MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:08 am

If you thought he was unhelpful why would you expect him to know what MBNA offers?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mbna-rewards-travel-platinum-plus-mc-1219168/

This card does exist.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
If you thought he was unhelpful why would you expect him to know what MBNA offers?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mbna-...us-mc-1219168/

This card does exist.
I stand corrected.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: *void
Milesbuzz: Canada

I'm often/easily confused with the MBNA Reward Platinum Plus, and the MBNA Reward Travel Platinum Plus. The former earns 1%, I know cuz that's the card that was given to me when MBNA cancelled their affiliation with Choice hotels, and auto-converted it (but not to the Travel Platinum Plus). I called once to ask if I could get it converted to the no-fee RWE/RTP, but no dice. So, I shelved my card.

For those who plan to get the RTP, does it offer travel insurances when you use it to purchase flights/rental cars, etc.? Just wondering.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:23 pm

Airmiles not so bad

So I've been sitting on a chunk of Airmiles for the last few years. These were slowly collected passively without any attention. That is, I've got the card and am spending here so may as well collect. I made a redemption for a few hundred dollars of Reitmans cards back when they had them and before I knew better.

And for awhile since I've known better, I thought Airmiles were good for some gift cards at The Keg.

But now I'm pretty happy with my accumulation and a recent redemption. So, I thought I'd share.

Over the last few months I've collected just under 2,000 Airmiles for continuing to do the things I do but with a bit more care.

150 Airmiles for purchasing a $100 Sobeys gift card
100 Airmiles for purchasing a $100 Sobeys gift card
100 Airmiles for a $100 Metro purchase (gift cards excluded of course)
100 Airmiles for a $50 Pharma Plus purchase combined with a 40 Airmiles for $40 on skin care products (I am a girl)

It takes a few extra minutes scanning the flyers and a bit of planning. And I've really cut down on my Costco shopping. I still buy most things on sale and know how much they should cost with a good sale. I do sometimes get caught up in it and buy a few too many things than I can reasonably use. But I do this with everything in life. And so do most of you, I suspect. And admittedly, I do have several hundred dollars of Sobeys gift cards now. But I'll spend them wisely.

Anyway, I just redeemed some Airmiles for a car rental in the US. Thanks to JJJs recommendation way back when.

2,275 Airmiles for a 10 day car rental. The cheapest price I could find was $521.97 USD. That's about $680 CDN before the spread.

After the $11.30 'award booking fee' (!?! yes I know) and the $72.54 USD taxes and fees, I'm saving about $575 Canadian. That's a 25 cents value per Airmile.

Since I've started paying attention, I'm buying these Airmiles at 1 to almost 3 per $1 spend. That's a crazy 25% return on my effort. Which isn't much.

Notes: Maybe my math is wrong! The excellent bonus days are only a couple a month at any store. My attention span is short. And I probably have too much Aveeno and Herbal Essences on my shelves.

I checked with my car insurance and I can rent in the US with my personal coverage. Up to a $50,000 car. That's probably CDN but I didn't ask.

There were cheaper car rentals in terms of Airmiles redemption and taxes and fees for the 10 days, but we're a family of five. And I felt like a bit of a splurge with that extra legroom. Besides I'm flush with Airmiles.

So, I've been sitting on the Amex Airmiles app. I still have my eye on some good Airmiles flight redemptions and 2,000 Airmiles will top up my account. FYF. Certainly I will not be using it past any minimum spend requirements.

As always, sorry if this post is in the wrong spot.

