Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
So don't perpetuate misinformation, as you continue to do with the post quoted.

Safe travels,

Doc
^^^^^

Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Because choosing a travel partner isnt based only by boarding process... Kind of a silly question. That's a minor part of my decision making process. Just think, if Delta could improve their boarding process to the level of WN, they'd be an even better airline... And since you asked, I have been flying WN much more often. I find their schedule to certain cities to be much better and no CRJs, while flying me for hundreds less than Delta. Other times I find that paying more and flying a CRJ-700 on a non-stop is better than a connection on WN. I might even make A-List by end of year!
Fair enough, but not sure how DL could really go to as WN style boarding since the primary reason WN does this is because there are no seat assignments.... With DL, I know my seat and with elites being granted early boarding, how would the system determine the order of numbers given out? I certainly do not want to see DL IT take on that ptoject

Also, dare someone with status have a late connection, are they now at the back of the line because their number boarded already?

WN is an acquired taste that I never acquired. Flew them years ago and hot tired of playing seat roulette. Connections were especially bad. I have no issue with WN appreciaters, but comparing WN and DL is sn apple to orange comparison.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Frankly I like the system United uses, with barriers creating lines for first/priority, zone 1, 2, 3. Creates at least a bit more organization. The pool of people for first/priority is still large, but at least you don't have to fight your way through zones 1/2/3.
I experienced this recently on a short hop on UA. I bought up to F. The only issue I had was that the Line 1 had too many groups of people in it. preboards had to swim through the 1 because they did not have a designated area, as did military.

Akso. I do like the structure, but once the first person hits the line be prepared for the mass rush for position. Overall, having the lines in place kept people from cutting, which often happens on DL. It never ceases to amaze me how people can see a fairly well formed line, yet they cut in from the sides once boarding begins. Did these people fail kindergarten?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:37 am

I still disagree that the check bag fees are a huge contributor to this. If so, we wouldn't have huge rushes on PREM/SKY/ZONE 1. These folks get at least one free bag. Obviously, manyaaren't using it.

I do put some blame on allowance enforcement, especially in FC and upper elites who agsin are the bigger offenders. I see lots of extra garment/laptop/purses being allowed on in those zones.

Also, I do totally agree that many people, even those whom we assume to be seasoned travelers, do not know or choose not to maximize O/H bin space. I see this constantly. We know that bags can go in wheels/handles first on the 3 side of a MD/717/etc, yet I see sideways bags on the 2 side regularly.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Actually I've never flown WN.
Wow.
They are my 3rd most flown airline in my lifetime after Delta and Continental. I do not mind WN at all. Their boarding system has improved over the years and IIRC were one of the first to introduce OLCI.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I still disagree that the check bag fees are a huge contributor to this.
I agree. There were issues with the overheads being full before there were checked bag fees...on domestic flights and in coach on int'l flights, it's been like this for a long time.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... Also, dare someone with status have a late connection, are they now at the back of the line because their number boarded already? ...
from conversations with a friend who has been WN A-List for a really long time, I'm pretty sure you can board any time after your number has been called
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I agree. There were issues with the overheads being full before there were checked bag fees...on domestic flights and in coach on int'l flights, it's been like this for a long time.
It always seemed to me that more people would be willing to check a bag if they could depend on the bag being delivered promptly, undamaged, not lost, and with nothing stolen from it. Having TSA do security has made it worse for delays and items bing lost/stolen/damaged. There's also the inconvenience of needing to sometimes to get to the airport earlier to check a bg or having to wait in a long line to do so. Checking a bag just opens a lot of possibilities for things to go wrong. Furthermore, if one is using public transportation or even a shuttle bus to a rental car, it can be hard to manage more luggage than can fit into the bin anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Did these people fail kindergarten?
Probably not, but in kindergarten they got told to get back in line by the teacher. No teacher: free-for-all for the best toys in the sandbox.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It always seemed to me that more people would be willing to check a bag if they could depend on the bag being delivered promptly, undamaged, not lost, and with nothing stolen from it. Having TSA do security has made it worse for delays and items bing lost/stolen/damaged. There's also the inconvenience of needing to sometimes to get to the airport earlier to check a bg or having to wait in a long line to do so. Checking a bag just opens a lot of possibilities for things to go wrong. Furthermore, if one is using public transportation or even a shuttle bus to a rental car, it can be hard to manage more luggage than can fit into the bin anyway.
This. I've tried to do carry-on only since well before bag fees were a thing. And even today I'm far more likely to check a bag on a non-US airline.

Part of it is concern about correct, timely, and unpilfered delivery of the bag. Part of it is a desire to remain flexible for VDBs, last minute schedule changes, IRROPs, etc.

Most of it is that I can't stand dealing with a bunch of stuff while I'm travelling, so I pack very light and find a laundromat on trips longer than a week.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Overall, having the lines in place kept people from cutting, which often happens on DL. It never ceases to amaze me how people can see a fairly well formed line, yet they cut in from the sides once boarding begins. Did these people fail kindergarten?
I'll admit to coming in sometimes from the side, but that's because it's often impossible to tell who is actually in line. If the gaggle of gate lice would move to the sides so that the actual line of people boarding at that time can come straight in this wouldn't be a problem. However, at least at many airports, there isn't even room for the 16 F passengers on an MD to make a straight line between the scanner and the gate lice, and that gets even worse in zones with more people. I've probably accidentally stepped in front of someone who was actually boarding in my zone, but I know for sure that I've had the same done to me. The system being proposed here would at least help somewhat to alleviate this problem.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I still disagree that the check bag fees are a huge contributor to this. If so, we wouldn't have huge rushes on PREM/SKY/ZONE 1. These folks get at least one free bag. Obviously, many aren't using it.
Those same people in PREM or SKY didn't check a bag because they didn't want to. Nothing to do with the fee. They want to be able to exit the airport very quickly once the plane has landed.

And even those in PREM or SKY want to secure bin space near there seat. Many many times I've seen passengers board a flight and while they're seated in row 36 they drop that bag right off in a bin above EC and continue on there way. Happens ALL the time!

I would venture to say part of the effect is the herd mentality. Ever tried to herd a drove of cows? You need about 3 or 4 and the rest will follow. Or is it sheep? I forget. haha.

Sure there were instances before bag fees when the bins would become full anyway but it wasn't as common. Now nearly 100% of all flights the last 10-20 passengers to board are forced to gate check their carry on.

Before baggage fees, business travelers and those who wanted to exit the airport hastily did not check a bag. But for the majority of infrequent travelers checking a bag was the "norm." This made more room for those who had carry on luggage.

In today's world, a lot more people do not check a bag to avoid the fee. That's a simple fact. So there are more carry on's. So space is at a premium. So there is an inherent incentive to board the flight as early as possible.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Exactly. I think people forget about how this was before the fees. Lots of people didn't want to check their bags for these reasons.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
However, at least at many airports, there isn't even room for the 16 F passengers on an MD to make a straight line between the scanner and the gate lice, and that gets even worse in zones with more people. I've probably accidentally stepped in front of someone who was actually boarding in my zone, ---
DAY is not an easy one for example
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Exactly. I think people forget about how this was before the fees. Lots of people didn't want to check their bags for these reasons.
It going to be interesting in the next few months to watch WestJet. I fly them sometimes as an alternative coming from YYC-LAS (Delta codeshare of 7xxx). They've instituted bag fees and prior to the fees it was no problem no matter where i was in line to get some overhead space. In fact I have seen quite a few flights depart with a full bin open - most people were tourists and would not think anything of checking the bag. At $25, maybe they start thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.