Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
From what I've gathered, LCARs are basically non-existent in the area now. Most likely, they have been pulled to Enterprise (I see them there quite often).

Since it is winter time, the larger SUVs have also been pulled off the aisle for reservations.

SFO selection sounds similar to SJC, but I have found that the SJC morning greeter to be more friendly. He can usually help accommodate requests. Evening greeter is firm on not handing out free upgrades to big SUVs.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:12 am

downgrading myself, will i be charged more

I'm executive with National and renting from SFO...they have pickups much cheaper than aisle (yes, I understand supply and demand)...if I show up and just pick a car out of the aisle and not a pickup (essentially downgrading myself), anybody have any experience on if I will be charged more? Given that I might be driving this car through some snow depending on weather, I'd rather not have a rear-wheel drive truck. Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've done this before, but never with a truck (I've done MVAR, PCAR, IFAR/SFAR, even LCAR). That said, there are definitely 4WD trucks in the fleet, so see what they have in 4WD in your booked class before you assume you'll have better luck on the aisle.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I'm executive with National and renting from SFO...they have pickups much cheaper than aisle (yes, I understand supply and demand)...if I show up and just pick a car out of the aisle and not a pickup (essentially downgrading myself), anybody have any experience on if I will be charged more? Given that I might be driving this car through some snow depending on weather, I'd rather not have a rear-wheel drive truck. Thank you.
I'm assuming your going to Tahoe. Depending on the snow, you must carry chains (state law). During heavy snowing, chains can be mandatory, even if you have AWD and/or winter tires.

That being said, don't expect too many SUVs on the aisle as reservations have them pulled off especially during weekends. You definitely will not find a large SUV on the aisle as they have been all pulled off for reservations.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I drove to Tahoe every weekend for a few years in a 4wd. Although I carried chains, I was never asked if I had them, or put them on.

In practice, the R3 condition (chains on all vehicles) never happens. If it gets to that level, the roads are typically closed instead.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

I've got a similar question to Mrgolfer21. If I reserve an SUV at SFO, which I'm assuming is a "specialty vehicle", and there happens to be another car that I like in the aisles, what stops me from cancelling the more expensive SUV booking and rebooking a cheaper fullsize for the aisle?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I've got a similar question to Mrgolfer21. If I reserve an SUV at SFO, which I'm assuming is a "specialty vehicle", and there happens to be another car that I like in the aisles, what stops me from cancelling the more expensive SUV booking and rebooking a cheaper fullsize for the aisle?
Nothing... and in practice, I usually just have the booth downgrade and adjust the rate for me instead of cancelling/rebooking or holding multiple reservations (though my corp rate is fixed regardless of location, so I don't have to worry about an ICAR being more expensive at pickup than a PCAR/LCAR at time of booking). That said, the previous poster's situation was that the Pickup was CHEAPER than an aisle reservation, which which doesn't happen often but on occasion.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Nothing... and in practice, I usually just have the booth downgrade and adjust the rate for me instead of cancelling/rebooking or holding multiple reservations (though my corp rate is fixed regardless of location, so I don't have to worry about an ICAR being more expensive at pickup than a PCAR/LCAR at time of booking). That said, the previous poster's situation was that the Pickup was CHEAPER than an aisle reservation, which which doesn't happen often but on occasion.
Great to know and less hassle. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kxc262
From what I've gathered, LCARs are basically non-existent in the area now. Most likely, they have been pulled to Enterprise (I see them there quite often).
Well crap. So when I show up with an LCAR reservation as an EE, is this one of the locations that is pretty good about pulling from Enterprise or Alamo?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Well crap. So when I show up with an LCAR reservation as an EE, is this one of the locations that is pretty good about pulling from Enterprise or Alamo?
Yes you will be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, Hyatt Platinum
January 2nd
ES:
Pick your color Impala
Pick your color 300 (Took a 300c and later swapped at LAX)
1x Camaro Convertible
1x Ford Flex
1x Fusion SE
Didn't look too closet at EA, but at first glance it was rather boring.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:24 pm

Drove 3 cars over the last two weeks. Everyone was really nice, including the greeter.

I had booked a standard SUV for 2 weeks. When we arrived with 2 kids and LOTS of luggage, they said "you need a big car for all that luggage" and got us a Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited. Really nice car. Unfortunately, the low tire pressure indicator came on the next day, as I passed SFO, so I pulled in and exchanged it for another Ford Explorer Limited, although 2wd. They didn't have any large 4x4/awd on Tue morning.

I swapped the second car for a GMC Acadia awd later in the week, since we were going to Tahoe.

On all three occasions, the aisles were full of different cars, including some smaller 4x4 SUVs and minivans. Didn't really pay attention, since we needed something bigger and 4wd.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Did a one way return on Feb 1 @ 7:00pm

Another than pick your color Sonata, Altima, or the one Fusion, some cars available with upgrade fee included a QX50, XTS and a 3-Series.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ThatBri
Did a one way return on Feb 1 @ 7:00pm

Another than pick your color Sonata, Altima, or the one Fusion, some cars available with upgrade fee included a QX50, XTS and a 3-Series.
Did you happen to notice the trim level on the 3-Series?

I got an XTS off PS in ATL a couple months ago. Was pretty nice, though I didn't care for the plastic-y feel of the dashboard...
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC 50K, National Exec, Hertz Pres. Circle, HH Gold, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Did you happen to notice the trim level on the 3-Series?

I got an XTS off PS in ATL a couple months ago. Was pretty nice, though I didn't care for the plastic-y feel of the dashboard...
It was a 328i. Not sure what options were on it.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThatBri
It was a 328i. Not sure what options were on it.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.