Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Today's bin hog was a Diamond and wife on a crj 9 ...Bags were roll a board size and despite being told to pink tag them, they refused and although they fit sideways, took up 60% of the bin space inFC. this is also due to them putting their second smaller bag up there as well.

Karma is s b*tch though. Mr. DM got bumped by a boarding Y pax , partially spilling his PDB on himself.....
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Today's bin hog was a Diamond and wife on a crj 9 ...Bags were roll a board size and despite being told to pink tag them, they refused and although they fit sideways, took up 60% of the bin space inFC. this is also due to them putting their second smaller bag up there as well.

Karma is s b*tch though. Mr. DM got bumped by a boarding Y pax , partially spilling his PDB on himself.....
If he was on UA, he would not have had his drink spilled since many UAX FAs don't do PDBs any more.

But, going back to the Boarding Groups, I was flying IAH-SNA a few weeks ago and Group 1 (GS/1K/Plat/FC) had about 100 people in it and Group 2 (Gold/CC) had about another 75-80; so out of an A319, almost the whole plane was boarded after Group 2 (including pre-boards). What UA did that was was that the Group 1 lane was along the wall (and this was C40) so in order to get to the lane, I had to cut through Groups 3/4/5, then Group 2.

And there was a IAH-DCA that I was on in which the GAs boarded 3/4/5 first since there were only 25 people combined...for a sUA 752 . The DYKWIAs got started early on that flight.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
All flights to ATL from IND are absolutely horrific in terms of gate lice. They completely block the walking path next to the escalator as they flow out of the gate area.

As soon as they call for First, I now just cut in front of the desk as that has ample room to cut the entire SP line who are waiting to trudge to the back of the buss.

Flew UA a week ago at the end of the concourse (same one as DL) and they actively tell people to remain in their seats until their boarding group is called.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I now believe (not that I didn't before, but more confirmed now) that gate lice are elites who haven't been UG. In other words, the larger the UG WL is, the more gate lice there will be.

SFO-ATL on 739. My UG didn't process in advance. DL DM L fare on GUC #4 of 85 on the WL. Get cleared right before boarding. When boarding starts the worst gate lice infestation I've ever seen. Movement starts when those who need assistance is called out. Closer to gate they inch when F is called out.

Heard 3 elites comment to themselves "all those guys can't be in FC" as they themselves shifted closer and closer to the gate, making the blocked entryway to the boarding lane more and more dense. Then there was crowding the SP line - which there was no where to go but in front of the already there lice.

When you don't get FC, stand aside please. That way when you do it is a much more pleasant experience. Unless you want to be asked "are you boarding sir" by me when I am.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I now believe (not that I didn't before, but more confirmed now) that gate lice are elites who haven't been UG. In other words, the larger the UG WL is, the more gate lice there will be.

SFO-ATL on 739. My UG didn't process in advance. DL DM L fare on GUC #4 of 85 on the WL. Get cleared right before boarding. When boarding starts the worst gate lice infestation I've ever seen. Movement starts when those who need assistance is called out. Closer to gate they inch when F is called out.

Heard 3 elites comment to themselves "all those guys can't be in FC" as they themselves shifted closer and closer to the gate, making the blocked entryway to the boarding lane more and more dense. Then there was crowding the SP line - which there was no where to go but in front of the already there lice.

When you don't get FC, stand aside please. That way when you do it is a much more pleasant experience. Unless you want to be asked "are you boarding sir" by me when I am.
"When everyone's elite, nobody is." Delta sure called it with that one. 85 on the UG list? Insane!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
"When everyone's elite, nobody is." Delta sure called it with that one. 85 on the UG list? Insane!
The shock of being #4 on the list on GUC upgrade (UP2a) was more insane!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
In the latest MD and 717 flights I've taken, there have been a couple of announcements on the bin size difference between sides
Problem is: I have been complained to when I needed the "larger" side to be told "Your seat is on the left; don't put your bag above me."
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I generally try to put my rollaboard on the opposite side just to make sure I can have eyes on it during the scramble to deboard
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by relangford
Problem is: I have been complained to when I needed the "larger" side to be told "Your seat is on the left; don't put your bag above me."
And herin lies the problem. These people are uninformed and need to be educated.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The problem is F pax in bulkhead F seats who want to be sure they get overhead space, pax in the second row who want to beat the people in the bulkhead to get overhead space before the bulkhead pax, everyone else in F who doesn't want to get stuck standing while others put stuff in the overhead, people in EC who want to get overhead space before other EC passengers, DMs who didn't get UGd, PMs and GMs who think they should board before others, credit card holders who think Zone 1 boards early, FOs who think it's unfair that they board after SKY so it's their right to crowd, kettles who do not know better and kettles who know better but think if they're at the front, when Zone 3 is called, they may still get overhead space.

In other words, the problem is everyone but me.

I've posted this before. The problem would be solved if DL installed trap doors that open with the first boarding call, depositing all the lice into a cage below. DL could then parade those in F on high litters onto the plane. The litters could return for DM, PM and GM. After that, the cage could elevate, returning the lice to the gate area. Hungry tigers could then be released in the gate area, but be kept from Jetway. The remaining passengers would be forced to quickly get onto the Jetway.

Or DL could adopt WNs boarding policy, but not their seating policy.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but all over Asia, when flying Delta, there are staff that magically appear at boarding time. Each Delta staff member holds a sign above their head: 1st, Sky, Zone 1, etc. Works perfectly. I know the USA is a broke-... country and can't afford the extra people, but this solution works very well.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but all over Asia, when flying Delta, there are staff that magically appear at boarding time. Each Delta staff member holds a sign above their head: 1st, Sky, Zone 1, etc. Works perfectly. I know the USA is a broke-... country and can't afford the extra people, but this solution works very well.
Wouldn't that be about the same as UA'Szone/line/corral system?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Possibly. I think people are more apt to obey a real person than a static corral with a sign. In any case, I doubt Delta really gives a hoot about our issue with gate lice. Not sure why such an effort is made in Asia.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Agree it works, but not on the NRT MNL or MNL NRT flights, even with the signs and people it's still a zoo. There can be more pre board wheelchairs than regular passengers. You will never see so much carry on, and I've seen 1person with a BE ticket bring 8 or 9 family members or friends with them when boarding, when the 8 or 9 are sitting in Y.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Again, as others have correctly said, the only way to solve the gate lice problem is to charge for carryons and make checking a bag free, which most of the airlines will eventually do once they figure out how to enforce that without delaying the board process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.