Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Just stumbled upon this article (in French) about the conversion of an empty office building (at the corner of University and Cathcart) into a Renaissance hotel. Hoping to have it opened by February 2016.
"The 11-story building is located at the corner of University and Cathcart, close to Place Ville Marie".

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Just stumbled upon this article (in French) about the conversion of an empty office building (at the corner of University and Cathcart) into a Renaissance hotel. Hoping to have it opened by February 2016.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ti...3c38ddb5?hl=en

Thanks, I am glad to see the Renaissance brand come back to Montreal as it was a sad day when the prior one was converted to housing for the students at McGill -- it was also very conveniently placed for the Place des Arts.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Oct 29, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Was registering a friend for the next mega-bonus & noticed this under elite promos for the Springhill Suites Old Montreal.

"Have a drink at the Auberge St-Gabriel, the oldest restaurant in North America. Plus, earn 1,000 extra points per night at the SpringHill Suites Old Montreal.
I hope this trip report isn't too late.

Stayed at this property over Labor Day weekend with this promo.

It's in Old Montreal -- narrow streets, hilly, but also very touristy. The hotel entrance is on an actual street but about as wide an an alleyway.

Check in:
Arrived around 9am. Small check in desk but staff was very attentive. Recognized my Silver status and that I had registered for this promo. The clerk apologized that my room wasn't ready yet but promised it would be ready by noon. He gave us an excellent recommendation for breakfast, Creperie chez Suzette, which was a 5 minute walk away.

The Room:
Standard SHS room. The view was of the roof of the building next door. The AC unit was right below the window and next to the bed. Somewhat cold.

Breakfast:
Was mostly devoured by families and hungover students before we arrived. I believe they had sausage.

Free cocktails:
We didn't avail ourselves to them as the restaurant is closed Sundays and Mondays, the days we were staying.

Checkout:
Very quick. Just handed over the key and the clerk asked if we needed a taxi, which we declined.

The bonus was deposited in my account crazy-fast. Even before the stay points was posted.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ti...3c38ddb5?hl=en

Thanks, I am glad to see the Renaissance brand come back to Montreal as it was a sad day when the prior one was converted to housing for the students at McGill -- it was also very conveniently placed for the Place des Arts.
While I agree with you completely, have you tried the CY? It's actually very Ren-ish in its feel.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
While I agree with you completely, have you tried the CY? It's actually very Ren-ish in its feel.
Of course, I have CJ! ^

In fact, I think I wrote in a previous post that it could easily convert to same with just some changes.

I was there for Jazz Fest and pre-blocked rooms for next year's Jazz Fest to use with my CAT 5 certs that I earned last year -- expecting, rightly, that they would up the property to a Category 6.

I think that it is a much better location that the to be built Renaissance -- which is approximately between the at present being renovated Peel Str. R/I and the Chateau Champlain, but I am never going to complain about too much Marriott product in downtown Montreal!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 am

Of course, I have CJ! ^

In fact, I think I wrote in a previous post that it could easily convert to same with just some changes.

I was there for Jazz Fest and pre-blocked rooms for next year's Jazz Fest to use with my CAT 5 certs that I earned last year -- expecting, rightly, that they would up the property to a Category 6.

I think that it is a much better location that the to be built Renaissance -- which is approximately between the at present being renovated Peel Str. R/I and the Chateau Champlain, but I am never going to complain about too much Marriott product in downtown Montreal!
Forgot you were the one there for Jazz Fest, probably a week or so before I was there IIRC. And I agree there can never be too much product. While I really like the SHS location, the views and sunlight in the CY make it okay to have to walk a few more blocks to get to the train or the old city.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Forgot you were the one there for Jazz Fest, probably a week or so before I was there IIRC. And I agree there can never be too much product. While I really like the SHS location, the views and sunlight in the CY make it okay to have to walk a few more blocks to get to the train or the old city.

Also, although the Old Port section is nice, this is much better centered to see the rest of the city, as well as being next door to Chinatown!

IMHO, even with the new Renaissance, this will be the best located Marriott family property in the city. Of course, elite perks and room prices will dictate my choices as Montreal has an efficient transportation system and I like to walk, anyway, so any downtown location is fine with me.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:30 pm

Of course, elite perks and room prices will dictate my choices as Montreal has an efficient transportation system and I like to walk, anyway, so any downtown location is fine with me.
Having a CL will be a big plus in favor of the Ren for me, granted.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:17 am

Any recommendations for a first visit to Montreal for 3 nights. The Marriott is about 50 Dollars cheaper. Will be there over weekend so no Lounge access.

I typically do not stay at CY's, but It seems this one may be a tad nicer than most (newer).

I haven't seen much about the Ritz Carlton. Any Reviews? How is the Location?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Can I piggyback on jr1202sr and ask my own very much linked question?

