Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by RealHJ
We are arriving in IST at 6pm and departing 5pm the next day (both TK flights, both int'l, both the only flights as per schedule - so we meet all the requirements). Is there any chance to get both a hotel (it would need to be at/nearby airport, as the tour departs from the airport @ 9am) and the 9am-3pm tour, or are they firm on one or the other and not both?
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/faq

All international transit passengers who have flight trough İstanbul can attend touristanbul.
Both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) Connection times between flights should not be longer than 24 hours and shorter than 6 hours. As an exception connections between continents have 48hours max between 2 flights.
Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
If you prefer accomodation, you may contact with our hoteldesk for terms and conditions ([email protected]). They will inform you that your booking is eligible or not.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by iamaho
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/faq

All international transit passengers who have flight trough İstanbul can attend touristanbul.
Both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) Connection times between flights should not be longer than 24 hours and shorter than 6 hours. As an exception connections between continents have 48hours max between 2 flights.
Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
If you prefer accomodation, you may contact with our hoteldesk for terms and conditions ([email protected]). They will inform you that your booking is eligible or not.
Yes, I read the FAQ, but I was asking is that really so strictly enforced? And it being a business class ticket makes no difference (e.g. coach may get 1 or the other, but business class if >18 hours stay may get both?)?

What about if instead of taking two hotel rooms (one each pax), two pax take 1 hotel room (2 twin beds) - under one passenger (two still stay there), and 1 tour - but with 2 particpants - under the other passenger?

So, each pax takes only 1.
Passenger 1: 1 hotel romm (twin)
Passenger 2: 1 tour (for two)
Then each is only 1, not both... would that work?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, I read the FAQ, but I was asking is that really so strictly enforced? And it being a business class ticket makes no difference (e.g. coach may get 1 or the other, but business class if >18 hours stay may get both?)?

What about if instead of taking two hotel rooms (one each pax), two pax take 1 hotel room (2 twin beds) - under one passenger (two still stay there), and 1 tour - but with 2 particpants - under the other passenger?

So, each pax takes only 1.
Passenger 1: 1 hotel romm (twin)
Passenger 2: 1 tour (for two)
Then each is only 1, not both... would that work?

You will be driven to the hotel by TK hotel shuttle, unless you can get your friend to go to the hotel and get to your room.

Of course you can try your luck to see if you can join the IST tour at 9am if you can be at hotel desk at 8am.

Also why do you want to try so hard to grab everything? You can easily do the sightseeing tour yourself. It costs like TL 3 to take the metro into the city. The only thing you really miss is the food provided for the tour.

You can see a lot more by yourself because there are a lot of waiting time during the tour.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by nacho
You will be driven to the hotel by TK hotel shuttle, unless you can get your friend to go to the hotel and get to your room.

Of course you can try your luck to see if you can join the IST tour at 9am if you can be at hotel desk at 8am.

Also why do you want to try so hard to grab everything? You can easily do the sightseeing tour yourself. It costs like TL 3 to take the metro into the city. The only thing you really miss is the food provided for the tour.

You can see a lot more by yourself because there are a lot of waiting time during the tour.
True, and that is what I was thinking, that probably we just take two hotel rooms and go around by ourselves. It's just that being on the tour would save the worry and time of planning where to go in advance, looking up the open days and hours, saving offline maps on phone, planning out the optimal and most efficient route.

Does TK only give the "free" hotel rooms nearby the airport, or do they also work with some hotels more in the city (e.g., in Islamahmet that would be super convenient)? If the "free" hotel room would be provided more in the city (vs. next to the airport), that would be ideal and make it really easy and make the tour redundant then practically.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won't know until you are there. You can ask if you could be put in hotels that are closer to the city. The drawback is that you might be stuck in traffic and miss your connecting flight. Traffic in IST is real bad - we were told by the guide and she stressed that we had to leave in a good time before the traffic get worse.

