Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by craig44485
Agree it works, but not on the NRT MNL or MNL NRT flights, even with the signs and people it's still a zoo. There can be more pre board wheelchairs than regular passengers. You will never see so much carry on, and I've seen 1person with a BE ticket bring 8 or 9 family members or friends with them when boarding, when the 8 or 9 are sitting in Y.
As long as GA'S allow this, it will continue. (both here and Asia)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Ledfish
Again, as others have correctly said, the only way to solve the gate lice problem is to charge for carryons and make checking a bag free, which most of the airlines will eventually do once they figure out how to enforce that without delaying the board process.
Disagree. I, and I'd bet many other elites, would still pay for the carry-on because of the many benefits of carrying on once you arrive at your destination. Or, more likely, the fee would be waived as an elite benefit anyway and it becomes a net change of zero.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by relangford
Problem is: I have been complained to when I needed the "larger" side to be told "Your seat is on the left; don't put your bag above me."
"Wrong. Feel free to ask the flight attendant where this sort of bag should go."
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craig44485
Agree it works, but not on the NRT MNL or MNL NRT flights, even with the signs and people it's still a zoo. There can be more pre board wheelchairs than regular passengers. You will never see so much carry on, and I've seen 1person with a BE ticket bring 8 or 9 family members or friends with them when boarding, when the 8 or 9 are sitting in Y.
Japan isn't all of Asia.

IME the PVG flights are bad, both at PVG and DTW.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by gooselee
Disagree. I, and I'd bet many other elites, would still pay for the carry-on because of the many benefits of carrying on once you arrive at your destination. Or, more likely, the fee would be waived as an elite benefit anyway and it becomes a net change of zero.
Don't confuse the opinion with facts. Here are some more facts: Making checked baggage, which has direct costs (baggage handlers, systems, tracking and lost/delayed baggage) and indirect costs (encouraging people to pack more, adding to fuel costs), free does not make any more sense than discouraging people from doing the lower cost thing, which is carry on bags. The only way to make checked bags free is to pass along the associated costs by raising fares. That ain't gonna happen. Most of DL's profitability can be traced to keeping the fares low while charging for checked bags. Checked bag fees make up a large chunk of DL's profit; risking that by charging for carry-ons while letting people check bags for free would likely have an immediate bad result on the stock price.

DL has no reason to change things. They don't care about what a mess boarding has become because the flights leave on time (the GAs are truly amazing at this), costs are low and profits are high. They aren't going to risk changing any of these things because we don't like how the boarding process works.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Greatest gate lice attack today. Sfo flight to SLC. 3 pax in SP line. FA announces gate change and the three lice race in their suits to the new gate. Keep in mind arriving pax have not even deplaned yet. They hog the SP Kane so arriving pax can't use the SP lane to hk into the terminal.

Pics to come.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Greatest gate lice attack today. Sfo flight to SLC. 3 pax in SP line. FA announces gate change and the three lice race in their suits to the new gate. Keep in mind arriving pax have not even deplaned yet. They hog the SP Kane so arriving pax can't use the SP lane to hk into the terminal.

Pics to come.

Yay, I am on the SFO-SLC flight tomorrow...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think RDU is one of the worst places for it. It doesn't help that the stanchions for Sky Priority/Economy boarding are placed really close to the desk and are often hard to see/hard to tell where they start. Plus, full 757s to ATL lead to lots of elites.

That's a typical scene at C1.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The problem is F pax in bulkhead F seats who want to be sure they get overhead space, pax in the second row who want to beat the people in the bulkhead to get overhead space before the bulkhead pax, everyone else in F who doesn't want to get stuck standing while others put stuff in the overhead, people in EC who want to get overhead space before other EC passengers, DMs who didn't get UGd, PMs and GMs who think they should board before others, credit card holders who think Zone 1 boards early, FOs who think it's unfair that they board after SKY so it's their right to crowd, kettles who do not know better and kettles who know better but think if they're at the front, when Zone 3 is called, they may still get overhead space.

In other words, the problem is everyone but me.

👏👏👏

I've posted this before. The problem would be solved if DL installed trap doors that open with the first boarding call, depositing all the lice into a cage below. DL could then parade those in F on high litters onto the plane. The litters could return for DM, PM and GM. After that, the cage could elevate, returning the lice to the gate area. Hungry tigers could then be released in the gate area, but be kept from Jetway. The remaining passengers would be forced to quickly get onto the Jetway.

Or DL could adopt WNs boarding policy, but not their seating policy.
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but all over Asia, when flying Delta, there are staff that magically appear at boarding time. Each Delta staff member holds a sign above their head: 1st, Sky, Zone 1, etc. Works perfectly. I know the USA is a broke-... country and can't afford the extra people, but this solution works very well.
I came back from PVG on Delta and as a DELTA GOLD, I was given a red boarding-pass size card marked "SKY PRIORITY" boarding. It worked like a charm as the gate agents could easily sort the crowd. Don't know if that was a one off, but I hope not.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I came back from PVG on Delta and as a DELTA GOLD, I was given a red boarding-pass size card marked "SKY PRIORITY" boarding. It worked like a charm as the gate agents could easily sort the crowd. Don't know if that was a one off, but I hope not.
I have seen them in AMS (and something smaller but similar in SIN). I hated it at first...but it does work quite well to part the lice in those cramped AMS gate houses.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I think RDU is one of the worst places for it. It doesn't help that the stanchions for Sky Priority/Economy boarding are placed really close to the desk and are often hard to see/hard to tell where they start. Plus, full 757s to ATL lead to lots of elites.
100% agree. RDU is worse than most other airports. I think it's the combination of a few "road warrior" types and then a lot of infrequent travelers who ape those guys.

Also, no offense to those of you with thick necks, shaved heads and goatees who like to wear faded golf shirts and link chain necklaces, but I do notice something of a pattern in the most common "I'm first: deal with it" passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I am currently enroute JFK-SLC, which isn't exactly unusual -- but what is unusual is that I'm on JetBlue. There were no lice to speak of at my gate at JFK, other than a family yelling for the mother to leave the Best Buy vending machine so they wouldn't miss the flight.

I can't confirm, but based on experience I suspect that the majority of the passengers on Delta's JFK-SLC were gate lice.

Just a different perspective

-J.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:27 am

Sung to the tune of "I'm a girl watcher"

I'm a louse watcher
Gate louse watcher
Watch them block the aisle
My, my, my

I'm a louse watcher
The gate lice watcher
Here they all are now-

There's a louse I'm gonna meet
Because he's trying poach my seat
Overhead bins are full
My carryon went into the hold

Now I'm a louse also
I'm a louse also
Gonna block the aisle
Make the diamonds cry

Now I'm a louse also
I'm a louse also
Wishing I was sky-
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gmark1
Sung to the tune of "I'm a girl watcher"
Not bad — not bad at all.

This is certainly the right O’Kaysion to post a song parody...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
SEA challenging my home airport of RDU for Lice Dominance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.