Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Maybe 50% of the time the actual zone shows up on the GIDS, but even if it did, nobody is watching, and there is no path for those in the current zone to get up to the gate.

The gate agent interprets this lack of passengers in the current zone to mean everyone in that zone must have boarded thus they call the next zone which creates further hysteria and a thicker wall to penetrate. By the time zone 1 is called, it's an all out assault towards the boarding door and all hope is lost to find space, even if you are Sky "Priority".

In conclusion, I say that Delta's process is broken. It's a pain in the #@%# and completely uncivilized and totally disorganized most of the time. I hope they can modify to make it a little easier to navigate.
I agree one hundred per cent. Even in first class, I have to get there 30-40 minutes before departure to make sure I don't have to spend 20 minutes in line behind the crowds blocking the entrance. Not to mention total lack of use of "Sky Priority" lanes etc. or any attempt at any kind of enforcement of rules.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:44 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
On WN, pax line up by number and load by number.
Seems pretty civilized compared to the circus at other airlines these days, doesn't it? Ahh the irony...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:32 am

I believe we can squarely blame DL for this phenomenon. Remember 10 years ago when it was free to check a bag, and everyone stayed seated until their zone was called (as there was little chance of running out of bin space)? We could all collectively thumb our noses at the Southwest cattle call and speak of a more civilized experience over at Delta.

That is no more. Delta's boarding process starts with a well meaning gate agent instilling panic when making an announcement about bin space that is interpreted by passengers to mean bin space will fit maybe 10% of the bags in the boarding area. Reaction to this creates a cloud of travelers confused by First Class this and Elite Plus that as they push closer to the boarding door as if their proximity would make the bins bigger. Maybe 50% of the time the actual zone shows up on the GIDS, but even if it did, nobody is watching, and there is no path for those in the current zone to get up to the gate.

The gate agent interprets this lack of passengers in the current zone to mean everyone in that zone must have boarded thus they call the next zone which creates further hysteria and a thicker wall to penetrate. By the time zone 1 is called, it's an all out assault towards the boarding door and all hope is lost to find space, even if you are Sky "Priority".

Southwest, in complete contrast to the boarding process that is Delta Air Lines, is completely civil. People watch the screens above the boarding area intently to wait to line up, usually remaining seated. They don't try to do the "Southwest Pole Dance" until they see their letter and number on the screens. Their passengers even look to make sure they didn't accidentally jump ahead of anyone in the respective group of five. I kid you not, several times I've had someone with a higher number than me within the same group of let's say A25-A30 offer to let me go ahead because I was maybe A26 and they were A27. What's their hurry other than finding a seat? They comfortably checked their bag at the counter earlier for free... Can you imagine a double diamond DYKWIA saying, no please, go ahead of me, I see you're in F class and this time I'm in SKY...

I shared this irony with a Delta gate agent in Denver a few weeks ago. I pointed to the Southwest gate across the concourse that was in the process of an orderly boarding while showing her my battle scars from fighting through the throngs of zone 1 and zone 2 to get on a packed MD-90 to MSP. Even though I technically boarded with "Sky Priority", my bag was still 6 rows behind me and I wonder if it was worth the effort to even try to board in my zone.

In conclusion, I say that Delta's process is broken. It's a pain in the #@%# and completely uncivilized and totally disorganized most of the time. I hope they can modify to make it a little easier to navigate.
Easy solution--Just charge more for carryons
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I believe we can squarely blame DL for this phenomenon. Remember 10 years ago when it was free to check a bag, and everyone stayed seated until their zone was called (as there was little chance of running out of bin space)? We could all collectively thumb our noses at the Southwest cattle call and speak of a more civilized experience over at Delta.

That is no more. Delta's boarding process starts with a well meaning gate agent instilling panic when making an announcement about bin space that is interpreted by passengers to mean bin space will fit maybe 10% of the bags in the boarding area. Reaction to this creates a cloud of travelers confused by First Class this and Elite Plus that as they push closer to the boarding door as if their proximity would make the bins bigger. Maybe 50% of the time the actual zone shows up on the GIDS, but even if it did, nobody is watching, and there is no path for those in the current zone to get up to the gate.

Southwest, in complete contrast to the boarding process that is Delta Air Lines, is completely civil. People watch the screens above the boarding area intently to wait to line up, usually remaining seated. They don't try to do the "Southwest Pole Dance" until they see their letter and number on the screens. Their passengers even look to make sure they didn't accidentally jump ahead of anyone in the respective group of five. I kid you not, several times I've had someone with a higher number than me within the same group of let's say A25-A30 offer to let me go ahead because I was maybe A26 and they were A27. What's their hurry other than finding a seat? They comfortably checked their bag at the counter earlier for free... Can you imagine a double diamond DYKWIA saying, no please, go ahead of me, I see you're in F class and this time I'm in SKY...

I shared this irony with a Delta gate agent in Denver a few weeks ago. I pointed to the Southwest gate across the concourse that was in the process of an orderly boarding while showing her my battle scars from fighting through the throngs of zone 1 and zone 2 to get on a packed MD-90 to MSP. Even though I technically boarded with "Sky Priority", my bag was still 6 rows behind me and I wonder if it was worth the effort to even try to board in my zone.

Originally Posted by emrdoc
I completely agree. Well said!!!
You clearly have never flown Southwest if you make such a statement. On WN, pax line up by number and load by number.

Just curious, why aren't you all flying WN instead of dealing with DL's boarding woes. Seems everyone is much happier and friendlier there. Why put yourselves through this??

My opinion is that yes, people are seeking space, BUT if it were a concern over spending the money to check a bag, WHY does it seem the FC & SKY & for that matter ZONE1 customers arethe WORST offenders? ?? Don't they get a free bag anyway?

