Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
So, they call they are boarding first class and premium. I am in First Class. After fighting my way through a 10 deep throng of gate blockers, I get to where I think is the end of the line for FC/Premium. This guy is moving with what appears to be the line of people boarding. There were people standing still on either side of the line eying their boarding passes as if looking at them hard enough would change their zone order. I ask him if he is in line and he says yes.

I fall in behind this guy. I heard the beeps of the boarding passes being scanned and the thank you's for being Diamond. I look down at my iPhone to finish reading the article about Putin being on the wrong end of a coup as we proceed towards the plane. I am maybe 10' from the BP scanner. All of a sudden, I note that the beeping noises have stopped. I look up in horror to see the gate agent grabbing the microphone to announce Sky. At this moment 40 budding Nastrodomi's converge in front of me, but not before the dude "in line" in front of me goes into beast mode and runs through the crowd like Marshawn did on the winning play of the Super Bowl... I mean... In any case, I get to wait for 40 more people to board. The physics of how that many people could materialize in front of me was as astounding as calling a pass play on the 1 yard line with the SuperBowl on the line with the best RB in the NFL as a decoy, but I digress.
So, I get to my FC seat, and fake FC line blocker is exit row bulkhead in EC. There is no room in the overheads in FC at this point. The FA puts my bag in the closet on the MD88.
As we get up in the air, FC line blocker runs a 4.3 40 to the FC head and opens the door at 10,001 feet. He avoids eye contact with me on the way back to his seat. I'm not pisssed off at him as the whole thing is comical to me and my look reflects that.
We finally land and he gets up 3 seconds before the plane fully stops and collects his computer case out of the overhead in row 10. Before I can even move, he is standing next to me collecting his giant roller bag directly over my head.
He gets off the plane, ahead of me, and that is the last I saw of him.

...this guy is being enabled by the poorly managed boarding process Delta allows by just plain not having a system to prevent this... Probably because they just don't care.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
So, they call they are boarding first class and premium. I am in First Class. After fighting my way through a 10 deep throng of gate blockers, I get to where I think is the end of the line for FC/Premium. This guy is moving with what appears to be the line of people boarding. There were people standing still on either side of the line eying their boarding passes as if looking at them hard enough would change their zone order. I ask him if he is in line and he says yes.
Wrong question. Of course he was in line. What you should have asked was "Are you first class/premium?".
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by Gogie
Wrong question. Of course he was in line. What you should have asked was "Are you first class/premium?".
The fact I have to ask that specific question is what is wrong with the Delta boarding process and further proof that we as a species are doomed...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Not to come across as rude but unless you are in a Delta uniform, I doubt I'm going to give you any information about where I'm sitting.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:51 am

The fact I have to ask that specific question is what is wrong with the Delta boarding process and further proof that we as a species are doomed...
This problem isn't limited to Delta. Check out what's happening with AC's efforts to introduce zoned boarding. The only real solution is to not have anything that needs to be stored above when you travel and then you can board at your leisure and not worry about the masses. Travel used to be fun (and even relaxing). Not so much anymore.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sweeper20
Not to come across as rude but unless you are in a Delta uniform, I doubt I'm going to give you any information about where I'm sitting.
Not to come across as being rude, but by being in the line and impeding those that have the right to board in front of you, are you not already being rude.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Not to come across as being rude, but by being in the line and impeding those that have the right to board in front of you, are you not already being rude.
True, and i understand your point but that makes the assumption that I'm in the wrong line. If I am in first then I'm not impeding anything I don't really have any reason to answer anyone behind me. For the record I get your point, but what if 5 people ask you that question? 10? That would get annoying really fast...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:20 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
True, and i understand your point but that makes the assumption that I'm in the wrong line. If I am in first then I'm not impeding anything I don't really have any reason to answer anyone behind me. For the record I get your point, but what if 5 people ask you that question? 10? That would get annoying really fast...
They wouldn't have to ask that question if people did as they're told (waiting for your boarding zone to be called).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by TBD
They wouldn't have to ask that question if people did as they're told (waiting for your boarding zone to be called).
But then there are people who should be in that position in line - what I'm saying is if I'm in line correctly then I'm going to get annoyed pretty fast when people behind me keep asking what cabin I'm sitting in and my answer is First. Quite frankly its not your business what cabin I'm in - if Delta wants to fix the problem and make folks wait (or send them to the back of the line) who try and board ahead of their Zone, that's fine. Or if a gate agent wants to walk around and 'patrol' the boarding area and ask people who are standing around potentially blocking the door, fine as well. As far as a random passenger asking - MYOB (mind your own business)
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

