Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:19 am
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
I was put in the Marriott at IST.
The overall procces took ages. TK really seems to wait for a minimum number of hotel pax to show up, group them together and send them off...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ikvliegveel
I was put in the Marriott at IST.
The overall procces took ages. TK really seems to wait for a minimum number of hotel pax to show up, group them together and send them off...
That is why you should offer to arange your own transport,then they will imediately give you the voucher,and your of to the hotel for something like 10usd,otherwise they wait for a small bus to fill up,as I said you also stand a very good chance to get a closer hotel. Check inn will also be much faster,since your on your own,this can take quite some time when there is a TK group of 20 people late at night.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
Originally Posted by geirfugl
That is why you should offer to arange your own transport,then they will imediately give you the voucher,and your of to the hotel for something like 10usd,otherwise they wait for a small bus to fill up,as I said you also stand a very good chance to get a closer hotel. Check inn will also be much faster,since your on your own,this can take quite some time when there is a TK group of 20 people late at night.
Based on my experience you have to wait not only for the transfer bus, but while the staff arranges accommodation. I was alone on the bus both way, but had to wait 15-20 minutes in the lounge. The new arrival lounge is open, so you can wait there as a star gold member or business pax.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ben63
The new arrival lounge is open, so you can wait there as a star gold member or business pax.
I'm afraid that is not 100% true.
Arrival Lounge is for TK C pax and MS Elite+ members only. And iirc Elite+ traveling in Economy/Comfort class will only be allowed entry when arriving on a 6h+ TK flight.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Based on my experience you have to wait not only for the transfer bus, but while the staff arranges accommodation. I was alone on the bus both way, but had to wait 15-20 minutes in the lounge. The new arrival lounge is open, so you can wait there as a star gold member or business pax.
Maybe you were just unlucky,or,I supose its conceivable that the TK staff member felt that you ought to wait at least a bit since you were given a free room??,its conceivable. I have been given the voucher emediately on two separate ocasions and actually offered this option once before. This I think is great service,Im no uncritical fan of TK,but credit should be given when its due. On the other hand I was sternly told that it was absolutely impossible to wait outside the Starbucks aerea,even being a bizz pax ariving from Tokyo,bcs they needed to contact me.
If there were no other people waiting for accomodation I realy cannot understand how it can possiblt take them 20 min to arrange the accom,the office is well staffed.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:47 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm writing this from the Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel on an overnight layover. The process was easy. Maybe 15-20 people were taken to buses, and only 2 of us went to the Renaissance. I was in Business class, not sure about the other person. The rest went on another bus. Nice hotel, if a little dated and its right on the water.

My departure is 7:45 tomorrow, and Turkish arranged pickup at 4am. Its maybe 10 minutes to the airport. I want to enjoy the CIP lounge, but that's a bit excessive. I'm leaning towards a cab at a more reasonable hour.

Last edited by BTA; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The new arrival lounge is open, so you can wait there as a star gold member or business pax.
Not for star golds - it's ONLY for TK Elite Plus members/Business pax. *A Gold stil have to wait outside Starbucks.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Just to reiterate what you said, we are both Stargolds and we are connecting overnight YYZ-IST-LGW; so on arrival i ask for my hotel voucher and tell them I have my transportation?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

You DO need a visa to enter Turkey if you come from a country that needs a visa.Period.To go to your hotel you enter Turkey,you go through imigation.
does U.S. passport holder need a visa?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Mama
does U.S. passport holder need a visa?
Yes.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this is my flight:

TK 18 H 05JUN YYZ-IST* 2250 1540 06JUN
TK1981 H 07JUN IST-LGW* 1100 0905

We will hopefully qualify for the hotel. We intend to get our own transfers to and from the hotel.

Do they deal with Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza in IST for Transit passengers?\

Aslo we land at 340pm. Wtill the hotel provide us with dinner and then breakfast in the morning?

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sent an email to check if my connection qualified for a hotel and got this response:

Dear sir/madam

Passengers are entitled to free hotel accomodation just they need to apply to hotel desk office which is near the sturbucks cafe on arrival floor

For hotel accomodation we do not have any booking or listing
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So this is my flight:

TK 18 H 05JUN YYZ-IST* 2250 1540 06JUN
TK1981 H 07JUN IST-LGW* 1100 0905

We will hopefully qualify for the hotel. We intend to get our own transfers to and from the hotel.

Do they deal with Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza in IST for Transit passengers?\

Aslo we land at 340pm. Wtill the hotel provide us with dinner and then breakfast in the morning?

Meals accommodations are excluded.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimmedlights
Meals accommodations are excluded.
What makes you say that accomodations are excluded?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
What makes you say that accomodations are excluded?
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.