Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Should I even bother?

I have a 7h:55min layover at IST later this month, traveling in J. Should I even bother to take TK up on the free hotel offer? Or, should I just stay airside and hang out in the lounge? If I do stay airside, is there anything to do in the airport outside of hanging out in the lounge?

Seems like a lot of hassle to get the free hotel room plus the time needed to get to the hotel and the time needed to get back to the airport in time for my connecting flight. Would also have to pay in advance for the e-visa to leave the transit area and take TK up on the hotel offer.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by sannmann
I have a 7h:55min layover at IST later this month, traveling in J. Should I even bother to take TK up on the free hotel offer? Or, should I just stay airside and hang out in the lounge? If I do stay airside, is there anything to do in the airport outside of hanging out in the lounge?

Seems like a lot of hassle to get the free hotel room plus the time needed to get to the hotel and the time needed to get back to the airport in time for my connecting flight. Would also have to pay in advance for the e-visa to leave the transit area and take TK up on the hotel offer.
Isn't the lounge outside the transit area?
Old May 7, 2014, 4:32 pm

The lounge is in the international departures area. No need for visa to access it.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:54 pm

Short update on the BUD-YYZ issue:

Hoteldesk was the worst. I have never been delt with in such manner in my life. Got stranded with many fellow travellers.
For about 180€ (all in for 3 people with taxi and breakfast) we safed our night at the WOW Airport at 2 a.m. .

After calling out the highest Manager in IST in the middle of the night and him telling us he could also not do anything we had enough and called it a day.
Everyone with the same routing i highly recommend to reserve a hotel by yourself and avoid the TK Hoteldesk by any means. Worst customer service i ever expirienced. Some people without money and lounge access had to spend the night at starbucks.
Suites in CIP lounge were full due to a delayed Singapore flight.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by RejectTO
Short update on the BUD-YYZ issue:

Hoteldesk was the worst. I have never been delt with in such manner in my life. Got stranded with many fellow travellers.
For about 180€ (all in for 3 people with taxi and breakfast) we safed our night at the WOW Airport at 2 a.m. .

After calling out the highest Manager in IST in the middle of the night and him telling us he could also not do anything we had enough and called it a day.
Everyone with the same routing i highly recommend to reserve a hotel by yourself and avoid the TK Hoteldesk by any means. Worst customer service i ever expirienced. Some people without money and lounge access had to spend the night at starbucks.
Suites in CIP lounge were full due to a delayed Singapore flight.
So, is this the short version? You got there, you handed them your papers, they spent about 5 minutes looking at them, they told you that you were not eligible because of the newly added flight which didn't exist at the time you did the booking?

P.S. - My opinion is that you did qualify because it was the shortest booking when you arranged the flights.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:02 pm

In a nutshell - yes.
But you dont want to imagine how you they handeled you. Like you are entering a prison (as prisoner) . Seems the desk has its own handling manner, as Rest of IST appeared ok.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:31 am

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour when connecting at IST

I ended up taking TK up on the offer. Was put up at the Renaissance Polat during my 7:55 layover on a United saver business award ticket at IST.

Go down to hotel desk and wait 20 minutes in the adjacent Starbucks while they make the reservation. Then, walk out to the curb, where the hotel desk staff will see you get on the airline hotel shuttle. They'll give you a sheet of paper that has the hotel reservation number on it, as well as your return shuttle pick-up time.

Bring cash to give the shuttle driver a tip. Be sure to be ready for the airline shuttle on the return, as they will not wait.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Bring cash to give the shuttle driver a tip. Be sure to be ready for the airline shuttle on the return, as they will not wait.
That seems to be US-specific. I've never seen transit pax tipping hotel desk staff, shuttle bus driver or anybody else. I don't even think it would be appropriate.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dabee69
Quote:

That seems to be US-specific. I've never seen transit pax tipping hotel desk staff, shuttle bus driver or anybody else. I don't even think it would be appropriate.
Actually, the shuttle driver was rather assertive in asking for a tip. Not having lira, I ended up giving him a U.S. $5 bill. Hope he can find a place that will change it for less than $5 in commission...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xxlboy
I think no, I ask the same question few days ago

flight will be from Moscow, if you choice longer connection time , even if there are shorter ones , you wont be eligible... ( from moscow they have 3 flights so , you can always make shorter connection )

at least what they told me at the IST lounge...

but I think you can still try your chance ...
Since both 11 and 17 hours are both within the eligibility limit, then you should be able to, right?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
I tried the service during my recent stop over from BKK to IAH. I was flying in C and had 7.5 hours layover. At the Hotel Desk arrangements were made and I was transferred to the Renaissance hotel. I received a room on the executive floor with lounge access and after 3 hours of sleep I had a nice breakfast.

All was good until that point. However TK "forgot" to pick me up from the hotel. The pick up was scheduled for 11AM (for a 1PM flight), but they never showed up. At 11:30 I made my own arrangements and just made it..... By the way the doorman at the Renaissance told that this happens quite frequently.

S
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We landed in IST at 3pm, luggage was routed to LGW so we did not have any luggage to lug. By 430pm we were in the room at the DoubleTree not far from the hotel. The desk staff were cordial, you approach them in a nice manner and they reciprocate.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:25 pm

TK Hotel Desk. Worst Service Staff Ever. PERIOD
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bertman
TK Hotel Desk. Worst Service Staff Ever. PERIOD
Not True, it must have been your approach or you did not qualify for a room under the program.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'm a little bit confused. It looks like there must NOT be any flights available for you to be eligible for the tour. There are four daily IST-VKO flights, and I asked the desk whether KIX-IST, IST-VKO on the last flight of the day is eligible - and they said "yes" (I gave flight numbers). Are they confused? Should I not risk it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.