I'm planning to marry my second wife (second time round for both of us) in early July then a few days later we fly out with the teenagers to visit her relatives in Toronto area. From there we are taking the teens on a points-burning Roadtrip visiting Ottawa, Ausable, NYC, DC and Niagara before returning to Oakville to drop them off for a few nights whilst we have a "mini honeymoon" in Montreal, my missus childhood home which she hasn't visited since the 1980's.

Whilst the whole holiday isnt particulatrly romantic, I'd like to pick a nice hotel from which to base ourselves for the memory lane walks were going to take around Montreal, and I'm not sure the Montreal Marriott fits that bill. I have reserved the Marriott on a cancellable rate, but the rooms don't seem inspiring, the baths are small (Missus really dislikes that small tub that seems to be in common usage around North America) and the exec lounge doesn't do alcohol. I am considering the Intercontinental which is a similar price for a club room, but will consider any good option even if it's not in my favoured Marriott or IHG chains...

So all suggestions, hints or tips are gratefully appreciated...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Can I piggyback on jr1202sr and ask my own very much linked question?

I'm planning to marry my second wife (second time round for both of us) in early July then a few days later we fly out with the teenagers to visit her relatives in Toronto area. From there we are taking the teens on a points-burning Roadtrip visiting Ottawa, Ausable, NYC, DC and Niagara before returning to Oakville to drop them off for a few nights whilst we have a "mini honeymoon" in Montreal, my missus childhood home which she hasn't visited since the 1980's.

Whilst the whole holiday isnt particulatrly romantic, I'd like to pick a nice hotel from which to base ourselves for the memory lane walks were going to take around Montreal, and I'm not sure the Montreal Marriott fits that bill. I have reserved the Marriott on a cancellable rate, but the rooms don't seem inspiring, the baths are small (Missus really dislikes that small tub that seems to be in common usage around North America) and the exec lounge doesn't do alcohol. I am considering the Intercontinental which is a similar price for a club room, but will consider any good option even if it's not in my favoured Marriott or IHG chains...

So all suggestions, hints or tips are gratefully appreciated...

Take a look at the Westin and the Embassy Suites, they are new builds and near the Courtyard. Can't say I stayed at either, but the Westin is dropping a Category, as well. They, like the C/Y and the Intercontinental are the best positioned for exploring Montreal.

There also is the Hyatt which is well positioned and already dropped a category to a Category 2, and one can do points and cash rates that do earn points, but I don't know what condition that property is in.

Finally, see if there are going to be any festivals in Montreal, as well, while you are there.

Finally, finally, you may wish to consider going to Quebec City -- 2 1/2 hrs NE of Montreal by car, train or bus, as it is a truly romantic city -- and although you are from Europe -- you will find it somewhat familiar as it is the only North American City still with its fortification wall surrounding it.

There, you have the Fairmont which is the grande dame of the hotels within the city walls, as well as the Hilton and Marriott that are nearby but a short walk away -- The Hilton rooms can have particularly stunning views of the Old City and Parliament Hill.

Finally, finally, finally -- Congrautlations!! :-:

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:37 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 am
Suspended

Oh, there also is the W but I think that the rooms and perhaps the vibe may be too off putting -- it gets really mixed reviews on Trip-Advisor.

Another Starwood property that is dropping down is the Le Meridien and although some rooms are very small, other guests seem to have been happy with their accommodations and the hotel's location.

The Ritz is not in a good location in my opinion -- it is in a tony neighborhood and near the main art museum, but I don't think it worth the cost in cash or points due to its placement -- but then again, I am not a Ritz type of guy.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Any recommendations for a first visit to Montreal for 3 nights. The Marriott is about 50 Dollars cheaper. Will be there over weekend so no Lounge access.

I typically do not stay at CY's, but It seems this one may be a tad nicer than most (newer).

I haven't seen much about the Ritz Carlton. Any Reviews? How is the Location?

Thanks!
The CY is very nice, more than just a tad better than most, and in a great location. The FS is an interesting building and a nice hotel, and is right on the subway line (you don't need to exit the building) but I would still rather stay at the CY. Either is a great choice for a first visit, as is the SHS, although it has no views from the rooms and isn't quite as nice as the CY or FS. It does, though, have a great location. At $100 a night difference, I might do the FS, but at $50, I'd still choose the CY.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Any updates on Residence Inn Downtown?

Just held a reservation at this hotel at a good rate for the very central Residence Inn Montreal Downtown for 4 nights in May. The studio king comes with it a sofa bed and it looks like there's enough room to open it up but does anyone have firsthand experience with this and can offer any input?

Having a kitchen would offer some advantages for light breakfasts & coffee though plan to dine around the city.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
Just held a reservation at this hotel at a good rate for the very central Residence Inn Montreal Downtown for 4 nights in May. The studio king comes with it a sofa bed and it looks like there's enough room to open it up but does anyone have firsthand experience with this and can offer any input?

Having a kitchen would offer some advantages for light breakfasts & coffee though plan to dine around the city.
It was closed for renovations some time last year, so they must have completed same and are open again.

The Westmount property is still at Cat 3 -- with all the devaluations, it is surprising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.