Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Originally Posted by docbert
It's clearly talking about an "alternative flight to your first flight". ie, you can catch a later TLV-IST with a much shorter connection.

The simple fact is that there is NO way to use the hotel benefit when flying to/from TLV, due to the frequency of flights on that route - there's always going to be a connection option that is less than 10 hours (economy), and I think even always one less than 7 hours (business).

Yes, absolutely. Act like you're a connecting passenger to get to the lounge. Depending on where you're coming from that might mean just going up the ramp, or it might mean going through connection security.

To get back, walk out of the main lounge entrance, and keep walking straight. When you get to the start of the food court (pretty much at the very other end of the main terminal), you'll find a set of stairs on your left. Go down those stairs, and you'll be back in the arrivals area, where you can then go through immigration to entry the country (obviously you'll need an eVisa first if your country of citizenship needs one).

I've done this same route many times, and never had an issue. There are staff at the bottom of the stairs that you might need to interact with - just let them know you're headed to immigration and they will be fine.
Thanks for the update. Will I be able to take the tour if my ticket is award booking made with United?
Thanks,
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Thanks for the update. Will I be able to take the tour if my ticket is award booking made with United?
Thanks,
It has been mentioned here that getting the hotel or tour on award bookings from different *A partners is not a problem.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium
Would TK give me a free hotel for this layover?

Hi Everyone - would the following be eligible for a free hotel? Also, are hotels provided on award bookings? Thank you!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:57 am

If there is no earlier flight to WAW and no later flight from KBP, then yes.

I'd check with their flight schedule, since awards aren't always available for all flights and might not show all flight options..

But giving that a 4* hotel in IST can be had for approx 30€, I'd really not bother too much.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
This was my first time trying this. Waiting time at the hotel desk approx 30 mins. There was a big rush of people arriving after I did, and they hence got a shorter wait as they seem to round up a number of guests. Was put up at the Renaissance Polat about 10 mins away, and even got a garden room. This is only one data point, but must say I was most pleased.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
For an overnight layover, traveling in business, will TK short-check my bag so I can pick it up in IST or will they insist on checking it all the way through to my final destination?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:49 pm

Return to airport on my own

Hello,

I will have a transfer at IST between 6:25 am and 3:45 pm and would like to do the free tour. However returning by 12 noon with the first tour is quite early and returning by 3 pm might me a bit late. Do you have experience if I could take the first tour and stay longer in town and return to the airport on my own instead of taking the bus back...?

Thanks for your responses.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
For an overnight layover, traveling in business, will TK short-check my bag so I can pick it up in IST or will they insist on checking it all the way through to my final destination?
I personally would rely on my carry-on and not bother with the pick-up and check-in at IST, but I’m sure you have your own good reasons. Ive never done this, but don’t think you’ll run into any issues when you request this at check-in.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by maik.k
Hello,

I will have a transfer at IST between 6:25 am and 3:45 pm and would like to do the free tour. However returning by 12 noon with the first tour is quite early and returning by 3 pm might me a bit late. Do you have experience if I could take the first tour and stay longer in town and return to the airport on my own instead of taking the bus back...?

i don't know if it's still the case. a year ago, the tour guy requested people signing a waiver if they leave the tour and return the airport on their own. (i.e. acknowledging all the risks if you don't return on time for your flight)
maik.k likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by maik.k
Hello,

I once had a 7:05PM flight to LHR and those people say I cant take the 9AM-6PM tour, but only the 9AM-3PM tour instead. I asked the tourguide and tell him I am with TK Gold so I can enter with fastlane. He suggests that I will have a risk missing my flight, but it's up to me. I decided to stay longer with the tour and signed a waiver that they will not liable for that. The bus eventually went back to IST at 5:15pm. Plenty of time!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: TK Gold
BTW, anyone knows whether there's any hotels near ISL (New AIprot ). It seems like there's nth around the area
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Recent experience from few days ago for those still transiting while IST is operational:

About 15min wait at the airport hotel desk. There is a separate minibus for business pax - on both directions they took Business class passengers to Renaissance Polat (Marriott chain) hotel which is very conveniently only less than 10 minutes drive from the airport. Economy pax were taken with a bigger bus to a different hotel (don't know which).

Hotel itself is very nice with excellent hospitality from front desk staff. Breakfast was also included with the room provided, the service starts at 6:30AM (they also added it to my Marriott account but no nights credited as it is a non earning rate but I was able to see it in Marriott app along with the rate information, which was 38,50EUR + tax for the night ).

Pick-up back to airport was ~2 hours before departure time with the same Turkish minibus. Very convenient.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Hello. Any current experiences of free hotel stay for *A Gold pax flying in economy? Was hotel choice given? Chance to request a " non-acceptable" facility ( like Raduson Blu or WOW?)
It's been about 2 years since I was hosted by THY.
Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Any current experiences of free hotel stay for *A Gold pax flying in economy? Was hotel choice given? Chance to request a " non-acceptable" facility ( like Raduson Blu or WOW?)
It's been about 2 years since I was hosted by THY.
Thanks
I got lucky twice: once the guy mentioned E+ status as reason and another time I offered to get my own taxi to a closer hotel.
usually there’s no choice, they fill up the buses/hotels in blocks.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Furry
Recent experience from few days ago for those still transiting while IST is operational:

About 15min wait at the airport hotel desk. There is a separate minibus for business pax - on both directions they took Business class passengers to Renaissance Polat (Marriott chain) hotel which is very conveniently only less than 10 minutes drive from the airport. Economy pax were taken with a bigger bus to a different hotel (don't know which).

Hotel itself is very nice with excellent hospitality from front desk staff. Breakfast was also included with the room provided, the service starts at 6:30AM (they also added it to my Marriott account but no nights credited as it is a non earning rate but I was able to see it in Marriott app along with the rate information, which was 38,50EUR + tax for the night ).

Pick-up back to airport was ~2 hours before departure time with the same Turkish minibus. Very convenient.
In a couple of weeks, I will be flying SFO-IST-DUB in J class. I have one ticket all the way through but have to overnight in IST due to connection being the next day. I was looking at staying at the Renaissance Polat. I guess I will not be covered under TK and have to book it myself? Also, would I have access to the minibus if I am not covered under TK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.