NJD
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
I checked with my car insurance and I can rent in the US with my personal coverage.
I guess that coverage doesn't include CDW. That's a downside of redeeming miles for car rental. You have to either go without CDW, or pay for it, whereas CDW is included if you pay in full with a credit card.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by echino
I guess that coverage doesn't include CDW. That's a downside of redeeming miles for car rental. You have to either go without CDW, or pay for it, whereas CDW is included if you pay in full with a credit card.
I have roadside plus with ICBC, which costs like 60 dollars a year and includes a collision waiver and, more importantly, extends your personal 3rd party liability to when you're using a rental car. Basic insurance and no credit card includes this, so for 60 dollars it was definitely worth it. So that'd also cover you if you redeem miles and it's much cheaper than paying for it using the car rental business.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

Just a heads up that the redemption changes on the Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard aren't the only changes! Starting soon new sign ups will have a 40,000 Mile Bonus when hitting $1,000 in spend in three months and an increased annual fee of $150.

The Platinum also goes up to a 10,000 bonus with $500 spend in 3 months.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I have roadside plus with ICBC, which costs like 60 dollars a year and includes a collision waiver and, more importantly, extends your personal 3rd party liability to when you're using a rental car. Basic insurance and no credit card includes this, so for 60 dollars it was definitely worth it. So that'd also cover you if you redeem miles and it's much cheaper than paying for it using the car rental business.
I was just going to post this - ICBC and most of the private insurers in BC offer the exact same coverage for rental vehicles. And you don't affect your personal coverage if you make a claim either, as it's considered a separate policy, just like it would be if you rented a car and paid separately for it. And I'd hazard a guess that the coverage is much better and the claims process much less painful than with the credit card coverage - but that remains to be seen...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:09 pm

Anyway, I just redeemed some Airmiles for a car rental in the US. Thanks to JJJs recommendation way back when.

2,275 Airmiles for a 10 day car rental. The cheapest price I could find was $521.97 USD. That's about $680 CDN before the spread.

After the $11.30 'award booking fee' (!?! yes I know) and the $72.54 USD taxes and fees, I'm saving about $575 Canadian. That's a 25 cents value per Airmile.
That's better than the gift cards, that's for sure! The only downside to booking something like this is that it is not cancellable. But, if you can still book a couple of days prior to leaving, then it's a good deal. In the end, most of us wouldn't cry to lose that many AirMiles because they're pretty much good for nuthin anyway.

I still have a few $100 Best Western Gift cards that I redeemed a couple of years ago before they kiboshed the gift card redemptions. Horrible value, but they will pay for one night in a NYC hotel for me (and incidentally, that's a trip I've already cancelled TWICE - but behold - I still have these gift cards and they don't expire! YAY!).

I've got about 3000 I need to spend soon, and I have no idea on what...I keep thinking I may want to fly my family to the Yukon soon, so you never know!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by superdawg
Just a heads up that the redemption changes on the Capital One Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard aren't the only changes! Starting soon new sign ups will have a 40,000 Mile Bonus when hitting $1,000 in spend in three months and an increased annual fee of $150.

The Platinum also goes up to a 10,000 bonus with $500 spend in 3 months.
But...those of us that are "grandfathered" will still pay the AF of $120 with the annual 10,000 point bonus, correct?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:19 pm

Since I've started paying attention, I'm buying these Airmiles at 1 to almost 3 per $1 spend. That's a crazy 25% return on my effort. Which isn't much.

NJD
OK so I'm not the only one who has seen huge value in the car rental redemptions. I find most flights with Air Miles only give .11 to .15 in value and when I looked at a car rental once it was much higher than that and thought something was wrong!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:21 pm

Aspire cardholders keep the annual bonus, but no guarantee you'll keep the same annual fee.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
But...those of us that are "grandfathered" will still pay the AF of $120 with the annual 10,000 point bonus, correct?
Edited as it was answered above!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Is it correct in assuming that the 10% BA discount is not stackable with AARP (if it comes back) because each requires you to go through separate portals?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Is it correct in assuming that the 10% BA discount is not stackable with AARP (if it comes back) because each requires you to go through separate portals?
incorrect. the 10% discount is just a promo code, it can be input on the AARP portal too AFAIK. Doesn't require a portal. (CARDOFFERU)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.