Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by escape4
I could book a 11 hour connection or a 15 hour connection. Since my only two choices are both above 7 hours (J) or 10 hours (Y), if I pick the 15-hour connection I still get the free hotel, right?
TK's website clearly states that the official policy on this is... ahh who am I kidding, since when has TK's website clearly stated anything about anything!?

Based on what's show on the new website, the answer appears to be no. Try searching for your flights on their website - you'll probably see it shows a hotel for the shorter connection, but TourIstanbul for the longer one (implying no hotel).

However my personal experience (stated above) is that I did get a hotel in this exact situation, without any issues at all.

If/when you try, please be sure to update us on how you did!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I could book a 11 hour connection or a 15 hour connection. Since my only two choices are both above 7 hours (J) or 10 hours (Y), if I pick the 15-hour connection I still get the free hotel, right?
If you have 15 hours transfer, you will not get a free hotel.
If you have the opportunity to take a shorter transfer, and you have - 11 hours, then only on this connection you will have a free hotel.

For example:
TXL - IST 18:50-23:50 -> IST - GRU 10:25-18:20 (connection 10h 35min) - YES free hotel (the shortest scheduled connections)
TXL - IST 14:40-19:30 -> IST - GRU 10:25-18.20 (connection ~15h) - NO free hotel

You can write to [email protected] and ask for that.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Question...

TK795 arriving IST at 15:30, connecting flight to YYZ TK17 is 15:30 the next day. Obviously will/can not make connection on the same day. AFAIK there is no TK to YYZ in between (15:30 - 15:30+1). So in theory I should be eligible for hotel.

But TK is giving me this canned respond
You can not benefit from hotel accommodation. Your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less. Have a nice day.
Did I missed something? Or TK is wrong?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Question...

TK795 arriving IST at 15:30, connecting flight to YYZ TK17 is 15:30 the next day. Obviously will/can not make connection on the same day. AFAIK there is no TK to YYZ in between (15:30 - 15:30+1). So in theory I should be eligible for hotel.

Did I missed something? Or TK is wrong?
There are almost a flight every hour from TLV to IST in the morning hours. You can take many other flights on the same day and be able to connect to TK17.

The restriction is not per a combination of particular flights, but the combination of all available flights that day (so if TK795 was the only flight on the route that day, you will be correct). Because there are many other flights on the same day that would allow you to make your connection, TK is correct.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
There are almost a flight every hour from TLV to IST in the morning hours. You can take many other flights on the same day and be able to connect to TK17.

The restriction is not per a combination of particular flights, but the combination of all available flights that day (so if TK795 was the only flight on the route that day, you will be correct). Because there are many other flights on the same day that would allow you to make your connection, TK is correct.
Humm... What TK said was "However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service" My understanding is my "first flight" is TK795, "an alternative flight" means other than TK17, and there is no "alternative flight" with "waiting time is less".

I don't see anything mention about "first flight", sounds like it is only the connecting flight that counts.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Humm... What TK said was "However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service" My understanding is my "first flight" is TK795, "an alternative flight" means other than TK17, and there is no "alternative flight" with "waiting time is less".

I don't see anything mention about "first flight", sounds like it is only the connecting flight that counts.
This is not what I read: "alternative flight to your first flight" means what it says - a different flight from your first flight (which is TK795), which it can. It does not say anything about the connecting flight.

In essence this benefit is available when there is no possibility of making the connection in less time, not when the passenger chooses not to connect in less time.
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
I am arriving IST at 5am and leaving at 8pm.
If I go through transit to visit the main lounge upstairs, will I be allow to go back down to arrivals and clear customs to join a tour?
Also, is it possible to confirm tour reservation in advance? If not, how long before the tour start should I be at the hotel desk in order to avoid the rest of the tour being fully booked?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
If I go through transit to visit the main lounge upstairs, will I be allow to go back down to arrivals and clear customs to join a tour?
IIRC, last year I did the same, and yes, you can exit and clear custom. That's exactly what I did, go to lounge freshen up myself before heading out to join the tour.

Also, is it possible to confirm tour reservation in advance? If not, how long before the tour start should I be at the hotel desk in order to avoid the rest of the tour being fully booked?

Thanks
AFAIK, there is no 'reservation', you just walk out custom, turn right, head toward starbucks. TK hotel desk is across from it. My suggestion is go maybe an hour before tour starts, but YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:58 pm

In essence this benefit is available when there is no possibility of making the connection in less time, not when the passenger chooses not to connect in less time.
Point taken and agree...

