MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by loun80
I've been redeeming Aeroplan rewards for years and I just read that you can book a stopover without additional points. I tried to make some 'test bookings' on the Aeroplan website and it seems like this free stopover only works for certain cities. Does anyone know what criteria the cities have to be? I read the article here: http://cardmecanada.com/free-areoplan-award-stopover/
You can actually have up to 3 stops if you want. However they will have to be under a certain milage
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
You can actually have up to 3 stops if you want. However they will have to be under a certain milage
Do you mean 3 stopovers including the destination city? or 3 stopovers plus the destination city? How would we be able to book this online?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:56 pm

Do you mean 3 stopovers including the destination city? or 3 stopovers plus the destination city? How would we be able to book this online?
up to 2 stops + point of turn around. You would have to call in to book this you cannot book it online.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:40 am

I've been redeeming Aeroplan rewards for years and I just read that you can book a stopover without additional points. I tried to make some 'test bookings' on the Aeroplan website and it seems like this free stopover only works for certain cities. Does anyone know what criteria the cities have to be? I read the article here: http://cardmecanada.com/free-areoplan-award-stopover/
This topic should be moved to a Aeroplan/Air Canada forum.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
This topic should be moved to a Aeroplan/Air Canada forum.
Then alert the moderator don't add another post!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by tng11
I am doing a liveaboard there. Not exactly liking the reviews about the apparent lack of maintenance on the boat - but it seems to be the only option to get in multiple dives there.
I've read in Undercurrent that Thai boats (and probably others in SE Asia) are having major problems with getting genuine parts thank to counterfeits from you-know-where...
I hang out on scubaboard

We are doing the Bilikiki (Solomons) after 3 days in Brisbane followed by a week at Uepi.

Managed to do my first Avios booking via Amex MR points for SYD-BNE return. Got 3 J on the inbound too!!! Nice to have a shower and food after 22hrs on AC33. Only 2J coming back but I'm hoping some sweet talk will get me a J ticket so we can all chill.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:08 am

3J on AC33; now your dreaming. I have seen 4J; but this was once in an entire calendar year and most likely was a mistake.

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I've read in Undercurrent that Thai boats (and probably others in SE Asia) are having major problems with getting genuine parts thank to counterfeits from you-know-where...
I hang out on scubaboard

We are doing the Bilikiki (Solomons) after 3 days in Brisbane followed by a week at Uepi.

Managed to do my first Avios booking via Amex MR points for SYD-BNE return. Got 3 J on the inbound too!!! Nice to have a shower and food after 22hrs on AC33. Only 2J coming back but I'm hoping some sweet talk will get me a J ticket so we can all chill.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I hang out on scubaboard

Lucky! Pondering what I can do while in the South Pacific in Dec 2015/Jan 2016. Bagged myself QF F LAX-MEL then AKL-SIN-JFK in SQ Suites for a good 4 weeks. Most of the good stuff seems to fill up like 2 years in advance.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by hearna
3J on AC33; now your dreaming. I have seen 4J; but this was once in an entire calendar year and most likely was a mistake.
You misread, 3J for the SYD-BNE return short haul leg using Avios for Qantas . As for AC33/34, it's 1J, wife's seat, happy wife, happy life Besides it's her biz spending where most of the AP miles come from. I check daily for J seats on 33/34, not holding my breath. 595,000 for market fare!!!

tng11: We will be in Raja Ampat for 2 weeks over the 15/16 Xmas/NewYears. Leave YYZ 11pm on Wed, arrive resort 6pm Saturday. Ugh. YYZ-IST-CGK J on TK. After that it's express air (????) to Sorong then a 6hr boat ride to Misool.

F? Never flown in F. Lucky!!! Where are you looking at to dive over that time? The only place out of reach is the Tuamotus Islands near French Tahiti. Looks incredible but insanely expensive, especially given the US$. Indo is easy, cheap YQ and wicked diving with lot's of options. Only issues are weather, I normally wouldn't go so far over the Xmas holidays but RA isn't a place to dive over the summer months
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:28 pm

BMO World Elite MC FYF

BMO World Elite Mastercard - FYF ($150 value) plus 30,000 welcome bonus until Apr 20 2015 plus Priority pass

http://www.bmo.com/credit-cards/bmo-...ite-mastercard
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Originally Posted by jhartley15
BMO World Elite Mastercard - FYF ($150 value) plus 30,000 welcome bonus until Apr 20 2015 plus Priority pass

http://www.bmo.com/credit-cards/bmo-...ite-mastercard
Assuming ,that all travel bookings have to be done thru BMO rewards centre , what are the actual prices compared to booking thru actual airline or hotel website. I did some searches and they look more or less the same .
But you have to sign in to the BMO Rewards to finalize and I do not know if they add other fees ( taxes , booking fees etc ) Does anyone have experience with them ?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by ericosuave
Assuming ,that all travel bookings have to be done thru BMO rewards centre , what are the actual prices compared to booking thru actual airline or hotel website. I did some searches and they look more or less the same .
But you have to sign in to the BMO Rewards to finalize and I do not know if they add other fees ( taxes , booking fees etc ) Does anyone have experience with them ?
Prices seem to be the same as other booking sites.

No extra booking fees or anything like that.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Prices seem to be the same as other booking sites.

No extra booking fees or anything like that.
There was no booking fee
but there is a $30 cancel/change fee EVEN if it's 100% Refundable reservation (I think same as ExpediaForTD or Expedia in general)

I'd be careful on that

AMEX Travel Service, on the other hand, has no booking fee nor cancel fee
I've canceled 2 reservations in the last month, on 2 cards (Plat/Gold), no fees at all
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Originally Posted by jerryhung
There was no booking fee
but there is a $30 cancel/change fee EVEN if it's 100% Refundable reservation (I think same as ExpediaForTD or Expedia in general)

I'd be careful on that

I've canceled 2 reservations in the last month, on 2 cards (Plat/Gold), no fees at all
can you still collect points ,such as Aeroplan on flights or Spg , Marriott on hotel bookings ? If yes that would be a pretty good card to have .
I have MC World Elite cash back card ( cibc ) but you can average only about 1.25 % cash back due to tier system .
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung
There was no booking fee

I'd be careful on that

This is correct, but the amex rate is not 2%.

I use both amex and BMO world elite, for different things. I don't think I have ever used amex points for travel, always transfer them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.