Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by babiemindy
My flight leaves at 18:20 and I have a 8 hr 45 minute layover - does anyone know if the 12:00 to 18:00 tour is an option? I e-mailed the desk but I just want to double check that I won't miss the flight.

For those of you that have done the tour in IST, what time did you return to the airport?
Thanks!
I'm not certain but if the tour is until 18:00 and you're flight leaves at 18:20 isn't that cutting it a little close?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:19 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I'm not certain but if the tour is until 18:00 and you're flight leaves at 18:20 isn't that cutting it a little close?
<oops, completely misread the post>

Last edited by BA Humbug; Aug 24, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
I've been reading this thread and trying to figure out whether I'm eligible for the overnight accommodation, but so far it is inconclusive for me. I want to purchase the following connection:
1. 20.12.2014 WAW - IST TK8149(codeshare on LO metal) 13:05 - 16:40
2. 21.12.2014 IST - EZE TK15 09:30 - 22:05
3. 15.01.2015 EZE - IST TK16 23:55 - 21:35+1
4. 17.01.2015 IST - WAW TK8148(codeshare on LO metal) 17:25 - 19:00

So per the FAQ post I should not be eligible (since the feeder flights are 'only' codeshares operated by LO), but some of the reports here proved otherwise.

I've also tried to ask the same question to the [email protected], but the service there seems to be terrible - I've got an answer that they can't verify this since the flight dates are too far from now and that they can only verify one month in advance. I've asked them to 'check' identical, mock booking for dates in September, but got an answer that they can only check a paid booking/itinerary (which is ridiculous, as provided accommodation is one of the factors that would make me choose this airline or another).
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
As a data-point, I used TK's hotel desk on the evening of Aug 30th. I was given a room at the Tuyap Palas which was quite a ways from the airport but overall a fairly nice hotel. The biggest problem seemed to be that TK was sending all their hotel desk passengers to that hotel on the 30th, and therefore the lines to check in were painfully long (and there were no special check-in lines for *A gold or anything else that I was aware of).

The entire process was fairly haphazard: After giving my information to the hotel desk, I was told to sit and wait until they called my name. After I got my boarding pass back and they called my name, I still wasn't told what hotel I was going to despite repeatedly asking. Eventually a TK agent led me (and about 20 others) to a waiting bus, and it wasn't until we pulled into the hotel's driveway that we knew where we were going.

One tip which will likely be a huge timesaver for anyone who is *A gold: There is no special *A line for the hotel desk, and if you can't access the lounge because it is closed or you had to clear passport control, there doesn't appear to be any options. I asked upstairs at the check-in desk and was told to simply cut the line and explain I was *A gold. I went ahead and cut the line (and felt like a terrible person), and that appears to be the only option.

All in all the experience was pretty much pandemonium, but I did get a hotel room for my troubles. My transfer back to the airport was scheduled for 3 hours 45 min before my departure, and I made it to the airport around 3 hours before.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I have an overnight coming up that I'm pretty sure is eligible for a hotel... only question is.. given the limited overnight time (arrive at 10 PM, leave next afternoon) is it worthwile to go with Turkish or should I make my own arrangements. For example: how long will it take to go to hotel desk, wait in line, get assignment, wait for a coach and then transfer to the hotel; while repeating the transfer in the AM? Or, is it just worthwile to book my own accomodations (I have plenty of points) and just take a taxi both ways? I'm more than willing to pay a little $$$ to save time. So I guess my biggest question is how long does it take from clearing immigration to bed?

thanks
FDW
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I have an overnight coming up that I'm pretty sure is eligible for a hotel... only question is.. given the limited overnight time (arrive at 10 PM, leave next afternoon) is it worthwile to go with Turkish or should I make my own arrangements. For example: how long will it take to go to hotel desk, wait in line, get assignment, wait for a coach and then transfer to the hotel; while repeating the transfer in the AM? Or, is it just worthwile to book my own accomodations (I have plenty of points) and just take a taxi both ways? I'm more than willing to pay a little $$$ to save time. So I guess my biggest question is how long does it take from clearing immigration to bed?

