Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:00 pm

I'm surprised there was no Wiki, so I created one and added some Tour details

Maybe people can now add their QUALIFYING flights/connections with # of layover hours in it?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
My recent experiences:
May, 2015 flying CDG (Paris) to LAX with stop in IST. Requested the closest hotel to Sultanahmet as we were meeting someone for dinner. Was sent to the Akgün Istanbul Hotel. This is basically a 3 star that they call a 5 star and is not that that close to Sultanahmet (about 20 minutes). Of note: Apparently the Akgun has more than one hotel and, after dinner, the Uber driver took us to the wrong one and then had to locate the correct hotel. Also of note: Uber was a new Mercedes and much nicer than any cab I have ever taken in IST. We arrived from Paris in J and departed to LAX in Comfort Class. An associate that took the same flights two days earlier was sent to the Renaissance Polak.

July, 2015
LAX to BOD (Bordeaux, France) with stop in IST. Arrived in CC, Departed in business. Requested the Wyndam and was told that they do not have an agreement with them. Was sent to the Renaissance Polat. We were given a very nice room with a sea view and were told at the hotel that it was because we were traveling in business. Also had access to the hotel lounge. Nice location and beautiful pool even if not near the main sights.

July 2015 (Yesterday!)
BOD-LAX Arrived to IST in J, Departed in CC. Requested the Renaissance Polat and was told that we could not go there as both legs had to be business! Argued, but it did no good. Requested Courtyard Marriott and was told they did not have an agreement with them. Was sent to WOW Airport Hotel. Not as bad as Akgun but not as nice as the Renaissance Polat. Took a taxi over to the Marina in Yesilkoy (about 5 minutes and less than $10 and had a great dinner and walked along the water.

All three layovers were about 14 hours. I don't think that my requests really made a difference and they sent us to where the bus was going. These were my first experiences with the IST free hotel and I made my requests based on info in this thread and then requested the Renaissance Polat based on my previous experience. When we went to the Polat we were one of two groups. Apparently, the "business passengers" were sent to the Polat and everyone else went to another hotel. In all three cases we did not need to wait very long (either at the hotel desk or for the bus).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
FYI, under touristanbul it mentions that there will be a new tour option as of 10th August. No further info found.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I found from experience not to make any requests or annoy the staff. I asked pleasantly and was given the Hilton close to the airport. We were both Star Golds and travelling in Y. The staff member told me that it all depends on when your next flight is from IST(ie, the hotel that is selected).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: KF EG
I see that for the tour from 9am to 3pm, your departure flight must be later than 4.30pm.
Are they very strict on this? I have a layover from 7am to 420pm, just 10 min shy of the required time. Or should I take the 8.30am to 11am short tour instead?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:52 pm

So I'm looking at a flight

YYZ > ORD (AC)
ORD > IST (TK Business) arrives at 5pm
IST > CTA (TK Business) Departs at 6:55am

Would this qualify for the hotel? The flight in is international but not the flight out... Just wondering what our best option is.

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by scoobybpc

YYZ > ORD (AC)

Would this qualify for the hotel? The flight in is international but not the flight out... Just wondering what our best option is.

Thanks!
IST - CTA is certainly international (Istanbul, Turkey to Catania, Italy).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor

YYZ > ORD (AC)

Thanks!
Originally Posted by duvin
In other words, the flights need to be International, not Intercontinental.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by duvin
DOH. im an idiot.. So I guess I should qualify for it then.. I've never tried this program (actually I have never even been through IST).

Friend of mine just told me about the hotel program since the itinerary im looking at booking would require a 13 or so hour layover overnight.

Thank you!.. Is there anything before that I should be doing/booking? Or just goto the hotel desk mentioned in the first post?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Thank you!.. Is there anything before that I should be doing/booking? Or just goto the hotel desk mentioned in the first post?
Just check that there are no flights from ORD/to CTA that would enable a shorter layover, as that would make you uneligible to the hotel - I guess it's unlikely, but I don't know TK's timetable to these airports

Last edited by HasteFlier; Aug 16, 2015 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
My friend had a flight TLV - IST - MAN the last departure of the day from TLV, then from there took the next morning connection to MAN, with overnight layover of 8hr 10 min, and was told that there must be no possible shorter connection on both ends, meaning, that even though the next possible connection for him to MAN was over 8 hours after his first flight arrived, since he could have left TLV on an early morning flight and still got the connection to MAN, he is not eligible for a hotel.

So the rule seems to be that only eligible for hotel when no possible shorter connection on both ends.

Maybe this is obvious to some.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
I have now read through this entire thread (and wiki) and cannot find my answer. Are TK flights from EU countries considered 'international' flights? i.e., flying from Malta to IST on last flight out, 12 hour stop. Next morning IST - BCN on first flight out.

Eligible for hotel in this case?

Anyone have experience re this?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by daiseee
I have now read through this entire thread (and wiki) and cannot find my answer. Are TK flights from EU countries considered 'international' flights? i.e., flying from Malta to IST on last flight out, 12 hour stop. Next morning IST - BCN on first flight out.

Eligible for hotel in this case?

Anyone have experience re this?
Yes. This will be eligible (as long as there was no later flight to IST which would make the connection less than 8 hours, and no earlier flight to BCN making the connection less than 8hrs) within 12 hours. The flights need to be international, not Intercontinental.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: AB Gold, Az gold, Tk gold
Trn - Gru

Hi all,
during next months i will have a flight with some friends (9 people totally).
The segment are TRN-IST ---> 13H layover and then IST-GRU.
The return is pretty the same.
The reservations is in W class (the lowest)
4 people out of 9 are TK Elite.

Are we eligible to have the free accomodation? Ithink yes based on the rules but the W class is worrying me.

Regards
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:42 am

Could someone help determine if I would be eligible for the free layover hotel?

Saturday, January 16th: FCO -> IST: Arrive at IST 10:40PM
Sunday, January 17th: IST -> ORD: Depart IST at 1:40PM
Total Layover: 15 Hours

If I am eligible what time is the hotel desk open until? Is it easy enough to take public transport to a hotel? Or should I plan on taking a taxi (what would the costs be)?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.