Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:23 am

Just want to share some personal experience with TK hotel desk service that I had last weekend. I had a flight PRN – IST on Saturday and a flight PRN – RIX on Sunday. Actually there are 2 flights PRN – IST on Saturday available – in the morning and in the evening, but in both cases the gap between arrival time on Saturday and Sunday flight is more than 10 hours. Before booking the flight I checked about the free hotel with local TK office which confirmed that I am entitled a free hotel stay irrespective of whether I choose morning or an evening flight PRN - IST. I therefore chose the morning flight as it was more convenient for me (although it was more expensive) and after arrival to IST on Saturday I went to TK hotel desk. After a quick check TK staff told me that I am NOT getting a free hotel - they would only give it to me if I chose the latest flight. I could not believe what I heard – what is the difference as I am not getting any benefit from getting to IST by a morning flight and shorter connection between evening flight and Sunday flight is still more than 10 hours, so in fact there is no shorter connection available! TK staff did not hear my agruments so I had to pay for my hotel and transfer on my own. My advice based on personal experience is therefore as follows:
1) Think twice or even more before using TK hotel service. You are not getting any voucher in advance, so you are fully dependant on the TK desk staff’s decision in IST – if they don’t want to give you a hotel, they simply won’t give it and there is nothing you can do.
2) Any TK offices confirmations they give you before booking about whether you will get a hotel or not don’t cost anything – it is TK staff at the desk who decide.
I therefore think it may make sense to update the FAQ accordingly as some people had similar experience recently.

Last edited by Zimmerwalder; Dec 9, 2014 at 12:48 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Definitely an abuse by TK side. Both connections are way higher than the minimum required.
Make a screenshot of a dummy booking and along with your original reservation and hotel invoce send it to customer service asking for a refund.
Not that TK has a consolidated tradition of refunding anything, but in this case where the mistake is easily verifiable, worth a try.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:22 am

I’ve bought a ticket via travel agent and I’ve already complained to him about the situation and sent a hotel invoice so he could negotiate with TK about the refund (although I do not much hope about it).
I’ve already decided for myself – no connections with a „free hotel” with TK ever (I will also try to avoid flying with TK in general). There is simply no warranty you’ll get the hotel and you can do nothing with it.
I’ve found one of TK managers somewhere in the IST airport and explained the situation – in my view the most important is that I was not getting any benefit by choosing an earlier flight, so by not giving a hotel TK doesn’t follow its own rules – she called hotel desk and had a quick talk. After that she told – yes, you are right and this is stupid but these are our rules, so I’m sorry.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Quoting from: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above.
This very clearly states that complimentary accommodation would in your case be due (as there was no shorter connection available that would fall in the given time frame), and would definitely provide grounds for arguing.

The page also doesn't state anywhere that the service is provided on an "availability permitting" basis either, or that TK reserves any right to decide not to provide it, and as such it's an advertised part of the package, rather than something that TK may choose to provide you out of goodwill.

The more important question is of course whether the XX euros that you spent at another hotel is worth the time and effort spent arguing, as this amount will needless to say be the cap of any reimbursement.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bryanoneil
Quoting from: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

This very clearly states that complimentary accommodation would in your case be due (as there was no shorter connection available that would fall in the given time frame), and would definitely provide grounds for arguing.

The page also doesn't state anywhere that the service is provided on an "availability permitting" basis either, or that TK reserves any right to decide not to provide it, and as such it's an advertised part of the package, rather than something that TK may choose to provide you out of goodwill.