thanks
FDW
I suspect it varies. The night I did it (just a few months ago), I waited in the Starbucks area for about 10 minutes. Then took bus to hotel (assume that part was about the same time as a taxi to the hotel). Then waited about 10 minutes for a less efficient check-in at the hotel. So I only wasted about 20 minutes going to the hotel (which was worth it to me). On the return trip I took the hotel shuttle, so it went pretty much right at the time I wanted and I don't think I lost any time in that direction.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:42 am

Pls be easy on me for not going through the whole thread. Does the free hotel night apply for award tickets as well? Flying AMS-IST-SFO using UA award in TK C, arriving at 7 p.m. leaving 1 p.m. the next day. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Pls be easy on me for not going through the whole thread. Does the free hotel night apply for award tickets as well? Flying AMS-IST-SFO using UA award in TK C, arriving at 7 p.m. leaving 1 p.m. the next day. Thanks.
I would hope that it shouldn't matter, as I am transiting IST on a TK award fare in Nov. I haven't seen anything mentioned about fare bucket booked, just fare class.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
I would hope that it shouldn't matter, as I am transiting IST on a TK award fare in Nov. I haven't seen anything mentioned about fare bucket booked, just fare class.
Award tickets are eligible, as long as the award ticket meets the other criteria. Here are a few responses for reference:

Originally Posted by hawklx
You will be fine. Does not matter whether it's paid with cash or miles.
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
Greetings,
Does anyone know the policy of TK's offer of a free hotel for IST transit pax if the TK tix are booked w/UA FF miles but all other conditions have been met (i.e., more than 10 hr layover, both flts on TK, outbound is next available flt)? I emailed TK some time ago and got some lame response akin to, "Check with the transit desk upon arrival," which was not very helpful.

If I couldn't get the free hotel/transfers I'd probably go with a different itinerary.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by andie73
Not matter, how you buy your`s TK ticket - by miles, cash or gift.
I got free hotel same situation half year ago - both flights by turkish, award miles from US airways.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Yes, free hotel applies to award tickets on 016 stock, too. Got free room in May on a MileagePlus award in TK C class and an eight hour layover at IST. Was put up at the Renaissance Polat.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:09 am

I thought I was sorted with my hotel but now very confused. I travel from NRT to IST on the 12:55 service and arrive into IST at 18:10. My next flight is not until 08:40 in the morning. I realise there is a later flight from NRT but it is about 10pm so not convenient for me. I thought I would be entitled to a hotel however I just spoke to EDI check in to see if I could select my seats and they said just so you know you won't be entitled to a hotel in IST. Is this def true? It's NY eve that we arrive in IST so I really don't want to be stuck without a hotel. We r travelling in J. Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by VirginSkies99
I thought I was sorted with my hotel but now very confused. I travel from NRT to IST on the 12:55 service and arrive into IST at 18:10. My next flight is not until 08:40 in the morning. I realise there is a later flight from NRT but it is about 10pm so not convenient for me. I thought I would be entitled to a hotel however I just spoke to EDI check in to see if I could select my seats and they said just so you know you won't be entitled to a hotel in IST. Is this def true? It's NY eve that we arrive in IST so I really don't want to be stuck without a hotel. We r travelling in J. Thanks
To be frank what is convenient for you is not the question here, your situation means that there is another connection with less than the require minimum so no free hotel is available. You can always book the transit hotel, or any of the other hotels near IST.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
To be frank what is convenient for you is not the question here, your situation means that there is another connection with less than the require minimum so no free hotel is available. You can always book the transit hotel, or any of the other hotels near IST.
I realise if there is an earlier departure from IST then that time is used to determine eligibility. Just to be sure, that also happens with arriving into IST on an earlier than possible flight too?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
I realise if there is an earlier departure from IST then that time is used to determine eligibility. Just to be sure, that also happens with arriving into IST on an earlier than possible flight too?
Yes.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Yes.
Thanks.

Off to check the possibilities...

Edit: Safe. I am on the last fright from xxx-IST that day. 11 1/2 hours in IST until my next flight.

Last edited by JessicaTam; Sep 14, 2014 at 4:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.