Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ms18294
Noah, Thanks for the tip. So you're basically saying to make two reservations: One Aisle reservation, and one specifically for a Minivan. Then I'm covered either way. Is the cancellation of the unused option something I can do with the on-site attendant in the lot? Or does this require phone calls, etc.?
I would either call or cancel via the internet on your smartphone before you approach the checkout booth.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by peteropny
I would either call or cancel via the internet on your smartphone before you approach the checkout booth.
+1 -- either use the app (easiest/fastest) or via phone. You want to cancel it so the agent doesn't accidentally find your minivan reservation and check you out using that one.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:51 am

Hi all,

Just found this forum as I have been looking to decide whether to get a car of the EA when I arrive in SFO or whether to book a full size. On corporate rate difference isn't massive and I was really hoping to get something outrageously American being European (dodge charger comes to mind).

Want to avoid nothing good being on the EA when arriving late afternoon. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sanoxz
Hi all,

Just found this forum as I have been looking to decide whether to get a car of the EA when I arrive in SFO or whether to book a full size. On corporate rate difference isn't massive and I was really hoping to get something outrageously American being European (dodge charger comes to mind).

Want to avoid nothing good being on the EA when arriving late afternoon. Any thoughts?
Welcome to FT!

While I'm sure the selection varies a bit based on time and day but on Monday mid-mornings I find that there are usually an abundance of Chargers. I'm sure others can chime in on strategies such as making two reservations and canceling the one you don't use before approaching the booth but my general observation is that you would be ok and if you didn't find what you're looking for sometimes asking will also yield good results. In my experience with national and at a few different locations is that the employees usually aim to help out especially if you explain your excitement of renting an American car!

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you want something "outrageously American", I would ask about getting a Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro. Fleet Chargers aren't really outrageously anything other than dull and underspeced. I've seen all three on ES frequently, sometimes in convertible form, at SFO. I've also seen the Charger on ES as well, but it probably wouldn't be completely unlikely to find it on EA.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up booking Fullsize. I'll have a look what I end up with and ask if I want something else! I'll probably end up renting for about 4 months, so I'll have an opportunity to switch cars around.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Hi all,

I'm in the same boat, our corporate rates are about the same for mid and full size cars. I usually book a full size and choose what I want in the aisle at SFO.

Last edited by flyerbjorn; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:14 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roadman3313
The fee applies for those who use the Airtrain. It was part of the agreement with the airport to help pay for the Consolidated Facility/Airtrain to/from the airport.

The fee is waived for local renters (presumably who do not use the Airtrain). Show your ID at Customer Service and they will remove the $20 fee and associated taxes for the total cost being $20 lower. Same process at Enterprise.
That $20 fee is also not charged for one way rentals ending at SFO. I've done this a number of times.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm in the same boat, our corporate rates are about the same for mid and full size cars. I usually book a full size and choose what I want in the aisle at SFO.
Do you get an aisle choice with full size? I thought mid size rentals got you the aisle and full size just reserved you a car?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:33 am

Do you get an aisle choice with full size? I thought mid size rentals got you the aisle and full size just reserved you a car?
You can reserve a fullsize and still choose from the Aisle if you want. Done it multiple times. For SFO, the Emerald Member rate is almost the same anyway. $31.52 for a midsize and $31.73 for a fullsize.

With our corporate rates, the difference is usually $1-4/day, so I just book a fullsize and forget about it.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
9:30am on a Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

National at SFO was a zoo. They were basically emptying cars off the EA and ES as fast as they could drive them in. Tons of minivans, and when I say tons, I'd guess that there were 30 between EA and ES and given the absence of most other vehicles, people were either taking them, or waiting until new cars were brought in (which admittedly was happening quickly). Beyond the minivans I saw
- Maxima
- Altima
- Camry
- Chrysler 200
- Chrysler 300
- Jeep Cherokee
- Jeep Compass
- Nissan Rogue
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Ford Taurus
- Chevy Malibu
- Hyundai Sonata
- VW Jetta

I missed out on the Cherokee and the Pathfinder by moments, and eventually ended up in a 300.

As a side note, I saw an area with a few minivans and SUVS that were clearly Burning Man returns, covered in Playa dust and "$225 Detailing" written on the windows.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noah
9:30am on a Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

National at SFO was a zoo. They were basically emptying cars off the EA and ES as fast as they could drive them in. Tons of minivans, and when I say tons, I'd guess that there were 30 between EA and ES and given the absence of most other vehicles, people were either taking them, or waiting until new cars were brought in (which admittedly was happening quickly). Beyond the minivans I saw
- Maxima
- Altima
- Camry
- Chrysler 200
- Chrysler 300
- Jeep Cherokee
- Jeep Compass
- Nissan Rogue
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Ford Taurus
- Chevy Malibu
- Hyundai Sonata
- VW Jetta

I missed out on the Cherokee and the Pathfinder by moments, and eventually ended up in a 300.

As a side note, I saw an area with a few minivans and SUVS that were clearly Burning Man returns, covered in Playa dust and "$225 Detailing" written on the windows.
+1 it was a mess! I was there at the same time. I ended up in a Charger (that I had to box a few people out to get to!). They couldn't stock the cars fast enough and it was really bad do to all the people and the the 2-way traffic down the aisle.

Did you also happen to notice all the return cars stacked in the mid-size (or next aisle over)? I've never seen so many cars at that location at once.

(as a side a bunch of co-workers rent from Hertz and they said it was chaos and a wait for cars down there too).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If anyone can report on ER-PREM over the next month or so, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:25 pm

Anything recent, especially for ER-PREM? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Anything recent, especially for ER-PREM? Thanks!
I took a look last week
- Maxima x3
- Caddy (not sure which one)
- 2014 Genesis
- Buick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.