The more important question is of course whether the XX euros that you spent at another hotel is worth the time and effort spent arguing, as this amount will needless to say be the cap of any reimbursement.
Not that I agree with it, but I see their rationale for not providing a free room. Per their rules, "This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above". If the passenger took the morning flight to IST, the later afternoon or evening flight would provide the "shorter connection" and therefore that is the flight that would entitle the passenger to a free room.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
Not that I agree with it, but I see their rationale for not providing a free room. Per their rules, "This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above". If the passenger took the morning flight to IST, the later afternoon or evening flight would provide the "shorter connection" and therefore that is the flight that would entitle the passenger to a free room.
Pointless when the shorter connection is anyway +10 hours.
At least in the common sense world.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Disappointing experience this morning. Arrived on TK from SIN at around 0630Hrs with the intention of a shower in the lounge followed by the 0900Hrs sightseeing tour before our flight to Cairo at 1805Hrs..

First disappointment was being advised of a 3Hr queue for showers on arriving in the lounge.. (???) Thought this might be scare mongering to avoid disappointment for people with tight connections so handed over our boarding passes and waited but left 2 hours later without a shower.. Next disappointment was arriving at the hotel reservations desk with more than 20 minutes to spare, only to be told that the 0900 tour was full, and we werent eligible for the 1200Hrs tour...

We ended up taking the free hotel stopover instead, simply as a means of getting a shower. This involved a long wait for a bus. Followed by a journey of more than one hour right across Istanbul to a rather mediocre hotel. Finally reached the room at 10.30am with insturctions to get the 3pm bus back for our flight at 6.05pm.

Morale of the story. if you want to go on the city tour sign up earlier rather than later as it does fill up...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:29 pm

Is there a way to book a stop over in Istanbul? We are looking at a return flight of 28 November CMN-IST, 14:30 - 21:05, and the next day 29 November IST-SFO leaving at 13:05.

I am ok with the free hotel, but I would rather just leave 30 November and get the free tour on 29 November.

Is that possible?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:33 am

I am flying PEK-IST next Wednesday on TK21, arriving at 5:20am (Wednesday morning). My connecting flight, IST-YUL on TK35, does not depart until Friday at 2:10pm. There is only one daily flight from PEK to IST, and there is no earlier flight to YUL. Would I be eligible for two free nights at a hotel? Would there be any potential grounds for disqualification?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:03 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by ikyuu
I am flying PEK-IST next Wednesday on TK21, arriving at 5:20am (Wednesday morning). My connecting flight, IST-YUL on TK35, does not depart until Friday at 2:10pm. There is only one daily flight from PEK to IST, and there is no earlier flight to YUL. Would I be eligible for two free nights at a hotel? Would there be any potential grounds for disqualification?
This is not going to work as you could have taken TK21 on Friday connecting to TK35 thus arrive on the same day.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
Just came back from a recent trip with Turkish that involved 2 stopovers and wanted to share the experience, that from what I can see here was way more positive than most reports.

Here are some flight details for reference of any of you that might want to use the service and are wondering about eligibility:
1. WAW - IST TK8149 13:05 - 16:40
2. IST - EZE TK15 09:30 - 22:05
3. EZE - IST TK16 23:55 - 21:35+1
4. IST - WAW TK8148 17:25 - 19:00

(long haul in TK Comfort Class (amazing product))

Please note that the feeder flights are TK/LO codeshare, done on LO metal (I was worried a bit about those as the rules quoted here have stated that all segments have to be done on TK metal). Also, on the way back there is an earlier flight with TK, but that would still involve overnight stopover.

Before booking the trip I was trying to confirm that I was eligible for the accomodation but unfortunately contact with the hoteldesk ([email protected]) and the service were very poor - they were unable to provide any information unless I made a booking :/

That said, from that point on, it was only better. I made the booking, sent the details to the above e-mail and got my confirmation - I was eligible for the accomodation both ways.

Upon arriving in IST I found the experience very smooth - immigration via a designated *Gold priority lane was very quick, then proceed to the Hotel Desk, gave the e-mail with confirmation + boarding passes. We were in the shuttle bus 10mins later (in hotel +15min extra).

One remark - a person standing before us was turned back (bits of overheard conversation - "but I did this couple of times already, this makes no sense", "we're sorry but no"...). Also from what I could tell the fact that I flew in with LO was a subject of conversation between staff in the office, but nobody said anything about that directly to me. My bet/top tip for everybody would be - have your itinerary/accomodation confirmed via [email protected] and have the confirmation with you.