Bad boarding announcements are a major issue. Not naming the city or just calling Zone 1 puts a panic to all in ear's shot. GA boarding DTW flight says "boarding group 2". Everyone going to ATL at adjoining gate rushes the door...

Perhaps if waiting for your bag at a claim did not take 40 mins many times, or if the priority tags worked consistently, you might see more people in the offending groups check bags. I don't because MCO wait times for bags can be ridiculous, bags are often delayed during IRROPS, & I like the flexibility to SDC (where applicable)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL-PM
I agree with all the latest posts...

When not carrying a backpack or a small (and unstructured) duffel bag, my wheeled "carry on" is virtually on the size limit. And it will have to fit sideways in old-style bins (pretty much everything domestic save for the 739s).

I just had a conversation with someone about how I hate to be the space hoarder or aisle blocker, so if carrying that bag, I will check it. It won't cost me anything but 10-15 minutes of my time, and it will save me (and perhaps my fellow travelers) a headache. Baggage priority seems to work most of the times in ATL and LGA (my most used destinations).

It does seem ironic that Southwest's process is indeed more civilized than pretty much all of the the legacies. I wonder if charging for carry ons could really be a solution (and I can't wait for the howls here).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if the definition has changed-

It all starts with one louse...and somehow they multiply to dozens of lice.

I have witnessed folks w/DM tags with one small carryon as well as others with larger carryons.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by emancj
I agree with all the latest posts...

When not carrying a backpack or a small (and unstructured) duffel bag, my wheeled "carry on" is virtually on the size limit. And it will have to fit sideways in old-style bins (pretty much everything domestic save for the 739s).

I just had a conversation with someone about how I hate to be the space hoarder or aisle blocker, so if carrying that bag, I will check it. It won't cost me anything but 10-15 minutes of my time, and it will save me (and perhaps my fellow travelers) a headache. Baggage priority seems to work most of the times in ATL and LGA (my most used destinations).

It does seem ironic that Southwest's process is indeed more civilized than pretty much all of the the legacies. I wonder if charging for carry ons could really be a solution (and I can't wait for the howls here).
Sideways Bag Guy is part of the problem.

Maybe it's time folks figure out what side of the aisle has the bigger bins on the MD80/90/712. Perhaps DL should better police this, and make better signage. Perhaps the Universal No symbol through a drawing of a sideways bag on the -2- seat side?

Or, maybe Sideways Bag Guy can just buy a new bag, or buy a 20" European style roll a board.

Originally Posted by yessams
Not sure if the definition has changed-

It all starts with one louse...and somehow they multiply to dozens of lice.

I have witnessed folks w/DM tags with one small carryon as well as others with larger carryons.

There's a brilliant psychology to this, similar to the hoarding effect. All it takes is one, and suddenly there's a bunch. When no one stands up, it's rather civilized.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Maybe it's time folks figure out what side of the aisle has the bigger bins on the MD80/90/712. Perhaps DL should better police this, and make better signage. Perhaps the Universal No symbol through a drawing of a sideways bag on the -2- seat side?
In the latest MD and 717 flights I've taken, there have been a couple of announcements on the bin size difference between sides.

The problem, I think, is not really that, but absolutely everyone wanting to bring a bag onboard, and most people wanting to put it in the overhead bin. Heh, one does what one can.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by emancj
In the latest MD and 717 flights I've taken, there have been a couple of announcements on the bin size difference between sides.

The problem, I think, is not really that, but absolutely everyone wanting to bring a bag onboard, and most people wanting to put it in the overhead bin. Heh, one does what one can.
Announcements tend to be ignored like every other announcement, unless of course there's a freebie involved. You're talking about announcements to the same people that when in row 2 are looking at the numbers for row 31...doubtful these pax are even listening or much less would know there's a difference. Hence, human interaction or signs that shame the Sideways Bag Guy.

Last edited by Ysitincoach; Oct 22, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
two good theories, but . . .

I'm not sure there is a solution. Posting an FA at the F/Y bulkhead to police the boarding might help.

A couple airlines tried starting with the back of the plane, or with window seats first, then middles, then aisles. Both good theories, but didn't work out in practice.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You clearly have never flown Southwest if you make such a statement. On WN, pax line up by number and load by number.

To me, the mention of multiple holding pens for boarding groups is Southwest-like. Southwest gates seem to have ropes and signs for people to line up according to their number.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Frankly I like the system United uses, with barriers creating lines for first/priority, zone 1, 2, 3. Creates at least a bit more organization. The pool of people for first/priority is still large, but at least you don't have to fight your way through zones 1/2/3.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Frankly I like the system United uses, with barriers creating lines for first/priority, zone 1, 2, 3. Creates at least a bit more organization. The pool of people for first/priority is still large, but at least you don't have to fight your way through zones 1/2/3.
The UA signs and barriers remind me of WN. It looks tacky.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:54 am

I think better policing of carry on size and boarding zone would help. Perhaps it is just my experience but it seems like this has slipped a fair bit as I've seen a number of people allowed to exceed the limits or bring obviously oversize luggage on board. I've also seen quite a few lice allowed to board well before their assigned zone. One flight out of LAX was particularly bad with zone 2 boarders allowed along with FC. One lady turned them away from the far door but the guy at the other door just didn't give a damn that day so his line was a free for all.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Just curious, why aren't you all flying WN instead of dealing with DL's boarding woes. Seems everyone is much happier and friendlier there. Why put yourselves through this??
It is entirely possible to be, overall, happier with one company over another while wishing they did a particular process more like their competitor.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:58 am

DL GAs need to enforce boarding zones (and get passengers in later zones to move aside so that others are able to board with their correct zone) and DL FAs need to prevent coach passengers from putting their stuff in FC bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.