Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 4:22 am
cjd

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Can't give you a definitive answer as only ever stayed here while diamond, but given the restaurant layout I would be surprised if they bothered to try to implement a continental-only offering.
Have mentioned this before, but not aware of any UK Hilton that nowadays insists Gold or Diamond members only take continental breakfast in the restaurant. Always given the full buffet option, including at Bankside. I'll probably be proved wrong one of these days! Wanting 750 points as whimsey21 mentioned is a new one to me. Never heard that one before.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
is the comp breakfast for gold only continental, or do they allow access to the buffet (free or an add on charge)? staying this week
As Gold you should get access to the full breakfast.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
Stayed here again recently, after a long gap.
The "which is the best Hilton in London?" question comes up from time to time on flyertalk. My personal preference is Bankside, if the price is ok (as an aside, price varies a lot here).
This time, upgraded from basic room to suite and was given early checkin after traveling by Tube from early arrival into LHR.
British Afternoon Tea - four types of sandwiches, scones, five or six cakes. There were some smoothies as well as juice. Lounge quiet during the tea, but rammed during evening service - there weren't any spare tables, so didn't stay long. A platter of shrimp and smoked salmon, and another platter of cold cuts, and a big cheese plate.
Had breakfast in the restaurant which is extremely complete: ordered (perfectly cooked) poached eggs; and the pastries and yoghurt are especially good here. There is both drip coffee, which I prefer, and an espresso-based coffee machine.
The pool downstairs was empty except for me and the gym likewise. Attendant working the gym. Changing room large and immaculately clean. Great showers.
My experience was that the staff are thoughtful and there is a lot of attention both to detail and to customer service. It helps that this hotel isn't particularly big - I checked online, apparently 292 rooms - and getting around usually involves passing the front desk, as the lounge and restaurants are both to the side of the front desk.
For diamonds, I think this place checks all the boxes.
Booked another much longer stay straight away afterwards.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: points traveller
some initial impressions:
- managed to get checked in at 730am
- "complimentary minibar drinks" for a gold is bottle of coke, diet coke, and a juice, completely empty fridge otherwise
- no power in the hallway to iron shirts
- GBP4 tray service, plus 12.5% 'tip' is a bit rich when you're already paying GBP15 for a club sandwich. ultimately my work account isn't that generous so i grabbed a tasty burrito from across the road.
- 4 supermarkets within eyesight is super handy for snacks
- gym's a bit small but pool is great, especially in london

looking forward to trying this hyped granola tomorrow, and a bit envious of not being a diamond and checking out the exec lounge.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
GBP4 tray service, plus 12.5% 'tip' is a bit rich when you're already paying GBP15 for a club sandwich. ultimately my work account isn't that generous so i grabbed a tasty burrito from across the road
Never sleep in a restaurant. Never eat in a hotel. Other than breakfast it is alway preferable to go for a tasty burrito from across the road!
Old May 9, 2017, 9:04 am

- "complimentary minibar drinks" for a gold is bottle of coke, diet coke, and a juice, completely empty fridge otherwise
Same for Diamonds if you don't get an upgraded room.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Anyone been here recently? Missing the place quite a lot since my London travel slowed down! Only other issue is their prices mid-week (and occupancy) have sky rocketed in the past 6 months as well... makes it harder to catch / justify a stay!
Old May 28, 2017, 9:23 am

Just checked out today having had 2 stays this week.

Totally back on top of their game following a dip a couple of months ago.

Back mid week.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
I'll post a full review with pictures later this week but just wanted to say I had an outstanding stay here on the weekend. I had booked the penthouse suite and it is now my favourite suite and overall experience I have had with Hilton since 2007 and over 100 hotels from the chain. (I can't say I have stayed much in the far east, where I know they can also be very, very good but for Europe...the Penthouse was brilliant and the staff were wonderful with a lovely hotel, location and food options.).

The room was booked with cash and I will be staying again in the suite for weekends and extended stays where possible, it was that nice. (and given London pricing for premium rooms I found it very good value for money, it is still expensive though).