Getting around IST is easy. The metro is fast and convenient. Get a Istanbulkart (transportation card) that will give you discount on Metro and Trams. 2 people can share a card and you can buy it at IST Metro station.

Last time I did the layover I decided not to take the free night because I was travelling with Mr. Nacho and 3 small Nachos. We were worried that we'll be separated (in theory they could put us into 2 rooms in 2 hotels, or stuff all 5 of us into a room with 1 bed), so we paid to stay at the Courtyard close to the Airport (although there are people sent there that evening, again we didn't want to risk anything).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by KATERGOO
I am booked on the same trip WAW-IST-KUL business class (first leg LOT, second leg MH - code share flights). As I was paying for my ticket over the phone, TK confirmed I was eligible for complimentary hotel and gave me the following phone number to book the room : 0090 212 463 7777 ext: 2426 or 2503.
Originally Posted by KATERGOO
Share flights are good for complementary hotel. Flew LOT from Warsaw to Istanbul and Malaysia Airlines from Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur. Was granted a night in Istanbul (Crystal Hotel, near Taksim ---> not a wonderful hotel though !)

So were you able to book a room in advance or did you just follow the 'go to hotel desk' procedure ?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray
So were you able to book a room in advance or did you just follow the 'go to hotel desk' procedure ?
You can't - TK hotel desk does the allocation when someone is physically present at the office. That's why we paid for our transfer at IST even though we are 100% legit for the free hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
You can't - TK hotel desk does the allocation when someone is physically present at the office. That's why we paid for our transfer at IST even though we are 100% legit for the free hotel.
Thanks ! That's unfortunately what I gathered... My Type A personality makes it hard for me to wait until I get there to know where I am staying
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks ! That's unfortunately what I gathered... My Type A personality makes it hard for me to wait until I get there to know where I am staying
You should be ok because they usually get you Holiday Inn equivalent or better hotel at IST. We are 5 altogether last time and we were worried about not being able to stay at the same hotel - since you won't know anything until you are actually there.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:19 pm

forgoing the freebie

i agree - much as i hate to pass up anything that's FREE - after the trip from LEX via ORD, we'll probably be in no shape for waiting for vouchers etc. - plus it's my cousin's first time to IST, with only the 1 night spent there - so we'll most likely spend the 200 euros or so for a hotel and driver each way in order to spend a night in Sultanahmet and see a few of the sights, plus of course a delicious dinner in Aksaray

but it is a great program and a wonderful thing for TK to offer
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: *G
Approx what is the value of the hotel?

I have a 17hr layover, but its not the immediate-next flight.

Pondering whether to get my own accomodation, or eat the change fee (J fare) to get the hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
Approx what is the value of the hotel?

I have a 17hr layover, but its not the immediate-next flight.

Pondering whether to get my own accomodation, or eat the change fee (J fare) to get the hotel.
First of all, if there is an earlier flight you are not entitled to hotel accommodation.

If you do get one, then it depends on the price they charge on that day. You won't get something worth EUR 200/night. I would say between EUR 50-100 depending on your luck.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:48 pm
Suspended

First of all, if there is an earlier flight you are not entitled to hotel accommodation.

If you do get one, then it depends on the price they charge on that day. You won't get something worth EUR 200/night. I would say between EUR 50-100 depending on your luck.
Please,-could you tell me where you find those habitable 50-100 euro hotel rooms in Istanbul today? Have TK started sending people to Aksaray quasi brothels?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geirfugl
Please,-could you tell me where you find those habitable 50-100 euro hotel rooms in Istanbul today? Have TK started sending people to Aksaray quasi brothels?
Courtyard Istanbul Airport, Carlson hotels Friends and Family rate gets you Radisson for EUR 80.

Last edited by nacho; Aug 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:58 am

Hello everyone,

If I send them an email with my itinerary (which shows that there are no earlier fligh options both ways) is there any chance they can confirm we (4pax) will be given a hotel room? It would take a lot of the stress off.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.