Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Love what united is doing, similar to WN - putting up placards with the zone #'s on it.

IMO, it should be

Pre-Board (chair, cane or carseat)
360/DM/First
PM/GM
MM/Sky Team Elite+
FO/Reserve Card / Sky Team Elite
Zone 1 = no rollerboards
Zone 2-4
Zone P = for purgatory. This is a special zone for anyone caught trying to board the plane before his/her zone is called and/or blocks the path of people on the previous flight exiting. I've seen GAs hold their boarding passes before, claiming something needed to be checked in the system.
I added one.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Love what united is doing, similar to WN - putting up placards with the zone #'s on it.

IMO, it should be

Pre-Board (chair, cane or carseat)
360/DM/First
PM/GM
MM/Sky Team Elite+
Zone 1 = no rollerboards
Zone 2-4
Well, everything above Zone 2 will take care of 80% of the passengers. The ridiculous number of pre-boards makes pre-boarding practically worthless.

Seriously... If everyone is special, then no one is special. Which is fine, but lets just cut the bs.

Every man for himself!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
I'm sure it's been said here before, but since everyone seemingly carries on now vs. checking the problem seems insurmountable at most airports. there's very little space (and Delta is taking action to make sure there's even less by cramming in all kinds of other amenities like ipad stations), and those who want to be assured of a space for their carryon are jammed up hoping they can find space before it's gone.

so aren't all of us forced to become gate lice if we want to find space for our luggage ?

there's been many times this year where I'm one of the first to board, yet the space above my seat is already taken. if not by an FA, but by the person across from me who "boarded early". it's a game and we're all losing.
Absolutely!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

IMO, it should be

Pre-Board (chair, cane carseat)
360/DM/First
PM/GM
MM/Sky Team Elite+
Zone 1 = no rollerboards
Zone 2-4
I flew UA for the first time in years yesterday. The lines keep things a little more organized, but they combine GS and F in one line, but call GS and military personnel first, They should have their own line so they would not need to squeeze through.

Also, if you want OH space you have to get in line fairly early. Once one person is in the designated holding pen, the masses swarm to fill in. I am not exaggerating when I say the boarding area was empty one minute and full within two minutes later. ...

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I flew UA for the first time in years yesterday. The lines keep things a little more organized, but they combine GS and F in one line, but call GS and military personnel first, They should have their own line so they would not need to squeeze through.

Also, if you want OH space you have to get in line fairly early. Once one person is in the designated holding pen, the masses swarm to fill in. I am not exaggerating when I say the boarding area was empty one minute and full within two minutes later. ...
This sounds like Southwest.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
This is an old thread and large thread and I was not too inclined to read the entire thing but reading the first couple of pages and the last couple you can see what appears to be a major shift in the definition of gate lice.

The OP posts a picture of a guy standing in the Sky Priority lane early for a flight. He is being called a gate lice. It now appears that the definition is the impregnable wall created by Zone 2 and 3 passengers that are impeding the forward movement of the early boarding.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
This is an old thread and large thread and I was not too inclined to read the entire thing but reading the first couple of pages and the last couple you can see what appears to be a major shift in the definition of gate lice.

The OP posts a picture of a guy standing in the Sky Priority lane early for a flight. He is being called a gate lice. It now appears that the definition is the impregnable wall created by Zone 2 and 3 passengers that are impeding the forward movement of the early boarding.
Maybe we should rename the term "gate mob" or something to that effect?

-J.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It isn't quite as orderly as Southwest, but it's close. This is one area where I feel UA has a much better system in place. I'm only group 2 over at UA, but even if I end up at the back, or towards the back of the group 2 line, I have always had room for the carry-on right above my seat.

I wish DL would try something similar, or at least something different. Especially in the G gates at MSP. The seating areas for the restaurants are nice, but they make queuing and boarding a complete disaster.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy

Back then no one knew that lice was plural for louse. So the phrase just kinda stuck. I am waiting to see what my RJ flight is like today 65 seats on the flight and at least 28 people on UG list. I am guessing there will be lots of lice milling about.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jacobac00
It isn't quite as orderly as Southwest, but it's close. This is one area where I feel UA has a much better system in place. I'm only group 2 over at UA, but even if I end up at the back, or towards the back of the group 2 line, I have always had room for the carry-on right above my seat.

I wish DL would try something similar, or at least something different. Especially in the G gates at MSP. The seating areas for the restaurants are nice, but they make queuing and boarding a complete disaster.
I partly agree. With modifications the UA system could work. However, many of the G Gates at MSP are so tight now thst I as m not sure the room exists for such.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I miss the days when my trips were only 1-2 nights long and my office was casual dress. I'd just stuff everything into my messenger bag and stay in the SkyClub until T-20, then walk over and be one of the last people to stroll on the plane.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Was flying ATL-LGA yesterday afternoon, and let me just tell you: Gate Lice term is not just the for the infrequent un-experienced traveler.