Anyway, a teaser to say more to follow. My new favourite suite in London. ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:51 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Penthouse Suite Hilton London Bankside

Hilton London Bankside

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton London Bankside

2-8 Great Suffolk St London, GB SE1 0UG

Penthouse Suite Hilton London Bankside (56 Photos)

Hilton London Bankside

A lovely way to welcome guests to the Hilton London Bankside:

Hilton Bankside | Bankside Flower Displa

This is considered one of the best Hiltons in London and there are plenty of good pictures and reviews already on the main hotel thread in the Hilton forum. I won’t extensively review the hotel itself as that has been done there already. This review focusses on the Penthouse Suite, the top room in the hotel.

Floorplan (4th Floor where the Penthouse Suite is located):

Hilton Bankside | 4th Floor plan.jpg

I booked a room with cash during the Hilton Summer Sale on a weekend. The rate is decent for London but obviously still expensive. If you can find the room for a cash rate between £ 350 and £ 600 then I’d suggest it is excellent value for money for this city and the room you would get for that money. For this amount of cash I believe it represents the best Hilton chain hotel room in London (if not the UK). YMMV. I have posted a very large amount of pictures of the suite for you to help make up your own mind but I’ll definitely be back and book this room again with cash for weekends or any chance I get when in the city. Happy to share it with you, just don’t book it when I want it again please! :)

Please step inside: 

Hilton Bankside | Penthouse Suite.jpg

Check In

I was already staying in the city and so arrived quite early (around 11:00 AM) to check-in and leave our bags if the room wasn’t ready. I was told the room had been prepared the night before in case we did arrive early and so we could indeed have the room immediately. ^ I was offered to have someone come up and show me the room and features if I wished but I declined as I wanted to enjoy the experience on my own…

The staff on the front desk were always friendly and helpful and attentive whenever we happened to be in the area. They make a great impression for guests just arriving at the hotel.

I should say that I was greeted as a diamond member and told my benefits and the hotel explained to me in case I wasn’t familiar with the hotel. (I was and knew about the swimming pool, the exec lounge and restaurant and bars)…

Room

Ah, what a suite. I prefer an understated luxury and appearance and this suite was right on the mark for our tastes. Elegant and indeed high quality items everywhere but no ostentatious bling. ^ I also very much liked the layout of the room and proportions. The bathroom was huge with separate areas and with the walk in wardrobe between the bedroom and bathroom and of a decent size. The bedroom had a few areas to sleep and relax but wasn’t wasting space and the living room and kitchen / dining room area were well proportioned but not too big or cramped either. All windows were floor to ceiling and the entire North wall and East wall of the suite were windows. ^^ The suite has a private patio area that is very large and easily seats 4 people for relaxing or for eating in separate areas.

My only small point would be two things: there was no lock in the main bathroom for either privacy or for security in case of a break-in. (the only room with a lock was the guest WC!) and that there were no places to hang up towels directly beside the bath or the sinks so you ended up walking to the towel rail every time. (first world problems but the only small niggles of the place). The bathroom had 8 large 50 ml sized bottles of shower gel located around the bathroom and equally at least one of the other amenities at each location as well. The sink area was truly great as it had two over everything (glasses, tissues, soaps, facecloths, small rubbish bins, etc…

I did like the mix of traditional and new materials as well as the mix of artwork and design in the room, it won’t be to everyone’s taste but it hit the mark with us and likely those that are staying to be near the Tate Modern just a stone’s throw away.

The room was stunning. I think you will have enough of how it is laid out and the quality from the photos so will stop here. Any questions please ask and I’ll try to answer.

The pictures:

Entrance Area:

View into the Suite:

Hilton Bankside | View into Penthouse.jpHilton Bankside | View into Living Area.

View back to the Entrance:

Hilton Bankside | View back to door.jpg

Below pics show: 4 umbrellas at your disposal!, the outdoor patiod cushions stored in a closet off the main entrance and each room has a choice of full brightness (scene1) or dimmed (scene2) lighting and finally a nice wall unit with various books about London as well as some design items on display.

Hilton Bankside | 4 Brollies.jpgHilton Bankside | Entrance closet patioHilton Bankside | Penthouse Lighting Sch

Hilton Bankside | Entrance Cabinet.jpg

Bedroom:

View from entrance to bedroom towards South wall and where the rest area is (the walk in wardrobe is to the right and the bathroom after that):

Hilton Bankside | Bedroom from Entrance.

