Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Red face

Originally Posted by nacho
As long as there is no Goteborg flights after 18.30, then you are qualified for a free night.
Why did you mention about 18.30 ?
Is it qualifying interval or what do you mean ?

Old May 4, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
You only qualify as long as there are no other connecting flights earlier than the one you are on, no matter if those are full or in a more expensive booking class.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Pawel Lew
I assume that code share flights are no good for complimentary hotel ?
Share flights are good for complementary hotel. Flew LOT from Warsaw to Istanbul and Malaysia Airlines from Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur. Was granted a night in Istanbul (Crystal Hotel, near Taksim ---> not a wonderful hotel though !)
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: DL DM
I have a question regarding the free hotel accommodation policy.

I'm flying TRN-IST-JFK. I land from TRN at 6.15pm and my flight out to JFK is at 1.15 pm the day after. There was an earlier flight a 7.15am but that would have been more than 10 hours anyways, so do I still qualify for a free hotel stay?

Technically it's not the first flight out, but even if it was it would have been more than 10 hr layover. Anyone has any experience?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:16 am
Suspended

ADED 2nd FLIGHT/FREE HOTEL

I have booked a flight LIS-IST-NRT,in comfort on the 5 th- november.The LIS-IST comes in at 21.35 and at the time of booking the onlyNRT flight would be the next day at 17.10,so I would get a free hotel.. Now TK have added a NRT flight at 00.50,does anybody know if I would still get a free room ?. The New 00.50 departure was not bookable (it is now) on the TK website when I booked and paid for the ticket. Furthermore,there is no comfort class on the new 00.50 departure,when I checked the LIS-NRT scedule,today, in this class it only shows my schedule. The same situation actualy aplies to my return.
The botom line is basically.
1. I could not book the new schedule in ANY class when I paid for it a month ago.
2. I still cannot book it in my desired,and paid for, class of service.
Calling TK abouth this problem only results in the agent hanging up when he/she realises that its not a standard problem,-as anticepated!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Jun 7, 2013 at 7:36 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
So apparently they interpreted the rule as meaning there can be no outgoing OR INCOMING flights during your layover to be eligible. So now I'm confused, in which case were the eligibility rules correctly applied-- both, neither, or one?
Both should've been denied if there can be no outgoing nor incoming flight.

Here's my scenario,

JFK-IST (TK12) 4:45 pm connecting IST-BKK (TK64) at 8:05 pm, original connection time is 3:20.

However, if I get to JFK soon enough, I can get on TK2 and arrive at IST around 11:40 am, based on fellow FTer's experience with similar schedule, was this denied or approved?

Either way, I'd rather spend more time at IST than JFK. Any hotels near the airport offering day rooms? TAV is such a ripoff, especially the 3-6 hours rates.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by vincewy
Both should've been denied if there can be no outgoing nor incoming flight.

Here's my scenario,

JFK-IST (TK12) 4:45 pm connecting IST-BKK (TK64) at 8:05 pm, original connection time is 3:20.

However, if I get to JFK soon enough, I can get on TK2 and arrive at IST around 11:40 am, based on fellow FTer's experience with similar schedule, was this denied or approved?

Either way, I'd rather spend more time at IST than JFK. Any hotels near the airport offering day rooms? TAV is such a ripoff, especially the 3-6 hours rates.
If you can catch an earlier flight then another option you have is to join the free tour. You won't get hotel because there is a later flight that day that you could have taken. If you are TK E you ought to get lounge access, so that 3 hr 20 layover shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by nacho
If you can catch an earlier flight then another option you have is to join the free tour. You won't get hotel because there is a later flight that day that you could have taken. If you are TK E you ought to get lounge access, so that 3 hr 20 layover shouldn't be a problem.
Been to all tourist traps in Istanbul (n times) so I won't need the tour (unless they have something outiside Istanbul). Yes I have lounge access and there're sleeping rooms, AFAIK they are almost always booked at all time so chance of getting to lay down for a few hours is next to zero. Nonetheless, if I get to IST early enough I'll find somewhere to rest near IST.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been to all tourist traps in Istanbul (n times) so I won't need the tour (unless they have something outiside Istanbul). Yes I have lounge access and there're sleeping rooms, AFAIK they are almost always booked at all time so chance of getting to lay down for a few hours is next to zero. Nonetheless, if I get to IST early enough I'll find somewhere to rest near IST.
There are several hotels close to IST, and a lot of them have shuttles going to and from the airport. I stayed at Courtyard Istanbul Airport and it's about 5 mins by shuttle which is fairly convenient.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by GrizNation
I have a question regarding the free hotel accommodation policy.

I'm flying TRN-IST-JFK. I land from TRN at 6.15pm and my flight out to JFK is at 1.15 pm the day after. There was an earlier flight a 7.15am but that would have been more than 10 hours anyways, so do I still qualify for a free hotel stay?

Technically it's not the first flight out, but even if it was it would have been more than 10 hr layover. Anyone has any experience?
Very similar to my trip's scenario next year where the shortest possible connection would be over the threshold but I'll be electing a longer layover (comfort and peace of mind), would they still honor free hotel?

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Very similar to my trip's scenario next year where the shortest possible connection would be over the threshold but I'll be electing a longer layover (comfort and peace of mind), would they still honor free hotel?
Just returned from my trip and I can confirm that they will honor it no problem! I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. Kudos TK, this would never happen with UA
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizNation
Just returned from my trip and I can confirm that they will honor it no problem! I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. Kudos TK, this would never happen with UA
Good for you ^, but we have also seen some posters who got turned down by TK in previous posts because they were told that there is an earlier departure.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:45 am

Anyone knows if I could get the hotel?
I saw somewhere that before getting out of airside you have to go to transfer desk and get a voucher, then get the visa and go to Hotel Desk to ask for the hotel, right?

Flight details:
Flight BCN-IST arrives 14th august at 10.25 am.
Flight IST-MOW departs 15th august at 8.30 am.
Layover is 22 hours long.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:53 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jogb
Anyone knows if I could get the hotel?
I saw somewhere that before getting out of airside you have to go to transfer desk and get a voucher, then get the visa and go to Hotel Desk to ask for the hotel, right?

Flight details:
Flight BCN-IST arrives 14th august at 10.25 am.
Flight IST-MOW departs 15th august at 8.30 am.
Layover is 22 hours long.

Thanks!
As there are plenty of Moscow flights on the day of your arrival (three to be precise) you will be out of luck.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyergold
As there are plenty of Moscow flights on the day of your arrival (three to be precise) you will be out of luck.
You can always try, obviously someone got a hotel room even though there was an earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.