Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I got room 715 with ocean view, I'm sure the highest floors are reserved for real paying customers. I'm also seeing garden rooms, which would probably be TK-comped rooms under most scenarios.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:10 am

Will I be able to take advantage of the free tour?

We will be arriving IST on a Friday at 7:20 am, our connecting flight will leave at 12:35pm. Will I be able to take the sightseeing tour from 8:30am to 11:00am? We are flying business if that helps, thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by lililolo
We will be arriving IST on a Friday at 7:20 am, our connecting flight will leave at 12:35pm. Will I be able to take the sightseeing tour from 8:30am to 11:00am? We are flying business if that helps, thanks.
Welcome, please do read the wiki at the top of this page, the details about the tour and links to the website are included.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Transiting in Istanbul today with almost 9 hours transit time, flying in business class. First time to avail of the free hotel. Arrived at the desk around 6:15pm and was told to wait. After 15 mins, our names were called (we were 4) and we got the Polat Renaissance Hotel. Showed my Marriott Gold card to the associate checking us in and I asked if I could earn points. She said no since TK is paying for it but I would earn points for incidentals. She told us we had access to the club lounge tho. I guess you don't normally get hotel dinner voucher here unlike with Emirates. TK will pick us up at 12mn for our 2:10am flight. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:56 pm

Hi All,

My in laws will be flying BKK-IST->ORD in business class with a 9 hour layover in IST. They are US citizens, so they cannot just go landslide and explore Istanbul for 9 hours. Has anyone been able to request the TAV airside hotel for their free accommodation? The layover is 9 hours, so unfortunately they won't qualify for a private room in the lounge.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: TK Gold
it seems the new website says something like the hotel option is restricted to various option.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...#tcm:40-134002

I have a ticket from Romania to Ukraine with 7.30 wait in IST. Does it still qualify?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
it seems the new website says something like the hotel option is restricted to various option.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...#tcm:40-134002

I have a ticket from Romania to Ukraine with 7.30 wait in IST. Does it still qualify?
The stop over programme is different from the hotel offer for those with connection mandated stop over. TK offer in certain markets a free stop over in IST, even if there is a short connection available. In your case if you traveling in business and there is no better connection you will qualify.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: TK Elite
Question on free hotel for long connections

So I'm eyeing a long haul itinerary where:
-The shortest connection option in IST is 15 hours & priced at 1,500€
- Another option is a 19 hour connection in IST & priced at... 1,100€

Given that the shortest connection time makes me eligible for the hotel, am I safe in booking the 1,100€ ticket & still getting the free hotel or will they tell me I didn't book the shortest possible route?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong forum.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:57 am

Yes, wrong forum. But presuming you're flying TK, I'd expect to be told no if you book the longer connection, again assuming the same destination. You might get lucky and it's worth a try but they do look at their flight schedules for determining eligibility.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
This thread needs to be moved to the Turkish Airlines forum. You’ll likely get the hotel as long as your itinerary has the shortest possible layover between your origin and destination cities (regardless of the price difference of tickets)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

The 400€ difference will be way more than one hotel night near IST, especially on points.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If one flight departs 4 hours after the other, it appears that your destination is served with a far greater frequency; as such, that the first possible connection would require a minimum waiting time of 11 hours seems highly unlikely.

If there are earlier flights, regardless of whether they are far more expensive, or even indeed sold out, then you won't be entitled to a hotel by lengthening your stay to obtain the cheapest possible prices. (The inconvenience is the reason they are charged like this; this doesn't automatically mean you get a free hotel. The free hotel is offered to make up for the inconvenience of having no alternative to the long connection; it is not there to make your choice of a far-cheaper connection more personally palatable)
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: TK Elite
So sorry for posting here guys, I must still be hungover from NYE, mods please move as appropriate thanks

For clarity's sake the route would be CAI-IST-NRT R/T with TK.(1,050€ R/T)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
No problem about where you post. that can be easily fixed. Just dont forget the advice provided!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.