Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:06 pm

So I upgraded my card from the no-fee to the Surpass Card. Hit the spend statement came but no annual fee assessed. Can I downgrade back to the no-fee card?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dascc
So I upgraded my card from the no-fee to the Surpass Card. Hit the spend statement came but no annual fee assessed. Can I downgrade back to the no-fee card?
I upgraded my no-fee card to Surpass a couple months ago. A $25 "membership fee" posted a little over a month after I made the upgrade. Not sure why $25, I suppose it's 1/3 of the year until my card anniversary? I originally got the free HH card in June 2012.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by fredc84
I don't know why, but with Hilton and Amex I've always had to correct them on the HH number. In our cases, they always assigned a new number even though we put the current number on the app. The only time I've seen no number like you was after I contacted them to change it to the correct account number and it would blank out for a couple days until our actual HH number showed up. You can handle it by using the chat feature on the amex site where your account is listed. I've found that to be the easiest way.
I have a new client (consultant) who uses Hilton exclusively, so I obtained the Surpass card primarily for Gold status. I had a Hilton account, not used much recently, that I listed on the card application. Did not show up on the AmEx site, so I used the chat feature to ask that it be added. Still hasn't shown up on the AmEx page, but I got an e-mail from Hilton that says I am now Gold. It's indubitably in process.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
I don't know why, but with Hilton and Amex I've always had to correct them on the HH number. In our cases, they always assigned a new number even though we put the current number on the app. The only time I've seen no number like you was after I contacted them to change it to the correct account number and it would blank out for a couple days until our actual HH number showed up. You can handle it by using the chat feature on the amex site where your account is listed. I've found that to be the easiest way.
Had this EXACT same experience with my new card. I put my "true" HH number (the one I've had for 15 years) on my application. When the card came and I set up the online account, a different HH number showed up. My first chat contacts with both AmEx and Hilton had them pointing fingers at each other. AmEx said "We show your true number on the account and don't see the other number; Hilton must have generated it." Hilton said that they had nothing to do with the false number but made some adjustments on their end to make sure the points go where they are supposed to. In a followup phone call to AmEx, they acknowledged the presence of the new false number on my account and said "you must not have put the true number on your application." I assured them that I had and asked why they didn't see the new number the previous evening. I never got an answer to that, just an assurance that they would review the chat log. They then made the same account-number-switching adjustment on their end. This has been a confusing and frustrating first-impression experience with AmEx.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:23 pm

Had the same exact experience as dave 1013 with my new Surpass just last week.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by riversidetom
Me too. I reached out via Amex's live chat service and was told it would be fixed in 2-3 days. We'll see!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Amex set up a new Hilton account for me as well, despite my having included the existing number on the application. Fortunately it was a pretty painless call with Hilton to get the old account merged into the new one, so the number Amex has should work going forward.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:19 pm

I chatted online and they fixed mine on the spot
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by banffflyr
Me too. I reached out via Amex's live chat service and was told it would be fixed in 2-3 days. We'll see!
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Amex set up a new Hilton account for me as well, despite my having included the existing number on the application. Fortunately it was a pretty painless call with Hilton to get the old account merged into the new one, so the number Amex has should work going forward.
I chatted online and they fixed mine on the spot
Adding my DP - same experience (these posts prompted me to look online, account is about 1 week old), inputted Honors # during app, random new number, online chat rep took care of it in about 3 minutes - said would take up to 5 biz days to reflect online.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:10 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

I sent a few of you a private message about linking your Hilton Honors account to your new card. Check your inbox and feel free to message me back so we can look into this for you.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I sent a few of you a private message about linking your Hilton Honors account to your new card. Check your inbox and feel free to message me back so we can look into this for you.

Thanks!
Lauren
Same thing happened to my husband. Could you pm me? Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:25 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by lyst
Same thing happened to my husband. Could you pm me? Thanks
Hi lyst,

Just sent you a message.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi lyst,

Just sent you a message.

Thanks!
Lauren
can u pls pm me as well? i'd update my HH number in my account
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Here's an update to my post #518 in which I described an issue with an unknown Honors account number showing up on the web page for the account of my new Honors-branded AmEx Surpass card.

Since posting, I have made three more calls and conducted one chat session with AmEx reps regarding this matter, including two calls yesterday (one which I was hung up on and the other I was on hold for ~20 minutes and had to hang up to go into a meeting).

So I called again this morning and was connected to a supervisor. I explained the situation to him and he replied in a somewhat haughty manner that it's "common knowledge" that the strange Honors account number displayed on the web page is purposely a fake, for security reasons. He said that my real number will never show up on the web page for that reason.

I inquired that if it was such "common knowledge", then why oh why was I hearing it for the first time from him after having had several earlier conversations with his colleagues?

He said he was surprised to hear this from me, and apologized profusely. He promised to get the word out to coworkers so that they can give people who are inquiring about the same issue the straight scoop.

So there you have it (if we're lucky). Lauren, I hope you will follow up and pursue why this so-called common knowledge wasn't made clear to the AmEx CSR's, or you, or both, from the get go. A lot of time got wasted as a result (including yours).

For the record, over the weekend I breached the $3K spend threshold for the 100K point bonus. The bonus points were posted overnight and are showing in my "real" Honors account now.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
So if this is true, then why not pre-populate the HHonors fake account number with: 123456789. I think most people would immediately deduce this is an exemplar account number.

Originally Posted by dave1013
Here's an update to my post #518 in which I described an issue with an unknown Honors account number showing up on the web page for the account of my new Honors-branded AmEx Surpass card.

Since posting, I have made three more calls and conducted one chat session with AmEx reps regarding this matter, including two calls yesterday (one which I was hung up on and the other I was on hold for ~20 minutes and had to hang up to go into a meeting).

So I called again this morning and was connected to a supervisor. I explained the situation to him and he replied in a somewhat haughty manner that it's "common knowledge" that the strange Honors account number displayed on the web page is purposely a fake, for security reasons. He said that my real number will never show up on the web page for that reason.

I inquired that if it was such "common knowledge", then why oh why was I hearing it for the first time from him after having had several earlier conversations with his colleagues?

He said he was surprised to hear this from me, and apologized profusely. He promised to get the word out to coworkers so that they can give people who are inquiring about the same issue the straight scoop.

So there you have it (if we're lucky). Lauren, I hope you will follow up and pursue why this so-called common knowledge wasn't made clear to the AmEx CSR's, or you, or both, from the get go. A lot of time got wasted as a result (including yours).

For the record, over the weekend I breached the $3K spend threshold for the 100K point bonus. The bonus points were posted overnight and are showing in my "real" Honors account now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.