Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Is your flight on TK metal??
Yes. Nevermind, I guess it will work anyhow. I will however call TK call center tomorrow to verify.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:34 pm

Given that same question gets asked again and agin with someone even stating that "havent bothered to read the thread", can we create the wiki?

We can start with "eligible for hotel" rules and then add some useful info

And then STOP answering questions that are already in the wiki.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by ipa123
Therefore I'm wondering if I book one of the earlier flights OUT of gatwick and into IST, should/will i still receive a hotel room offer? Clearly I'd rather land in IST at 16.20 than landing at 23.20.

I see a poster above has suggested they didn't get offered the hotel room when doing this, so wondered if others have experience of this? The shortest possible layover on that journey is 14 hours, so surely if i choose to make that 20 hours, the hotel should still apply!?

However, I'm doubtful...have spoken to TK airlines on the phone and they suggest not, although basically tell you that all decisions are made at the desk and not prior to booking.
They did not give me the room in exactly the same situation - I chose the morning flight instead of evening one. The choice is yours.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:45 am

Arriving international at 10pm Sunday, and departing next morning Monday 8am international, how much time for sleep will I have on average?
I have no clue, but imagine following:
-Arriving on time 10pm
-Disembarked 10:15pm
-First time in IST, finding the TK Hotel Desk 10:30pm to get voucher
-Bus ride arranged to hotel 11pm
-Arriving at hotel 11.30pm
-Check-in and getting to sleep 12pm midnight
-Wake-up 5:30am
-Quick packing, check-out without breakfast 5:45am
-Wait for transfer bus 6:00am
-At airport check-in 6:30am
-Security and passport control 7:00am
-rest of the time in *lounge until boarding 7:30am

Something along these lines or much different?
I don't like all that stress with so little sleep, would prefer to stay in the sleeping pods in the lounge if I was eligible as *G, but I know those are ony for Elite+
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by FFlash
Arriving international at 10pm Sunday, and departing next morning Monday 8am international, how much time for sleep will I have on average?
-Arriving on time 10pm

I don't like all that stress with so little sleep, would prefer to stay in the sleeping pods in the lounge if I was eligible as *G, but I know those are ony for Elite+
Well you can always book the TAV hotel at your own expense.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Well you can always book the TAV hotel at your own expense.
Of course but will not do that. I have a bunch of FT'ers I have promised to pick up their TK cards as well, and I am looking for help how to minimize time wasted in other formalities or advice how long those formalities typically take.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
-Arriving on time 10pm

I think your timings are pretty right. The only variable is getting the bus from the airport to the hotel.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
-Arriving on time 10pm

It will take more than 15 min from debarkation to clear customs. After getting to the hotel desk it may take 30 min just to be put on a bus to the hotel. Then if you are one of the last to get off the bus maybe another 30 min just to check in at the hotel. If you are put up at the WOW hotel at least you will only have a 5 min bus ride.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by tobegold
It will take more than 15 min from debarkation to clear customs. After getting to the hotel desk it may take 30 min just to be put on a bus to the hotel. Then if you are one of the last to get off the bus maybe another 30 min just to check in at the hotel. If you are put up at the WOW hotel at least you will only have a 5 min bus ride.
Thanks for shedding some light this. I will see how it goes and report a data point back here.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:45 am

-Arriving on time 10pm // ARRIVED 9:25 AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
-Disembarked 10:15pm // 10:00 VEEERY LONG TIME WITH BUS ETC!
-First time in IST, finding the TK Hotel Desk 10:30pm to get voucher // 10:10 THE PASSPORT CONTROL WAS RATHER EMPTY
-Bus ride arranged to hotel 11pm // 10:20 WAITING TIME FOR BUS WAS SHORT
-Arriving at hotel 11.30pm // 10:35 AT RADISSON BLU
-Check-in and getting to sleep 12pm midnight // GUESS WHAT???
-Wake-up 5:30am // 5:30 THEY WAKE UP 1/2 BEFORE BUS ORDER
-Quick packing, check-out without breakfast 5:45am // 5:46
-Wait for transfer bus 6:00am // BUS WAS EARLY 5:50 OFF WE WENT
-At airport check-in 6:30am // 6:10 HORRIBLE RUSH HOUR EARLY MORNING! BUT THE DRIVER MADE SOME SMART MOVES...
-Security and passport control 7:00am // MAYBE <10MINS REAL TIME, BUT I WAITED AT M&S CARD PRINT DESK FOR NOBODY TO SHOW UP...
-rest of the time in *lounge until boarding 7:30am // LOUNGE AND SHORT WALK TO GATE THROUGH M&S AT DESK 216 (NOBODY PRESENT)

+
And here is how it went, for those interested
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Question re: Istanbul lounge and layover

Hi - I thought I saw a thread about this once but can't seem to find it again. I have a question: I'm flying Montreal - Tbilisi on TK (biz class, redeemed AC miles for the reward ticket). The flight from Montreal arrives into IST around 16:00, then the flight to Tbilisi goes just after midnight so that's a solid 8 hours.

I'm in Biz for the entire trip so I know I can use the lounge in between, but did I read somewhere that TK has a deal where they'll take you offsite to a hotel if your layover in J class is more than XX hours or something like that?

I'm sure the lounge is nice, but 8 hours is a long time....
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by Rowill64
Hi - I thought I saw a thread about this once but can't seem to find it again. I have a question: I'm flying Montreal - Tbilisi on TK (biz class, redeemed AC miles for the reward ticket). The flight from Montreal arrives into IST around 16:00, then the flight to Tbilisi goes just after midnight so that's a solid 8 hours.

I'm in Biz for the entire trip so I know I can use the lounge in between, but did I read somewhere that TK has a deal where they'll take you offsite to a hotel if your layover in J class is more than XX hours or something like that?

I'm sure the lounge is nice, but 8 hours is a long time....
http://weekendblitz.com/secret-trave...kish-airlines/
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Is this free hotel on TK stopover only when flying business class or even economy?
(probably a stupid question but couldn't find an answer)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Is this free hotel on TK stopover only when flying business class or even economy?
(probably a stupid question but couldn't find an answer)
I had economy and worked like charm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do you have to get a visa for the stopover hotel? Or are you permitted fo transit overnight without a visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.