But then there are people who should be in that position in line - what I'm saying is if I'm in line correctly then I'm going to get annoyed pretty fast when people behind me keep asking what cabin I'm sitting in and my answer is First. Quite frankly its not your business what cabin I'm in - if Delta wants to fix the problem and make folks wait who try and board ahead of their Zone, that's fine. Or if a gate agent wants to walk around and 'patrol' the boarding area and ask people who are standing around potentially blocking the door, fine as well. As far as a random passenger asking - MYOB (mind your own business)
Frankly, I'd rather they ask than just blow by me running over my feet with their giant roller bag.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:33 am

Frankly, I'd rather they ask than just blow by me running over my feet with their giant roller bag.
Those folks are never going to ask
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta, United
Just say "Excuse me could I get by, my zone is boarding" then shuffle past them. If they are actually boarding they will say something. If they are gate lice they will say nothing.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by gmark1
Sung to the tune of "I'm a girl watcher"

I'm a louse watcher
Gate louse watcher
Watch them block the aisle
My, my, my

I'm a louse watcher
The gate lice watcher
Here they all are now-

There's a louse I'm gonna meet
Because he's trying poach my seat
Overhead bins are full
My carryon went into the hold

Now I'm a louse also
I'm a louse also
Gonna block the aisle
Make the diamonds cry

Now I'm a louse also
I'm a louse also
Wishing I was sky-
Nice!!!

My runner up entry..' The Joker"

Some people call me Gate Louse

Some people call me Delta Medalli -UN

Some people call me CK...

But we are all righty righty righty here in Group one...

I fall in behind this guy. I heard the beeps of the boarding passes being scanned and the thank you's for being Diamond. I look down at my iPhone to finish reading the article about Putin being on the wrong end of a coup as we proceed towards the plane. I am maybe 10' from the BP scanner. All of a sudden, I note that the beeping noises have stopped. I look up in horror to see the gate agent grabbing the microphone to announce Sky. At this moment 40 budding Nastrodomi's converge in front of me, but not before the dude "in line" in front of me goes into beast mode and runs through the crowd like Marshawn did on the winning play of the Super Bowl... I mean... In any case, I get to wait for 40 more people to board. The physics of how that many people could materialize in front of me was as astounding as calling a pass play on the 1 yard line with the SuperBowl on the line with the best RB in the NFL as a decoy, but I digress.
So, I get to my FC seat, and fake FC line blocker is exit row bulkhead in EC. There is no room in the overheads in FC at this point. The FA puts my bag in the closet on the MD88.
As we get up in the air, FC line blocker runs a 4.3 40 to the FC head and opens the door at 10,001 feet. He avoids eye contact with me on the way back to his seat. I'm not pisssed off at him as the whole thing is comical to me and my look reflects that.
We finally land and he gets up 3 seconds before the plane fully stops and collects his computer case out of the overhead in row 10. Before I can even move, he is standing next to me collecting his giant roller bag directly over my head.
He gets off the plane, ahead of me, and that is the last I saw of him.

...this guy is being enabled by the poorly managed boarding process Delta allows by just plain not having a system to prevent this... Probably because they just don't care.
Im sorry about that. I was a in a rush for the Club.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Just say "Excuse me could I get by, my zone is boarding" then shuffle past them. If they are actually boarding they will say something. If they are gate lice they will say nothing.
Read the story
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM

How about "Is this the line for first class?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.