Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Hi All,
We're flying in to SFO on 5th of March (Sunday), after short city tour, we will be driving down Highway 1 to LA (our first time in US). I've already registered as an Emerald Club member so I can potentially book midsize for EA access. I've read the forum for a few days and what I gather is that SFO doesn't have a good selection in EA, usually. The thing is that I'd really like to rent something more fun than Altima or a Buick with poor acceleration, but then again, budget is a bit limited. Midsize car goes for £99 at the moment, premium is £126 - I understand I still get access to EA if I don't find premium selection satisfying? If there is any chance of getting something sporty, would it be better by booking premium to pay less for upgrade? How would you rate a Sunday at beggining of March, is it a bad day to pick a car from EA?

I understand it all depends and I can possibly negotiate with the attendant without problems, but I would just appreciate some comments beforehand - should I gamble with midsize or go for premium (while hoping to get something sporty, not really into SUVs). Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aleksandr Belous
Hi All,
We're flying in to SFO on 5th of March (Sunday), after short city tour, we will be driving down Highway 1 to LA (our first time in US). I've already registered as an Emerald Club member so I can potentially book midsize for EA access. I've read the forum for a few days and what I gather is that SFO doesn't have a good selection in EA, usually. The thing is that I'd really like to rent something more fun than Altima or a Buick with poor acceleration, but then again, budget is a bit limited. Midsize car goes for £99 at the moment, premium is £126 - I understand I still get access to EA if I don't find premium selection satisfying? If there is any chance of getting something sporty, would it be better by booking premium to pay less for upgrade? How would you rate a Sunday at beggining of March, is it a bad day to pick a car from EA?

I understand it all depends and I can possibly negotiate with the attendant without problems, but I would just appreciate some comments beforehand - should I gamble with midsize or go for premium (while hoping to get something sporty, not really into SUVs). Thanks!
At least at LGA and JFK where i normally rent from I have never seen anything "Sporty" on the EA aisle. From the EA aisle I have seen a Ford Fusion on it and if you can find a titanium model I find it "Sporty" enough for my taste considering you're an EA member.

Why not book a full size instead of premium? Full size you can get a Dodge Charger ranging from the SXT, SXT with AWD, and the SRT with the HEMI inside. Personally I like the car but with no backup camera I usually avoid those. They are classified at FCAR at National/ Enterprise no matter which model you get.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:30 am

Hi, Closingracer,

Thanks for the feedback. Dodge Charger sounds nice and maybe exactly what I'm looking for. I've seen some list what different sizes mean for national, but didn't realize that Charger is on full size list. Care to link me the cars avaialable, if possible? Maybe the list I found is old..

Ford Fusion is what Ford Mondeo in Europe (as I see from pictures Googled), so I'm not interested in that
Full size seems a safe bet, since it's only £5 more than midsize for three days.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:02 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Closingracer

Why not book a full size instead of premium? Full size you can get a Dodge Charger ranging from the SXT, SXT with AWD, and the SRT with the HEMI inside. Personally I like the car but with no backup camera I usually avoid those. They are classified at FCAR at National/ Enterprise no matter which model you get.
My SFO-specific feedback is that I think I'd keep my expectations low for the Emerald Aisle...when I was there in March it was mostly boring sedans (Toyota Camry, Chrysler 200). I would most certainly recommend you book the Premium given the small cost difference. And if you go back over the past many pages of this thread, you'll see most people report the selection to be underwhelming.

As to Closingracer's point, no, there won't be an SRT Charger (Hellcat) on the Emerald Aisle...and there's a difference between that and the Charger RT w/Hemi V8, which exists in the fleet but in very limited numbers. At best, you'd get a V6-equipped RWD Charger (you won't want or need All Wheel Drive, and the California fleet does not have those anyways), which is "sporty" in name only. It drives like a boat.

That said, I would book a Premium. It would be more likely that you could negotiate your way into a nicer vehicle that way and there are plenty of good choices in that class...the Chrysler 300(and 300C), Nissan Maxima SV, etc. Sometimes the station will throw Volvos and Infinitis into the Premium mix too, even though they are technically considered full size or standard "elite" models.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:57 am

Thanks! I booked premium for now, you're right, the price difference isn't much and if it gives me a good change to get something bigger and powerful, then I'm glad to pay a bit more.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
My SFO-specific feedback is that I think I'd keep my expectations low for the Emerald Aisle...when I was there in March it was mostly boring sedans (Toyota Camry, Chrysler 200). I would most certainly recommend you book the Premium given the small cost difference. And if you go back over the past many pages of this thread, you'll see most people report the selection to be underwhelming.

