Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
I have an upcoming 3 day reservation the Monday after Memorial Day weekend going down to LAX. Is it worth an extra $50 to rent out of SFO instead of one of the city locations in the hopes of trying to score a better vehicle?

From the sound of things it looks like most of the more desirable cars will already be out?
Old May 21, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zhaofa90
I have an upcoming 3 day reservation the Monday after Memorial Day weekend going down to LAX. Is it worth an extra $50 to rent out of SFO instead of one of the city locations in the hopes of trying to score a better vehicle?

From the sound of things it looks like most of the more desirable cars will already be out?
This is a tricky one.
1. The SF locations are not that great. O'Farrell is OK. Bush St was a zoo last time I went there and I got the worst car I've ever rented with National. Avoid that one.
2. Whenever I get a really nice upgrade at SFO, they always ask if I'm returning at SFO.

All up, I'd go SFO. Pick something nice from the aisle and enjoy your road trip to LA
Old May 23, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
This is a tricky one.
1. The SF locations are not that great. O'Farrell is OK. Bush St was a zoo last time I went there and I got the worst car I've ever rented with National. Avoid that one.
2. Whenever I get a really nice upgrade at SFO, they always ask if I'm returning at SFO.

All up, I'd go SFO. Pick something nice from the aisle and enjoy your road trip to LA
Appreciate the advice. Will likely end up doing that and hoping for some early weekend returns.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:22 pm

Headed to SFO soon

3 car seats, 2 adults, multiple bags - arriving around noon on a Saturday.

Take my chances on the Emerald Aisle or reserve a standard SUV (and hope for an upgrade) to something larger?

There's a fair price difference (2 week trip) between the two, but I don't want to get stuck waiting 2-3 hours for a decent sized vehicle.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Arrived around 8pm on Tuesday. ES was FILLED with minivans, a pickup truck, a Malibu, some weird transport truck cubish kind of vehicle (kinda like a small delivery truck), and a Jeep 4x4. Ended up taking the Jeep. Terrible acceleration and kept getting a warning that the left turn signal light was out (only has 3k miles on it). Only positive was that it had active Sat radio. Luckily it was only a 2 day keep, not my normal M-F rental at SFO.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
8am

Only saw exec. Saw a Optima, Minivan, same old full size sedans. Grabbed a Black Camero hard top.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eddiet1

Take my chances on the Emerald Aisle or reserve a standard SUV (and hope for an upgrade) to something larger?

There's a fair price difference (2 week trip) between the two, but I don't want to get stuck waiting 2-3 hours for a decent sized vehicle.
The aisle often has minivans, if that's what you're after. If not, I'd ask nicely.

When we arrived with 2 adults, 2 car seats and another 5 large bags, the greeter said "you need a big one to fit all that" and got us a Ford Explorer. That was on a Standard SUV reservation though. I needed a 4x4, since we were going to Tahoe.

Are you returning at SFO? Whenever I get an upgrade at SFO, they usually ask if I'm returning, presumably to avoid losing a nice vehicle.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The aisle often has minivans, if that's what you're after. If not, I'd ask nicely.

When we arrived with 2 adults, 2 car seats and another 5 large bags, the greeter said "you need a big one to fit all that" and got us a Ford Explorer. That was on a Standard SUV reservation though. I needed a 4x4, since we were going to Tahoe.

Are you returning at SFO? Whenever I get an upgrade at SFO, they usually ask if I'm returning, presumably to avoid losing a nice vehicle.
Nope, we're doing one-way, headed over to the Tahoe area (summer, not winter) but will be dropping off in Sacramento. I shouldn't need 4x4 just for highway driving, even in the Tahoe area, right?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:48 pm

Nope, we're doing one-way, headed over to the Tahoe area (summer, not winter) but will be dropping off in Sacramento. I shouldn't need 4x4 just for highway driving, even in the Tahoe area, right?
No, you're fine with any car. 4x4 is practical for driving in snow conditions, particularly up steep driveways to cabins. And for not putting on chains at checkpoints.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta and Hilton Diamond
Can anyone comment on what kind of cars SFO has had in the Premier Selection lately? I'm looking to upgrade a rental for vacation involving a drive down the PCH. Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:46 am

Picked up tonight, Friday night around 10pm from SFO. I was looking for a large comfortable car for to drive around the Bay Area with family this weekend, so I had booked an SUV. I'm traveling for business and SUV is only slightly more expensive on my corporate rate. There was a GMC Terrain (premium crossover) in the Executive aisle, so I grabbed that and headed for the exit. The exit turned into a disappointment, when I requested a rate change back to midsize.

Me: Hi, I booked an SUV, but found this in the executive aisle. Please change my rate from SUV to midsize.
Agent: No problem. Oh wait, the system says midsize/fullsize is the same price. (it's not, it's cheaper and always the same) What does your company require you to book? Midsize or fullsize? (I can book whatever I want/need, so this doesn't matter). You booked a standard SUV, but I'll give you this one as a "free upgrade".

I had an additional driver on the reservation who wasn't with me. Creating a new reservation would have been a pain, so I just left.

Well, that sucks. If SFO doesn't let me downgrade the rate at the exit, I'm not going to book more expensive cars anymore. Or maybe I need to make two reservations, which is also a pain. I'm always on business and expensing my rentals at SFO, but I don't like to pay more than I have to.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:23 pm

Advantage to Full size reservation for Premier?

I have emerald Executive level status thanks to Amex Plat., and have a question regarding Premier Selection. I currently have a mid-size (Executive Aisle) reservation, but am hoping to pick something off the premier selection for a fancy romantic weekend. I know I'll pay extra--but does my reservation rate or status impact the additional cost? I could pay $2/day more to have a FCAR reservation. Will that make any difference? Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, UK Silver, AA Silver

I had seen a lot of SUVs in the aisle last time when I was in SFO including SantaFe, Cherokee etc. I will bet on the aisle.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
7/9 @ 2:30am

Exec -
Lots of challengers, 1x 300C, new impalas, some Altimas.

Emerald -
200s, Altimas.

I think there were a total of 20 cars overall. Very empty.

Saw a porsche 911 the other day at Alamo.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Hi, Trying to find out how the toll system works in the San Francisco area. Is the area a $3.95/RENTAL day or $3.95/USAGE day for the electronic tolling? Makes a difference as I will be there for two weeks, plan to hit Monterey, Jelly Belly, Point Reyes/Napa and back to SFO. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.