GA called for First to board and about 10 people tried to work their way through the gate lice. It was ridiculous. All of these people were in suits and appeared to be seasoned travelers but they hovered around that gate like nobody's business. Maybe they were waiting for SKY to be called (there were about 20 ppl on the UG List) but not sure how many of them were SKY.

Anyone can be a louse. Not just the inexperienced traveler.

Last edited by mridley2; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:56 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I believe we can squarely blame DL for this phenomenon. Remember 10 years ago when it was free to check a bag, and everyone stayed seated until their zone was called (as there was little chance of running out of bin space)? We could all collectively thumb our noses at the Southwest cattle call and speak of a more civilized experience over at Delta.

That is no more. Delta's boarding process starts with a well meaning gate agent instilling panic when making an announcement about bin space that is interpreted by passengers to mean bin space will fit maybe 10% of the bags in the boarding area. Reaction to this creates a cloud of travelers confused by First Class this and Elite Plus that as they push closer to the boarding door as if their proximity would make the bins bigger. Maybe 50% of the time the actual zone shows up on the GIDS, but even if it did, nobody is watching, and there is no path for those in the current zone to get up to the gate.

The gate agent interprets this lack of passengers in the current zone to mean everyone in that zone must have boarded thus they call the next zone which creates further hysteria and a thicker wall to penetrate. By the time zone 1 is called, it's an all out assault towards the boarding door and all hope is lost to find space, even if you are Sky "Priority".

Southwest, in complete contrast to the boarding process that is Delta Air Lines, is completely civil. People watch the screens above the boarding area intently to wait to line up, usually remaining seated. They don't try to do the "Southwest Pole Dance" until they see their letter and number on the screens. Their passengers even look to make sure they didn't accidentally jump ahead of anyone in the respective group of five. I kid you not, several times I've had someone with a higher number than me within the same group of let's say A25-A30 offer to let me go ahead because I was maybe A26 and they were A27. What's their hurry other than finding a seat? They comfortably checked their bag at the counter earlier for free... Can you imagine a double diamond DYKWIA saying, no please, go ahead of me, I see you're in F class and this time I'm in SKY...

I shared this irony with a Delta gate agent in Denver a few weeks ago. I pointed to the Southwest gate across the concourse that was in the process of an orderly boarding while showing her my battle scars from fighting through the throngs of zone 1 and zone 2 to get on a packed MD-90 to MSP. Even though I technically boarded with "Sky Priority", my bag was still 6 rows behind me and I wonder if it was worth the effort to even try to board in my zone.

In conclusion, I say that Delta's process is broken. It's a pain in the #@%# and completely uncivilized and totally disorganized most of the time. I hope they can modify to make it a little easier to navigate.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I believe we can squarely blame DL for this phenomenon. Remember 10 years ago when it was free to check a bag, and everyone stayed seated until their zone was called (as there was little chance of running out of bin space)? We could all collectively thumb our noses at the Southwest cattle call and speak of a more civilized experience over at Delta.

That is no more. Delta's boarding process starts with a well meaning gate agent instilling panic when making an announcement about bin space that is interpreted by passengers to mean bin space will fit maybe 10% of the bags in the boarding area. Reaction to this creates a cloud of travelers confused by First Class this and Elite Plus that as they push closer to the boarding door as if their proximity would make the bins bigger. Maybe 50% of the time the actual zone shows up on the GIDS, but even if it did, nobody is watching, and there is no path for those in the current zone to get up to the gate.

The gate agent interprets this lack of passengers in the current zone to mean everyone in that zone must have boarded thus they call the next zone which creates further hysteria and a thicker wall to penetrate. By the time zone 1 is called, it's an all out assault towards the boarding door and all hope is lost to find space, even if you are Sky "Priority".

Southwest, in complete contrast to the boarding process that is Delta Air Lines, is completely civil. People watch the screens above the boarding area intently to wait to line up, usually remaining seated. They don't try to do the "Southwest Pole Dance" until they see their letter and number on the screens. Their passengers even look to make sure they didn't accidentally jump ahead of anyone in the respective group of five. I kid you not, several times I've had someone with a higher number than me within the same group of let's say A25-A30 offer to let me go ahead because I was maybe A26 and they were A27. What's their hurry other than finding a seat? They comfortably checked their bag at the counter earlier for free... Can you imagine a double diamond DYKWIA saying, no please, go ahead of me, I see you're in F class and this time I'm in SKY...

I shared this irony with a Delta gate agent in Denver a few weeks ago. I pointed to the Southwest gate across the concourse that was in the process of an orderly boarding while showing her my battle scars from fighting through the throngs of zone 1 and zone 2 to get on a packed MD-90 to MSP. Even though I technically boarded with "Sky Priority", my bag was still 6 rows behind me and I wonder if it was worth the effort to even try to board in my zone.

In conclusion, I say that Delta's process is broken. It's a pain in the #@%# and completely uncivilized and totally disorganized most of the time. I hope they can modify to make it a little easier to navigate.
I completely agree. Well said!!!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You clearly have never flown Southwest if you make such a statement. On WN, pax line up by number and load by number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.