As to Closingracer's point, no, there won't be an SRT Charger (Hellcat) on the Emerald Aisle...and there's a difference between that and the Charger RT w/Hemi V8, which exists in the fleet but in very limited numbers. At best, you'd get a V6-equipped RWD Charger (you won't want or need All Wheel Drive, and the California fleet does not have those anyways), which is "sporty" in name only. It drives like a boat.

That said, I would book a Premium. It would be more likely that you could negotiate your way into a nicer vehicle that way and there are plenty of good choices in that class...the Chrysler 300(and 300C), Nissan Maxima SV, etc. Sometimes the station will throw Volvos and Infinitis into the Premium mix too, even though they are technically considered full size or standard "elite" models.
I meant the RT
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Thanks! I booked premium for now, you're right, the price difference isn't much and if it gives me a good change to get something bigger and powerful, then I'm glad to pay a bit more.
If you're price sensitive and want a nice car, make multiple reservations.

You cannot apply the coupons ($xx of a weekly, etc.) within 24h of pickup.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:10 pm

Going to be arriving SFO in a few hours hopefully they got a nice selection of cars in the EA. When I was in LAX in October they had a handful of maxima and chargers
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
If you're price sensitive and want a nice car, make multiple reservations.

You cannot apply the coupons ($xx of a weekly, etc.) within 24h of pickup.
Hi, do you mean multiple reservations at different providers? Or inaddition to my National premium booking, I should also book mid size/full size as well?
What happens if I get to the counter with multiple reservations, will there be any consequences? I've read that people do that, but I don't really understand when do they cancel all the bookings - are they checking out EA first, seeing that there's nothing good, then cancelling mid size and going to counter to get their premium booking? Or how does it work?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:47 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Hi, do you mean multiple reservations at different providers? Or inaddition to my National premium booking, I should also book mid size/full size as well?
What happens if I get to the counter with multiple reservations, will there be any consequences? I've read that people do that, but I don't really understand when do they cancel all the bookings - are they checking out EA first, seeing that there's nothing good, then cancelling mid size and going to counter to get their premium booking? Or how does it work?

Thanks!
Do not make multiple reservations with National if you are using the counter. That will only lead to confusion for the agent. That is only for those using Emerald Aisle/Executive Selection, in case someone needs a certain class and it's not available as an option in EA or ES.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:31 pm

Anyone been to SFO recently? Booking a car for March and curious to see if their selection has changed at all. (I have executive status)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:57 am

Must be a really busy week, both EA and ES were nearly empty tonight at 10 pm. Nothing too exciting, saw a Dodge Charger, a Chrysler 300, a small Buick SUV, and the regular couple of Sonatas, Camrys, Corollas and Altimas. I peeked in the next row that's unmarked and found a BMW X3 with the keys inside. Asked the booth attendant and was told I could take it as part of that promo that's going on until May 31st! A pretty good find, car was built last month and had 1300 miles (only 1 previous renter who drove it one way from Arizona to SFO). Disappointed that it doesn't have a backup camera though for a new 2017 vehicle though.

Last edited by berkeleysquirrel; Apr 10, 2017 at 2:02 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by berkeleysquirrel
Must be a really busy week, both EA and ES were nearly empty tonight at 10 pm. Nothing too exciting, saw a Dodge Charger, a Chrysler 300, a small Buick SUV, and the regular couple of Sonatas, Camrys, Corollas and Altimas. I peeked in the next row that's unmarked and found a BMW X3 with the keys inside. Asked the booth attendant and was told I could take it as part of that promo that's going on until May 31st! A pretty good find, car was built last month and had 1300 miles (only 1 previous renter who drove it one way from Arizona to SFO). Disappointed that it doesn't have a backup camera though for a new 2017 vehicle though.
They aren't forced to do it until next year's model year I believe
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:15 am

4/27 2am

Late night arrival due to delays. ES were mostly empty with a camaro, a ram SUV, couple old town & county, Malibu, etc. Asked attendant regarding X3 promotion and got a grey X3 with 150 mies on it. Not a bad car for a short trip to Napa.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Arrived Monday 5/8.... walk down the exec aisle. Huge selection of the usual. Then I see a BMW 430 convertible parked. I actually asked the attendant if that's supposed to be there... he goes -- take it man!

No issues leaving the lot at checkout. What a sweet car. I've never seen one in exec aisle anywhere before. Sad I have to return it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.