Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Ok, this is not covered in the first FAQ post and I don't feel like going through all pages here. What about this scenario?

I buy Athens to Nice. From Athens I can take a flight at either 15:30 or 21:30. The first flight from IST to NCE is at 8:30. If I book ATH-IST 15:30 connecting IST-NIC 8:30, am I eligable? I mean, technically I am on the first flight to Nice, but I could've taken a later flight from ATH.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Technically you are, but my husband just experienced something similar and was denied.
He was flying BCN IST EZE, chose the afternoon BCN IST flight, so he would have more time in IST at the hotel just to relax.

Upon arrival at IST, he was denied the hotel because the clerk at hotel desk claimed that there was a flight that had a connection, which would not provide for any hotel.

That information provided by the clerk was simply not true. The late flight from BCN to IST would still result in a minimum of 11,5 hours connection. So even economy class would qualify. When my husband confronted the clerk with this information, he then said that they only provide the hotel for the late flight.

When questioned how that could be, as the rules are clearly stated on the TK website, the clerk simply said that the rules changed "last week" and when asked to speak to a supervisor, he claims he is the supervisor and the discussion was over.

My husband even emailed the Stockholm office (he is Swedish) and the Stockholm office confirmed that by looking at his ticket, he is eligible for the hotel, and that he should speak to the clerk again... But it was useless. So my husband slept in the lounge instead. I would not recommend the earlier connection due to the "made up rule" of the day... You might get lucky, or you might get the TK treatment.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by iamaho
You might get lucky, or you might get the TK treatment.
Thanks for the info. Regarding the TK treatment, that is why I don't fly TK as much as I used to. They are just too messy to deal with... :/ But some routes I can't justify other airlines due to price.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Ok, this is not covered in the first FAQ post and I don't feel like going through all pages here. What about this scenario?

I buy Athens to Nice. From Athens I can take a flight at either 15:30 or 21:30. The first flight from IST to NCE is at 8:30. If I book ATH-IST 15:30 connecting IST-NIC 8:30, am I eligable? I mean, technically I am on the first flight to Nice, but I could've taken a later flight from ATH.
It is answered in the rules. The answer is "no"
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Are the rules on the connection for the free tours enforced as strictly as that for the free hotels? For example, if there is an earlier flight that would make me ineligible for the tour but I am booked on a later one, will they deny the tour (as they would the free hotel) ?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:31 pm

I was wondering, is the 10 hours layover really strict? I have a 9 hours and 25 min layover (arriving 10:10 pm SKG-IST, departing 7:35 am IST-CDG) in a couple of days.

Do you think I should try my luck on the hotel desk, or is it waste of time and I should book a hotel to spend the night on my own? Somebody that had the experience of how strict they are on the layover time would really help!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by skgflyer
I was wondering, is the 10 hours layover really strict?
Yes it is.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:23 am

Thank you for the answer, I'm going for a cheap hotel reservation... Bad luck!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Hey All,

Long time lurker / first time poster.

Quick question to those who know more than me about the TK hotel offer:

I know that they tend to put you in nicer hotels if you're flying C or F (last time around I was Y on my first layover and got put into Wow Hotels, but C on the way back and was put into Renaissance Polat), but does anybody know whether they put *G into a nicer hotel as well?

Asking because I'm meeting a friend who's got an overnight layover there at the same time with me and she's *G but her ticket is in Y so want to make sure they'll put us in the same hotel.

Cheers,
Bryan
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:56 am

I was wondering, is the 10 hours layover really strict? I have a 9 hours and 25 min layover (arriving 10:10 pm SKG-IST, departing 7:35 am IST-CDG) in a couple of days.

Do you think I should try my luck on the hotel desk, or is it waste of time and I should book a hotel to spend the night on my own? Somebody that had the experience of how strict they are on the layover time would really help!
Hello again.

Finally I tried my luck on the hotel desk of TK in Ataturk airport and although my layover was under 10 hours they game me free hotel accomodation. I would not say though I'm so satisfied. I arrived 10:45 on the hotel desk and we were transfered by shuttle to the hotel after 12:00. Hotel was 25 km away and although a 5 star hotel, behavior of the employees was quite rude. Finally we went to our rooms after endless waiting at the lobby on 1:15. At least hotel room had a good quality.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Hello again.

Finally I tried my luck on the hotel desk of TK in Ataturk airport and although my layover was under 10 hours they game me free hotel accomodation. I would not say though I'm so satisfied. I arrived 10:45 on the hotel desk and we were transfered by shuttle to the hotel after 12:00. Hotel was 25 km away and although a 5 star hotel, behavior of the employees was quite rude. Finally we went to our rooms after endless waiting at the lobby on 1:15. At least hotel room had a good quality.
Long waits are something you just have to put up with if you want to use the service. With that said - you may get lucky and only have to wait 5 minutes as their process is to gather enough people together and then process them all at once. So if another group happens to have been dispatched just before you make it to the hotel desk you'll need to wait for an hour, but if you get there late enough it can be almost instantaneous.

Hotel wise - they seem to switch hotels rather frequently and the hotel that they're currently using is indeed quite far from the airport and average quality - especially for a 5-star hotel. Previously though, I've been accommodated at very decent hotels, not far from the airport, so it's a bit of a hit and miss.

P.S. In response to my earlier post in the thread, I can now confirm that *G doesn't qualify you for a better hotel. Only a C/F ticket does.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:15 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
I also tried the luck with TK Hotel Desk. Yes, the staff there is quite rude. They gave me Grand Yavuz Hotel. I was travelling in C. Only thing what I liked in this hotel, was the location.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sannmann
I have a 7h:55min layover at IST later this month, traveling in J. Should I even bother to take TK up on the free hotel offer? Or, should I just stay airside and hang out in the lounge? If I do stay airside, is there anything to do in the airport outside of hanging out in the lounge?

Seems like a lot of hassle to get the free hotel room plus the time needed to get to the hotel and the time needed to get back to the airport in time for my connecting flight. Would also have to pay in advance for the e-visa to leave the transit area and take TK up on the hotel offer.
Similar situation for us. Flying Business and the transfer time is about 7:30. Arrive at 17:00ish and depart at 0.40ish.

I'm beginning to think that when you add up all the time required to go through immigration and then deal with the TK hotel desk, then a shuttle to a hotel - which may (or may not) be far and not so great, then find the shuttle in time to get back to the airport to clear security, etc... Seems like the time might be better spent just hanging in the lounge.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Similar situation for us. Flying Business and the transfer time is about 7:30. Arrive at 17:00ish and depart at 0.40ish.

I'm beginning to think that when you add up all the time required to go through immigration and then deal with the TK hotel desk, then a shuttle to a hotel - which may (or may not) be far and not so great, then find the shuttle in time to get back to the airport to clear security, etc... Seems like the time might be better spent just hanging in the lounge.
Yes, if you are lucky, you can get the sleeping suite in the lounge which is nice place.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by milepig

I've done this connection. By 20:00, you want to commit homicide. By 22:00, suicide. By 23:00, you'll be in a catatonic "when will this end" state.

8 hours is a VERY VERY VERY long time in the lounge. :P

I'd consider doing the hotel just for the variety and an extra passport stamp. Heh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.