Hilton Bankside | Bedroom Sofa area.jpg

The bedroom TV is mounted on an artist easel that can be adjusted up or down!

Hilton Bankside | Bedroom TV on Artist e

There is a seating area at the entrance to the bedroom where people can apply make up, do their hair and such things as well as listen to the Bowers and Wilkins speaker setup using your phone as a source...

Hilton Bankside | Bedroom Vanity Area.jp

The bedside controls for lighting are very good, there are plug ins (2 each side for powering / charging devices) and the small reading light is automatic on/off when you pull it out:

Hilton Bankside | Bedside controls.jpg

Full floor to ceiling windows on the East wall of the bedroom (you definitely want to keep the backout curtains closed during the day if it is a hot sunny day!)

Hilton Bankside | Full wall floor to cei

Hilton Bankside | View back to Bedroom e

The Walk In Wardrobe Area:

Hilton Bankside | View into walkin wardr

Hilton Bankside | walk in wardrobe area.

Hilton Bankside | safe iron items.jpg

Hilton Bankside | some storage areas.jpg

A valet stand:

Hilton Bankside | Valet Stand.jpg

The Bathroom:

The view as you enter from the wardrobe area, that stunning bath on a raised marble pedestal;

Hilton Bankside | Lovely bath area.jpg

Hilton Bankside | Mirrored surfaces.jpg

Hilton Bankside | Sink area doubled ever

The Loo (a glass door separates it from the rest of the room):

Hilton Bankside | Separate Loo.jpg

The Shower (fast a room in itself):

Hilton Bankside | Massive Marbled Shower

View back from the back of the shower (where some towels can be hanged):

Hilton Bankside | View back from shower.

The lovely lighted shower amenity shelf:

Hilton Bankside | Shower Amenity niche.j

The towel Rail:

Hilton Bankside | heated towel rail.jpg

A quick image of the guest WC (off the main living area):

Hilton Bankside | Guest WC.jpg

I'll post the living room pics in a separate section (near the bottom of this review) or this will get too unwieldy for me to manage as I add and edit this one section...

Service

We had great service here during our stay and not just because of the suite. Plenty of times we asked for help or if we could get something in the lounge, reception, restaurant, etc…and were immediately helped with a smile and friendly manner. The lounge has great service as it is unofficial but ‘table’ service generally, which is great.

Dining

We only really had a few drinks in the exec lounge and breakfast in the main restaurant so can’t comment on other meals or the bar, etc…

The breakfast choice is still very good with a large variety of cold and hot items, with the famous granola and a summer mix as well now. ^ The cook to order eggs chef was friendly and made our eggs perfectly. (poached and fried). The coffee machines are not barista quality but are decent for a chain hotel and to tide you over until you get to a proper coffee shop. The staff were attentive and quick to help.

I’ll add here that the suite has a small kitchenette like area with a half sized under counter fridge with two bottles of fresh milk and plenty of water with other mini bar items as well but still plenty of space to put your own items in here if you wanted to and then make snacks or small meals here. There was no heating device (no microwave, stove or hob) as these are likely not allowed? But there was a few plates, cups and cutlery and such of decent quality (not fine bone china but reasonable quality). The Kitchen Aid Nespresso Machine worked well and we could froth our own milk with the extra milk frother. A kettle was there to make tea but the tea selection was not very good (quality not variety) as all rather cheap tea bags rather than loose tea or better quality tea selection.

There is a dishwasher but that is for the cleaning staff to do your dishes I guess as there was no tablets or scrub brushes to do ti yourself if you were so inclined. I imagine you could ask the housekeeping if you wanted some to just get through the day and various drinks, snacks and such.

The location of the hotel is very good with reasonable walking distance to most attractions including the Thames, Covent Garden and other areas but also convenient for the underground (Southwark station is the closest but you need to go through a bit of a convoluted path to get to it). Obviously taxis and a car park are available but you’d be mad to if you can walk or use the tube.

