Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
No problem about where you post. that can be easily fixed. Just dont forget the advice provided!
Thanks so you're basically saying I need to book the more expensive ticket to be guaranteed the hotel am I roght?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Thanks so you're basically saying I need to book the more expensive ticket to be guaranteed the hotel am I roght?
I am telling you your connection needs to be the shortest one available between your origin and destination, to qualify for a free hotel. In other words, if the long layover is voluntary (to save money, in your case) and not forced by the schedule, you then dont qualify.

Either use the saved $400 to pay for a hotel in IST,
or hang out in the airport lounge (business class?),
or sign up for an Istanbul tour,
or pay for the more expensive ticket.
(or, beg for a hotel once you land in Istanbul)

see this link from Turkish Airlines website:
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...hotel-service/

and this link for an explanation by a blogger
Everything You Need to Know About Turkish Airlines? Free Transit Hotel - Live and Let's Fly
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, except you can easily get a decent hotel room near IST for less than 100 euros.

I use the Hilton Garden Inn - Honors award category 1 - so $25 to buy the points during a point sale promo. (and 2,000 earned back from the Q1 promo)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:02 am

Man I have no clue about these hotel deals that's a fantastic deal Craig, I'll look into that

Last edited by AirCanada881; Jan 3, 2018 at 3:10 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

I have personal experience with this and I can assure you that when you present your ticket/boarding passes to the TK folks in the Business Class Lounge, they WILL check to see IF there was a shorter connection available and if there is, and it is shorter than the required time for a free room, they will deny you that free room. It happened to me and even when I showed them that the shorter connection was NOT available at the time of ticketing, they still denied me the free hotel room.

Enjoy the TK Business Class Lounge which is perhaps the most Awesome and Massive Business Class Lounge on Earth. Come Hungry and experience the Culinary Extravaganza !!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No. Price is NOT what determines whether you get a hotel.

Hotels are offered only when flight timings require that you MUST have a layover of at least a certain [relatively] long duration. Choosing to "miss" the first, or first several, flights that you could have caught, means you are not entitled to a free hotel - because a "short" connection that does not require a hotel stay was available. Regardless of the reason for not booking that faster connection - whether because it was more expensive, or whether it was because you actually wanted to stay for longer in Istanbul - that is your decision, and not something the airline has "forced" you into, so any hotel costs would be on you, not on the airline. If there actually are no other, earlier flights scheduled that you COULD have chosen, meaning that you HAVE to wait for several hours, then the airline is providing the hotel to make this otherwise unattractive connection more palatable. The hotel is offered to people who don't really want to stay over; if you instead show that you WANT to stay over, then the hotel is at your cost.

The hotel is offered by the airline in order to offset the unattractiveness of the ticket, given that it requires such a long layover. HOWEVER, if you build your own "long layover" into the ticket - whether because you want a cheaper ticket, or whether because you want to visit friends, or whether you actually want to see Istanbul, etc etc - then no hotel is offered, because you forewent the option of taking the shortest available connection.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 3, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:23 am

Thanks everyone for your input, what I think alot of you missed was that in both cases, the connection was above 10 hours making me eligible for the hotel, it is just that the 15 hour connection was cheaper than the 10 hour connection so my question was if I choose the 15 hour connection over the 10 hour one, do I still get the hotel
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:19 pm

... if I choose the 15 hour connection over the 10 hour one, do I still get the hotel
I would conclude from the above discussion that the question is no longer relevant. If you want the same product at a lower cost, get the largest savings by choosing the right flights. After that, you can try getting a free hotel voucher or make use of other hotel bargains suggested.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Gold
TK Bosphorus Experience

Hi all,

Have a 10 hour connection coming up in two weeks in Istanbul (ORD->IST->JKT in biz) and now that US citizens can get Turkish Visas, I have booked the "Bosphorus Experience." ( https://bosphorus.turkishairlines.com/ ) THE alternative is that I save about $400USD and instead let THEM pay for a hotel, but this seems like a pretty cool experience. Would love to hear some reviews (so I can cancel if it turns out to be lame!) Has anyone done this during a long Tk layover?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:58 am

I've taken a regular sightseeing boat intended for the locals from the Karaköy terminal. I recall the fare was under $10 a few years ago, and the trip took 1.5 hrs. It was very pleasant and relaxing, with the open upper deck and enclosed lower deck. It was not crowded, so I could move around to get better view as we passed the sights on either side.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No. Price is NOT what determines whether you get a hotel.

Hotels are offered only when flight timings require that you MUST have a layover of at least a certain [relatively] long duration. Choosing to "miss" the first, or first several, flights that you could have caught, means you are not entitled to a free hotel - because a "short" connection that does not require a hotel stay was available. Regardless of the reason for not booking that faster connection - whether because it was more expensive, or whether it was because you actually wanted to stay for longer in Istanbul - that is your decision, and not something the airline has "forced" you into, so any hotel costs would be on you, not on the airline. If there actually are no other, earlier flights scheduled that you COULD have chosen, meaning that you HAVE to wait for several hours, then the airline is providing the hotel to make this otherwise unattractive connection more palatable. The hotel is offered to people who don't really want to stay over; if you instead show that you WANT to stay over, then the hotel is at your cost.

The hotel is offered by the airline in order to offset the unattractiveness of the ticket, given that it requires such a long layover. HOWEVER, if you build your own "long layover" into the ticket - whether because you want a cheaper ticket, or whether because you want to visit friends, or whether you actually want to see Istanbul, etc etc - then no hotel is offered, because you forewent the option of taking the shortest available connection.
So I understand TK will look at whether there are shorter connections options between the time you arrive and the time you depart. What about the reverse situation.

Say the flight you are connecting to at IST only has 1 departure a day. The flight you are connecting from has dozens of arrivals a day. Does TK check to make sure you took the latest possible arriving connection flight?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
So I understand TK will look at whether there are shorter connections options between the time you arrive and the time you depart. What about the reverse situation.

Say the flight you are connecting to at IST only has 1 departure a day. The flight you are connecting from has dozens of arrivals a day. Does TK check to make sure you took the latest possible arriving connection flight?
Yes, they do. You need to book the shortest possible connection to be eligible for it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Yes, they do. You need to book the shortest possible connection to be eligible for it.
Does this also apply to the free tours?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Does this also apply to the free tours?
I believe it is not necessary. From their website, it says:

Anyone who flies through İstanbul and has a waiting time at least 6 hours is welcome to Touristanbul.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:21 am

is TK helping with immigration?

Hi All

Have a 23 hours connection coming up in IST both inbound and outbound with TK. I am 100% sure I am eligible for the free hotel.
My problem is that I am a citizen from Cameroon and as such I do not know if immigration will let me go.
Anyone with experience with that ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.