Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > Question aboout Aeroplan stopover on award tickets

Question aboout Aeroplan stopover on award tickets

Old Jan 31, 15, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Avios, SPG

I've been redeeming Aeroplan rewards for years and I just read that you can book a stopover without additional points. I tried to make some 'test bookings' on the Aeroplan website and it seems like this free stopover only works for certain cities. Does anyone know what criteria the cities have to be? I read the article here: http://cardmecanada.com/free-areoplan-award-stopover/
Old Feb 1, 15, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by loun80 View Post
I've been redeeming Aeroplan rewards for years and I just read that you can book a stopover without additional points. I tried to make some 'test bookings' on the Aeroplan website and it seems like this free stopover only works for certain cities. Does anyone know what criteria the cities have to be? I read the article here: http://cardmecanada.com/free-areoplan-award-stopover/
You always could redeem rewards that had free stopovers. You're permitted two stopovers or one open jaw + one stopover, but you'll have to call in. With online itineraries, you can have either one open jaw or one stopover.

The stopover has to be one of the cities on your way to the destination that doesn't exceed or invalidate the routing rules.
Since we're linking to blogs, see my post on the new routing rules (from Oct 2014): http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...ules-unveiled/
Here is a post of Aeroplan's routing and stopover rules explained: http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...plan-mini-rtw/
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Avios, SPG
Aeroplan Reward Free Stopovers?

I posted in the wrong forum and was told to post in this forum:

Old Feb 1, 15, 10:09 pm

Programs: S100K, UA Gold, CX Gold, Marriot Platinum Premier, SPG platinum,Fairmont Plat,National Exec Elite
the easy answer is to use the muti-city tab on aeroplan.com and try entering the city you want to stop. There are mileage restrictions depending on destination and stopovers
there are quite a few threads here on different options.
Old Feb 2, 15, 6:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying the world in Business and First Class only

Read Jeff's post above, it gives a good intro
Old Feb 19, 15, 3:50 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
OK so looking at this (and the website) I can do something like:
Out: SAN-LAX-YVR-LON (stop) -FRA- BCN (dest)
Rtn: BCN-FRA-ATL (stop) -ORD-SAN

I am going to transfer points from Amex so can I call and check before I transfer the points or do I need the points in the account for the aeroplan agents to look at it?
Old Feb 19, 15, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by pjs91015 View Post
OK so looking at this (and the website) I can do something like:
Out: SAN-LAX-YVR-LON (stop) -FRA- BCN (dest)
Rtn: BCN-FRA-ATL (stop) -ORD-SAN

I am going to transfer points from Amex so can I call and check before I transfer the points or do I need the points in the account for the aeroplan agents to look at it?
If you routing is approved, get prepared to pay $1,000+ in fuel surcharges.

To minimize fuel surcharges, route on YQ-free airlines (no AC or LH).

You can call and feed your flights to Aeroplan agent, and then transfer points when they tell you it`s all valid, available, and ready to book. Transfers are instant.
Old Feb 20, 15, 1:40 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by echino View Post
If you routing is approved, get prepared to pay $1,000+ in fuel surcharges.

To minimize fuel surcharges, route on YQ-free airlines (no AC or LH).

You can call and feed your flights to Aeroplan agent, and then transfer points when they tell you it`s all valid, available, and ready to book. Transfers are instant.
Thanks for the help. Any issue with the number of legs. Looks like BCN-ATL is going to be a bit of a .....! BCN-FRA-DUS-EWR-ATL!

Edit. Just checked and it is a 10-leg maximum. So this means that I can do this (which is apparently available):
SFO-YVR-LHR (stop) - FRA-BCN (dest) - FRA-DUS-EWR-ATL (openjaw). I actually live in SAN so may look to add two more legs to get me home - if they become available. Going to call!

Last edited by pjs91015; Feb 20, 15 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 20, 15, 2:39 pm

Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Since we're linking to blogs, see my post on the new routing rules (from Oct 2014): [URL="http://canadiankilometers.boardingarea.com/2014/10/30/new-aeroplan-routing-rules-unveiled/"]
2nd or third time I've read your post on the matter. I'm wondering if you'd ever do another quick post with some west coast ideas, seeing as we're both YVR based .

I've been trying to think of some creative routings to explore 2 regions and I'm finding it pretty difficult, not sure if it's a poor imagination or just it's way harder from YVR. I've been trying to pair MDE with anything outside of USA/Central America/South America but haven't been able to do it, not sure if it's just not possible or what.

Anyways, keep up the blogging, very informative.

Search this Thread