Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Hotel

Originally Posted by yyzleg
Yes, if the connection is 7 hours or more.
And, the same scenario, if booked on TK in economy class on a UA award ticket? Layovers of greater than 10 hours still receive free hotel accommodation from THY?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:00 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by cagcag
And, the same scenario, if booked on TK in economy class on a UA award ticket? Layovers of greater than 10 hours still receive free hotel accommodation from THY?
Yup, provided there is no earlier connection available.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour when connecting at IST

Just got off the phone with an TY agent. Supervisor states if connection is more then 24 hours layover your not getting a hotel . I have a 21 hr layover so they said I am eligible .
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: DL, UA, US, AA, HHonors, Club Carlson, Kimpton
I have a 22h layover in Istanbul and will be staying at a hotel overnight, will I need to get a visa before leaving the USA?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Visa

Originally Posted by Efilon87
I have a 22h layover in Istanbul and will be staying at a hotel overnight, will I need to get a visa before leaving the USA?
US passport holders may obtain 90 day multiple entry visas at ALL Turkish points of entry (including, of course, IST airport). $20 will get you the "visa" stamp; obtain at the visa booth prior to clearing passport control.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Just got the entry visa at IST recently. Very easy process. Just walk up to the window with your money ready. Cash only. $20 or 15 Euros. Then sticker is placed in your passport and you are good to clear immigration. So no need to get the Visa before leaving, unless you want to. Personally I think getting the visa at IST was quick and easy.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC, VS
Thumbs down

Flying TK in June MAN-JRO for a Kilimanjaro charity hike

Disappointed to learn that TK doesn't want to honor their transit hotel policy and simply tells me that I should have traveled earlier when there was a same day connection.

1. TK's web site won't sell that connection.

2. Our IST-JRO is the next available one from our inbound flight

3. TK could always say to the customer "well you should just have traveled earlier" on the initial sector. We we're not in the market for an AM MAN departure (or earlier dates).

There's a real expectation gap here and I'm frustrated to feel like I need to argue and fight for something TK publishes as a service / benefit http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

What a shame as in the past I’ve had great experiences flying with TK on business into and through IST.

Hope others have a more positive experience!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Walmsley
Flying TK in June MAN-JRO for a Kilimanjaro charity hike

Disappointed to learn that TK doesn't want to honor their transit hotel policy and simply tells me that I should have traveled earlier when there was a same day connection.

1. TK's web site won't sell that connection.

2. Our IST-JRO is the next available one from our inbound flight

3. TK could always say to the customer "well you should just have traveled earlier" on the initial sector. We we're not in the market for an AM MAN departure (or earlier dates).

There's a real expectation gap here and I'm frustrated to feel like I need to argue and fight for something TK publishes as a service / benefit http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

What a shame as in the past I’ve had great experiences flying with TK on business into and through IST.

Hope others have a more positive experience!
Please read the 1st post of this thread under Rules.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Will you get a free hotel if you book TK flights by using UA award miles biz class??
Does this work only on BIZ class tickets? I will be in IST flying from FCO to IAH with connection time over 14 hours. This will be on a Saver Economy reward. Or should I look at other options?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:40 am

Free hotel in Istanbul?

Hi

We have a 13 hour stopover in Istanbul.

Do we need to contact Turkish Airlines in advance to claim the free hotel?

Also, My outbound flights are class "T" and return ones are class "P" - what is the difference?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:19 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by dm1983
Hi

We have a 13 hour stopover in Istanbul.

Do we need to contact Turkish Airlines in advance to claim the free hotel?

Also, My outbound flights are class "T" and return ones are class "P" - what is the difference?
Welcome to FT and the TK forum dm1983 ^

I have moved your post to the "free hotel" master thread which explains the procedure.

T and P and just different fare classes, not different service classes.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:59 pm

The layover time is calculated on the schedule not your booking. Let me explain: If the schedule shows an outgoing flight within the 10/7 hours window, even if you are not booked on the earlier flight (or couldn't book because it was full), you won't be able to take advantage of the free hotel/tour offer.
Does this mean if your flight is delayed and slightly below the 10 hours, you will still get the hotel?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:08 am

I am arriving from Edinburgh at 18:35 into Istanbul. I then have a onward flight to Skopje at 7.50 the following day. I am thinking I will qualify for a free hotel room, the one concern I have is that there is another flight scheduled to Skopje that leaves 45 minutes after I am scheduled to arrive in Istanbul. Does the fact that a flight is scheduled 45 minutes after I arrive mean I cannot claim my free hotel room ?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Queensferry
I am arriving from Edinburgh at 18:35 into Istanbul. I then have a onward flight to Skopje at 7.50 the following day. I am thinking I will qualify for a free hotel room, the one concern I have is that there is another flight scheduled to Skopje that leaves 45 minutes after I am scheduled to arrive in Istanbul. Does the fact that a flight is scheduled 45 minutes after I arrive mean I cannot claim my free hotel room ?
Possibly.
If paying full fare (or a more expensive fare class), would Turkish allow you to book that flight that leaves 45 mins after your arrival in IST? If so, then you cannot claim your free hotel room.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by iamaho
Possibly.
If paying full fare (or a more expensive fare class), would Turkish allow you to book that flight that leaves 45 mins after your arrival in IST? If so, then you cannot claim your free hotel room.
That's a good question so I logged onto their website and it does not give me the option to book the 19:15 flight to Skopje. The only flight it would let me connect with was the 7am one (the one I am on anyway) so it looks like I should get the free room. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.