Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3furballs
Had to fly yesterday with my toddler (which I hate doing but she is usually well behaved and gives me a WTH is his/her problem look if there is another child crying on the flight). Connection in ATL. There were so many gate lice when they called pre-boards I literally couldn't get people to move and didn't make it to the gate until SKY was called.
So did you board with SKY even though FOs are zone 1?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Looks like he did... although by flying with a toddler (assuming 2 years or younger, or at least looks the part) he is entitled to pre-board.

-J.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Looks like he did... although by flying with a toddler (assuming 2 years or younger, or at least looks the part) he is entitled to pre-board.

-J.
Isn't the rule that people traveling with kids can pre board only if they're installing a car seat (and therefore have purchased a ticket for the kid)?

Also, if one has missed pre boarding, can one then board with an earlier zone than shown on the boarding pass? It sounds like this policy would open the door to lots of absue.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Well actually I'm GM just haven't updated my profile and I was seated in c+ so I would have boarded with SKY anyway

Isn't the rule that people traveling with kids can pre board only if they're installing a car seat (and therefore have purchased a ticket for the kid)?

Also, if one has missed pre boarding, can one then board with an earlier zone than shown on the boarding pass? It sounds like this policy would open the door to lots of absue.
It appears that GAs are fairly understanding of people struggling to get to the gate as I saw several others having the same issue and they were let on when they arrived, there also wasn't much time between when they called pre boards and PREM so I don't know how they actually expect to get from the gate to the plane.
The last few flights I've been on have specified those traveling with car seat, or stroller. Which makes sense since with the stroller most people have to stop at the bottom of the jetway take out stuff and collapse the stroller, which would hold up others.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
I like your assumption but I'm actually Mom. Hubby is a stay at home dad.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 18, 2016 at 8:07 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Sorry

-J.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:32 pm

And also "father" to your three cats (from your username three fur balls)?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
And also "father" to your three cats (from your username three fur balls)?
Actually they are three 80 lbs sled dogs who like to sleep in front of the A/C balled up. Not really a cat person, I suspect because my mom is highly allergic.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Last night, I was transiting ATL and went up the escalator at B terminal to head to my gate. Three gates near the center of the concourse not far from the escalator (B19-22 but one was empty)were about to start boarding, but I don't think any of them had actually started yet. Gate lice were so thick that I was having trouble weaving my way through; fortunately, I didn't have a roller bag which made it easier. As I made it past the last of these gates, an airport employee (I think) was asking people to move out of the walkway and stand against the wall, but she wasn't having much success. I actually thought about trying out the iPhone panorama feature to get a picture for this thread, but I didn't want to become part of the problem.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I think it's much worse when you have pax from your own flight stop and stare at the gate connections monitor. Especially when the GA is encouraging them to do so.
It would be so easy for the FAs to add "be sure to step out of the way of exiting passengers when you check the monitor" to the Welcome To... announcement. But if you think about it, most of us are usually sitting towards the front of the plane, which means it's likely seasoned passengers who exit the plane in front of us who are doing this.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I have started making a habit of sitting in seats close to the podium, preferably seats facing directly at the line/podium. Especially places like JFK or ATL. Thankfully, my wife has been conditioned well enough to know the drill. Every day and airport is different, but I always have one eye on the boarding area. If it's more of a civilized situation, I'll just watch the GA as they print out the manifest and look like they're about to wrap up and start calling preboards. This is our cue to put our book or tablet into our laptop bag, stand up, and go over near the SP lane. However, when this are not so civilized, and I notice people accumulating well before the GA even looks ready, I pack up my stuff and become a gate lice. My wife gets her stuff together, and once the preboarding announcement is made, she fights her way through the throng and joins me, where I've been saving a spot, in a sense. I hate doing it, but unfortunately so many people have become gate lice that we can't just sit idly by anymore. It's not so bad if it's a plane that I know for sure we have plenty of overhead space or whatever (like F bins in the 739). But when it's a bulkhead row and I need to guarantee I get my overhead space, or even moreso row 1A/B on the 319/320 where the bin has reduced space due to equipment, I want to make sure I'm one of the first on.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Had to fly yesterday with my toddler (which I hate doing but she is usually well behaved and gives me a WTH is his/her problem look if there is another child crying on the flight). Connection in ATL. There were so many gate lice when they called pre-boards I literally couldn't get people to move and didn't make it to the gate until SKY was called.
Shout loudly "CHILD COMING THROUGH!" The GA will probably wait for you, and tell people to get out of the way.

Or just run them over.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
No; having to collapse a pink-tagged stroller is also a good reason for pre-boarding.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
No; having to collapse a pink-tagged stroller is also a good reason for pre-boarding.
Good reason or official rule? They can be different.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good reason or official rule? They can be different.
It doesn't affect me directly, so I haven't checked the documentation. But the canned spiel from gate agents mentions strollers and car seats.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
It doesn't affect me directly, so I haven't checked the documentation. But the canned spiel from gate agents mentions strollers and car seats.
I've heard the version that mentions car seats only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.