On the way back - experience was very similarly smooth, got to the hotel even quicker as it was closer this time, and the waiting didn't take more than 10mins.

About the hotels:
1. Flying out - Holiday Inn. Rate included internet and breakfast, which I haven't tried as I was very eager to experience the amazing CIP lounge. Overall very nice hotel, unfortunately very far from everything, but you can walk for about 10 mins along the road to get to a big shopping mall with plenty of fast food restaurants to get an evening snack at reasonable price. What is great about the hotel is that is has great SPA area with pool, wet and dry sauna + hammam - I've used that and was veeery nice way to relax. Also, if you don't want to take the THY shuttle there is a hotel bus every hour, so you can go to the airport whenever you want (takes about 15mins wothout traffic) AND complimentary city shuttle (haven't tried that but sounds great). The only negative would be that the room we got was a bit worn and was a smoking room (but that's my fault - when we realized we got one, I was too lazy to change it).
2. Flying back - Courtyard by Mariott. Very nice and modern hotel, also had a SPA with pool and sauna (no time to check it out). Very good breakfast, I'd recommend to get it if you have time! No city shuttle, but also had hourly airport transport (10mins.). Located in an area where it seemed to be much easier to grab a bite outside hotel than in Holiday Inn.

About the city tour - we didn't have a chance to try it (+ have been in IST before and seen most of the touristy sights) so I can't comment on it but if you have trouble getting on one I'd recommend leaving your luggage at the airport (either by checking it in to you final destination / leaving at lounge / leaving it at luggage storage) and getting the very efficient metro service (TL10 for a city contactless card, that includes 4TL credit, one-way metro fare is ~2.25TL, you can use one card for many people, vending machine takes only banknotes) and you can spend great day in IST as we did.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I read I am eligible for TK hotel night per TK's rules, but the ticket is issued by OTA where it says "ticket does not include overnight accomodation" - can anyone confirm if hotel eligibility does not depend on whether ticket is issued by TK or OTA?
(My guess is the OTA amendment was there only to note it is an overnight connection, nothing to do with TK's hotel compliment?)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FFlash
I read I am eligible for TK hotel night per TK's rules, but the ticket is issued by OTA where it says "ticket does not include overnight accomodation" - can anyone confirm if hotel eligibility does not depend on whether ticket is issued by TK or OTA?
(My guess is the OTA amendment was there only to note it is an overnight connection, nothing to do with TK's hotel compliment?)
Is your flight on TK metal??
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by johhenrik
You only qualify as long as there are no other connecting flights earlier than the one you are on, no matter if those are full or in a more expensive booking class.
Is it based on new earlier connection available for departing flight? Or no later incoming flight.

I'm on MAD-IST-BOS. 5pm arrival into Istanbul, but there is also a midnight arrival into Istanbul. So would I get a hitel since no matter inbound flight both must take same next day Boston flight?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:24 pm

I am planning on booking LGW - IAH via IST in March this year, and there are four daily flights from Gatwick to IST, the latest departing Gatwick at 17.20.

If I book that 17.20 flight, then my connection time will be 14 hours before TK33 takes me to Houston the following afternoon (TK33 is the only IST - IAH flight per day). So I'm aware I should be eligible for the free hotel room.

Therefore I'm wondering if I book one of the earlier flights OUT of gatwick and into IST, should/will i still receive a hotel room offer? Clearly I'd rather land in IST at 16.20 than landing at 23.20.

I see a poster above has suggested they didn't get offered the hotel room when doing this, so wondered if others have experience of this? The shortest possible layover on that journey is 14 hours, so surely if i choose to make that 20 hours, the hotel should still apply!?

However, I'm doubtful...have spoken to TK airlines on the phone and they suggest not, although basically tell you that all decisions are made at the desk and not prior to booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.