Overall

I very much loved this suite and will be back when time and money allow. It is not a suite they tend to upgrade to unless really full or you are lucky, however, for London, the price of the suite is quite reasonable and I’d suggest you’d be pressed to find the same value for money in the Hilton chain here or potentially with other chains in this city. (I haven’t obviously been to all of them and someone will prove me wrong, but it is my favourite suite and a very good hotel for both loyalty members as well as paying public patrons visiting this great city.

Living Room, Kitchen and Patio Pictures

Hilton Bankside | Main Living Room Area.

Hilton Bankside | View to Living Room.jpHilton Bankside | View to Kitchen DiningHilton Bankside | TV behind Artwork.jpgHilton Bankside | Proper Desk.jpgHilton Bankside | Living Room Wall.jpg

Kitchen / Dining Area:

Hilton Bankside | Kitchen Area.jpgHilton Bankside | Butler Sink.jpgHilton Bankside | Dishes.jpgHilton Bankside | Fridge Contents.jpgHilton Bankside | Miele Dishwasher.jpgHilton Bankside | Nice Appliances.jpg

The Private Patio Area;

Hilton Bankside | Sun in London.jpgHilton Bankside | Private Patio with relHilton Bankside | Patio view2.jpgHilton Bankside | Lovely Private Patio v

Hilton Bankside has a wildflower meadow and some bees they keep which gets used to make honey for guests ISTR:

Hilton Bankside | Wildflower meadow and

Artwork/Design elements in the Suite:

Hopefully of interest, some of the neat details in the suite:

Hilton Bankside | Artwork 1.jpgHilton Bankside | Artwork 2.jpgHilton Bankside | Artwork 3.jpgHilton Bankside | Artwork 4.jpgHilton Bankside | Artwork 5 also windowHilton Bankside | Design Elements 2.jpgHilton Bankside | Design elements.jpgHilton Bankside | lit shelves in bathroo

End of the pictorial review, hope you've enjoyed the review and pictures and you get a chance to try this great hotel and suite out yourself! Safe travels. ^

Penthouse Suite Hilton London Bankside

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Bankside?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:20 am
cjd

Thanks for the great comprehensive report BotB. Looks amazing on the photos. Will have to keep an eye out for that during the sales. Just checked for dates in November, but it's £591 per night, a bit pricey for my budget! Wonder if they ever upgrade to that suite? We have had some amazing upgrades to penthouse suites in Dubai, Phoenix and Las Vegas, always from standard rooms.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by cjd
Thanks for the great comprehensive report BotB. Looks amazing on the photos. Will have to keep an eye out for that during the sales. Just checked for dates in November, but it's £591 per night, a bit pricey for my budget! Wonder if they ever upgrade to that suite? We have had some amazing upgrades to penthouse suites in Dubai, Phoenix and Las Vegas, always from standard rooms.
Thanks, I don't know of anyone that has received it as an upgrade but I did see it for £ 350 this last Friday night...generally I think it is around £ 560 or more...

Sounds like you've had some great suites elsewhere though so you may get lucky here too...

Safe travels. ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hey Botb, thanks for taking the time to do this informative and very interesting review......it's an incredibly impressive suite and like yourself it's to my taste too........ there is a restaurant just opened around the corner called tibits, they have another in the west end , however my lady wants to go as it's apparently the best vegetarian buffet restaurant in London ........ the one in west end is amazing ( and I'm a meat eater! ) .
Think I may have to book this!.......great review!......wizla.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:08 am

Thanks wizla, ^ I think you and your lady would both love the suite. ^

Thanks for the tip about the restaurant, may have to try that one sometime, we are both meat eaters but we do occasionally like a meal without any so good to know. ^

There is also a Paul's bakery and another bakery, both with excellent breads and pastries as well as a few coffee chains also within 100m (costa and starbucks as well as Nero IIRC).

Hope you can find it at a good rate, as mentioned, Friday evening was the lowest price when I was looking.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:55 pm

No bin in the kitchen area though! I have stayed in the room a few times. It is great value. We have a few more nights booked in the penthouse suite this year.

I spend more nights at the Bankside than in my own bed at home- lovely hotel.

We have never been upgraded to it even when booked another suite and I know it has been empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.