This is not what I read: "alternative flight to your first flight" means what it says - a different flight from your first flight (which is TK795), which it can. It does not say anything about the connecting flight.
But their wording wasn't clear.... In that sense, there will always be a less connecting time option, isn't that true? Or unless one can find the shortest connection time and still exceed 7(J)/10(Y) hours and benefit from it?

So, sounds like now I have 24hrs wander around the new IST airport... %$#@! Hope the lounge is ready.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:21 pm

But their wording wasn't clear.... In that sense, there will always be a less connecting time option, isn't that true? Or unless one can find the shortest connection time and still exceed 7(J)/10(Y) hours and benefit from it?
Not at all. For two destinations that have only a daily flight to IST ot two there will be instances that it is impossible to make the connection within the 7 hours even when taking the shortest connection time flights. It is not as rare as it may sound. It is actually quite rare to have as many flights from TLV as TK has. While the timetable is optimized to prevent long connections, sometime they are unavoidable.
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
TK newbie here trying to book a ticket from EZE to ARN on 2nd of Jan 2018. I've read through the rules for free hotel night (10h for Y / 7h for J) and understand the concept. Also it seems that it shows a bed icon on TK site when booking is eligible for the before mentioned hotel night. For some reason it doesn't show the icon for this day (For 1st of Jan 2018 for the same flight combo icon is shown), can it be a bug on their site or are they also counting the connections through PTY with Copa (as they result less than 7 hour connection in IST but with significantly longer travel time to reach ARN, can they)?

Also, does it make any difference if I have make the booking from OTA instead of directly from TK site?

Here are all options from TK site for that day:

Here is the flight I would choose and that in my opinion should classify for hotel:

Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's clearly talking about an "alternative flight to your first flight". ie, you can catch a later TLV-IST with a much shorter connection.

The simple fact is that there is NO way to use the hotel benefit when flying to/from TLV, due to the frequency of flights on that route - there's always going to be a connection option that is less than 10 hours (economy), and I think even always one less than 7 hours (business).

Yes, absolutely. Act like you're a connecting passenger to get to the lounge. Depending on where you're coming from that might mean just going up the ramp, or it might mean going through connection security.

To get back, walk out of the main lounge entrance, and keep walking straight. When you get to the start of the food court (pretty much at the very other end of the main terminal), you'll find a set of stairs on your left. Go down those stairs, and you'll be back in the arrivals area, where you can then go through immigration to entry the country (obviously you'll need an eVisa first if your country of citizenship needs one).

I've done this same route many times, and never had an issue. There are staff at the bottom of the stairs that you might need to interact with - just let them know you're headed to immigration and they will be fine.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Furry
For some reason it doesn't show the icon for this day (For 1st of Jan 2018 for the same flight combo icon is shown), can it be a bug on their site or are they also counting the connections through PTY with Copa (as they result less than 7 hour connection in IST but with significantly longer travel time to reach ARN, can they)?
I would put that down to yet another TK website issue. The shortest connection on that route is 10h45m, so you'll get a hotel regardless of class. It's possible the Copa flight is what is confusing the website, but it will NOT impact your ability to get a hotel.
FFlash and Furry like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Furry
TK newbie here trying to book a ticket from EZE to ARN on 2nd of Jan 2018. I've read through the rules for free hotel night (10h for Y / 7h for J) and understand the concept. Also it seems that it shows a bed icon on TK site when booking is eligible for the before mentioned hotel night. For some reason it doesn't show the icon for this day (For 1st of Jan 2018 for the same flight combo icon is shown), can it be a bug on their site or are they also counting the connections through PTY with Copa (as they result less than 7 hour connection in IST but with significantly longer travel time to reach ARN, can they)?

Also, does it make any difference if I have make the booking from OTA instead of directly from TK site?

Here are all options from TK site for that day:

Here is the flight I would choose and that in my opinion should classify for hotel:

Furry you have started to jump in TK?
Not bad, especially those good prices.
Yes you will get hotel. Copa has no influence. OTA plays no role, but may add you extra work toget the PNR
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by FFlash

Furry you have started to jump in TK?
Not bad, especially those good prices.
Yes you will get hotel. Copa has no influence. OTA plays no role, but may add you extra work toget the PNR
I am a bit stepping into dark side!

From our beloved neighbor in the West the prices are extremely food (~2k€ for round trip and even less via OTA) so a little detour via IST (with free overnight hotel on both ways) is not that bad. Plus renewing A3 Gold on one single trip is also VEERY tempting. Not to mention making Mrs. very happy to visit South America on our "honeymoon". It's a win-win.
FFlash likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.