Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by Cher905
How about "Is this the line for first class?"
I hear Ya, but I feel like I'd have to carry a bottle of Gray Poupon with me.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Those folks are never going to ask
I am one of those who politely tries to ask the gate lice to step aside as I attempt the walk through the masses. It's been my experience that half of the people move aside (and even then some move an inch which does not help me move past) and the other half stare at you like you have three eyes. I am not a gate lice, but Delta's refusal to address the issue makes me reconsider my position all the time.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
In PDX at least the gate agents aggressively push for gate-checked luggage. This eases the problem a bit as the root cause of the problem (IMO) is so many passengers carrying on bags they used to check to save the fee.

Delta does basically nothing to police bag size either. Bags that don't fit anyway but sideways are still far too common. These should be caught up front.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
There is no upside for them to stick out their necks.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The problem with the gate lice and the need to rush onboard is due to the fact that the bins in F and over the first row of Y always get full before the people actually sitting in those seats arrive. The way to fix this is to have an FA at the F/Y divider and tell people to remove bags from F and the first row of Y if they are seen to walk past those seats. I've seen this done once on AA and it was awesome. Of course it's extra work and the FAs tend to have other duties during boarding, but this would help alleviate a lot of the problems.

Of course on my last DL flight (E175), someone in F had 4 carryons and took up about 40% of the F bin space all by himself.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The problem with the gate lice and the need to rush onboard is due to the fact that the bins in F and over the first row of Y always get full before the people actually sitting in those seats arrive. The way to fix this is to have an FA at the F/Y divider and tell people to remove bags from F and the first row of Y if they are seen to walk past those seats. I've seen this done once on AA and it was awesome. Of course it's extra work and the FAs tend to have other duties during boarding, but this would help alleviate a lot of the problems.

Of course on my last DL flight (E175), someone in F had 4 carryons and took up about 40% of the F bin space all by himself.
That's a great idea. And the FA only needs to be there until the F bins fill.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Don't see this working on DL. The only way to enforce this is for the FC FA act as a bin monitor, which would be at the expense of the PDB. Note that AA doesn’t offer their F pax a PDB. Thanks, now we know why.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
AA does offer PDB. Not always, but more often than not.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Don't see this working on DL. The only way to enforce this is for the FC FA act as a bin monitor, which would be at the expense of the PDB. Note that AA doesn’t offer their F pax a PDB. Thanks, now we know why.
When I have flown AA, I was offered a water or juice as a PDB. Not quite what you normally get on DL, but not exactly no PDB...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Always been annoyed by gate lice, but try getting through the gate area to pre-board with a toddler, stroller and car seat!

Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
Smile

This may not be appropriate, but its known that some FA's "crop dust" near
PITA passengers. I've been tempted to make a "crop dusting" run through the pack of gate lice and see what happens.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, gate lice exist no matter the airline. I arrived late for my connecting flight in ATL the other day and they were already boarding group 1 (which I was in). Me and a few other passengers line up only to realize the passengers at the front of our line were just standing there. We gave them dirty looks and proceeded to board. I don't really mind the lice that stand up but stay out of the way, I do mind the lice that stand right in front of the lines to board.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Im putting my husbands hand up as a FC gate lice but that's because we have often rocked up to find First/priority boarding is 30+ deep for only 8-14 FC seats. Even when we are not flying FC, Ive always thought the practise was to let FC board first and then the priorities.

As our flights are usually 8-14hrs long before a domestic connection, we don't mind standing for 30-40mins so I admit, looking through this thread, Ive been looking for photos of hubby. Not found one yet but theres still time.

Last edited by Osmo; Mar 17, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Osmo
Im putting my husbands hand up as a FC gate lice but that's because we have often rocked up to find First/priority boarding is 30+ deep for only 8-14 FC seats. Even when we are not flying FC, Ive always thought the practise was to let FC board first and then the priorities.

As our flights are usually 8-14hrs long before a domestic connection, we don't mind standing for 30-40mins so I admit, looking through this thread, Ive been looking for photos of hubby. Not found one yet but theres still time.
As of March 1st FC and Diamond board together. Prem is now on Diamond boarding passes.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Howste
As of March 1st FC and Diamond board together. Prem is now on Diamond boarding passes.
A first for me today, on a connecting flight on a Y challenged CRJ the GA announced “Diamonds Only” to board first, before any other groups, (right after the normal pre-boards), only two of us went on in this group. I looked at my BP and sure enough, had PREM on it for my CRJ segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.