Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Any one could help me about my UA award ticket trip?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by bearteacher
I will have two TK flights via IST from Malaga to Edinburgh.

Are these two flights defined as 'international' flights?

My ticket is issued by UA award. Is it qualified for this service?

My detailed flight schedule is:

Monday: Malaga to IST by TK1306, arrive at 7:15pm
Tuesday: IST to Edinburgh by TK1345, depart at 12:35pm

Thanks for clarification!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:35 pm

Hello!

A question about availability of the free hotel room in the following instance: I fly out on last available flight from A to B on day 1, and on day 1 there is no connecting flight B to C, so I take the B-C on day 2, resutling in a layover.

BUT I could take a flight from A to B on day 2, resulting in no 8 plus layover.

On an example:

flight no 1: I fly out on a Monday from Berlin to Istanbul - 19:00-22:50. Mondays = no flights from Istanbul to Kathmandu (my C location).

flight no 2: IST-KTM 20:45-715 (leaving Istanbul on a Tuesday, arriving on Wednesday).

I am asking because theoretically I could take a Tuesday flight from Berlin to Istanbul, with no 8 hour layover from Istanbul to Kathmandu.

Two international flights - tick. Turkish airlines' structure - tick (?). Does the fact that I chose to start my trip on Monday rather than Tuesday totally crush my chances for the hotel?

Thanks for any help =)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
You are not eligible for hotel as there is the Tuesday flight.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:16 pm

Aww, too bad. Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:13 pm

Does Turkish give u better hotel when u fly in business? Does Turkish also pay for the food in the hotel? What hotels does Turkish put u in?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Business is same hotel and same amenities (at least when I went 2 weeks ago on LAX-IST - I was in Comfort, but others on the bus were business).

Hotel was Radisson Blu, but I understand that they use several different ones.

Breakfast buffet in hotel was, to my understanding, included in the room rate (I think for everyone in the hotel - TY or not). Dinner was NOT included.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:12 pm

To confirm what has been previously mentioned, TK seem to be ok with giving you the free city tour even when your itin doesn't match their requirements to the dot.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: TK Elite
Hi all

I booked the following:
Turkish Airlines 1754
OSL to IST Feb 19, 6:20 PM-11:00PM

Turkish Airlines 9
IST to LAX Feb 20, 12:50 PM-04:50PM

Turkish Airlines 10
LAX to IST Feb 24, 6:45 PM-17:35 +1

Turkish Airlines 1751
IST to OSL Feb 26, 8:30 AM-11:30 AM

As far as I know these are the shortest connections possible but I am flying VIE-OSL with OS on a different PNR as this is a mileage run booking

Will I benefit from a free hotel in IST both on the outbound and inbound? I am French so assuming I don't need a visa.

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:48 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Hi all

I booked the following:
Turkish Airlines 1754
OSL to IST Feb 19, 6:20 PM-11:00PM

Turkish Airlines 9
IST to LAX Feb 20, 12:50 PM-04:50PM

Turkish Airlines 10
LAX to IST Feb 24, 6:45 PM-17:35 +1

Turkish Airlines 1751
IST to OSL Feb 26, 8:30 AM-11:30 AM

As far as I know these are the shortest connections possible but I am flying VIE-OSL with OS on a different PNR as this is a mileage run booking

Will I benefit from a free hotel in IST both on the outbound and inbound? I am French so assuming I don't need a visa.

Thanks
Of course you will and you don't need a visa

Have a nice trip
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
Originally Posted by sbrower
Business is same hotel and same amenities (at least when I went 2 weeks ago on LAX-IST - I was in Comfort, but others on the bus were business).

Hotel was Radisson Blu, but I understand that they use several different ones.

Breakfast buffet in hotel was, to my understanding, included in the room rate (I think for everyone in the hotel - TY or not). Dinner was NOT included.
I got a room in Wyndham Petek on a C ticket for a 6am-3pm stay, but the buffet wasn't included.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:37 pm

Free IST hotel on UA award flights on TK with 10+ hr layover?

Greetings,
Does anyone know the policy of TK's offer of a free hotel for IST transit pax if the TK tix are booked w/UA FF miles but all other conditions have been met (i.e., more than 10 hr layover, both flts on TK, outbound is next available flt)? I emailed TK some time ago and got some lame response akin to, "Check with the transit desk upon arrival," which was not very helpful.

If I couldn't get the free hotel/transfers I'd probably go with a different itinerary.

Cheers.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:18 pm

Not matter, how you buy your`s TK ticket - by miles, cash or gift.
I got free hotel same situation half year ago - both flights by turkish, award miles from US airways.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

I wrongly posted this before.
Just a tip for pax with free hotel in IST,-if you are offered a hotel far away from the airport you might be able to get one closer by agreing to arange your own transport. I got the Wyndham twice in a month this way in spite of being offered hotels much further from IST,this hotel is very close to the airport and a taxi costs abouth 15 TL. For the equivalent 0f 15USD,plus a rather generous tip,I got more than 2 hours extra sleep. The return shuttle leaves the hotel at least 3 hrs prior to departure,so most people would probably arange their own taxi in the morning anyway,in which case two taxis to a hotel close to IST might even be cheaper.
This might even work if you have a realy long layower and actually want a Sultanahmet or Taksim hotel to have a look around Istanbul next day,although I have newer tried that.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by G_G
Of course you will and you don't need a visa

Have a nice trip
You DO need a visa to enter Turkey if you come from a country that needs a visa.Period.To go to your hotel you enter Turkey,you go through imigation.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: SE (*G)
Originally Posted by geirfugl
I wrongly posted this before.
Just a tip for pax with free hotel in IST,-if you are offered a hotel far away from the airport you might be able to get one closer by agreing to arange your own transport. I got the Wyndham twice in a month this way in spite of being offered hotels much further from IST,this hotel is very close to the airport and a taxi costs abouth 15 TL. For the equivalent 0f 15USD,plus a rather generous tip,I got more than 2 hours extra sleep. The return shuttle leaves the hotel at least 3 hrs prior to departure,so most people would probably arange their own taxi in the morning anyway,in which case two taxis to a hotel close to IST might even be cheaper.
This might even work if you have a realy long layower and actually want a Sultanahmet or Taksim hotel to have a look around Istanbul next day,although I have newer tried that.

Great tip. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.