"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I once had a post deleted because I mentioned "strike" in response to a question about the possibility of a flight being cancelled. When asked, the moderator explained that the subject of "strikes" was controversial and could stir up emotions. Umm, OK but LH was getting ready to go on strike and person asking the question was flying LH.....
This reminds me that the single most insane moderator act I've ever seen on FT was a thread in a carrier-specific forum on some mundane topic, such as quarterly financials/load stats, in which criticism of the airline was completely prohibited. (My recollection is that this wasn't a "just the facts" thread with a parallel "reactions & opinions" thread.) This happened within the past year IIRC; looked just now but was unable to find same.

IMO mods should definitely police individual instances of abusive language, and on occasion even lock a thread temporarily when tempers start to run high overall. But a flat-out ban on airline criticism, no matter how well-reasoned or factually supported, is ridiculous. FT isn't a nursery school.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
If you happen to do something against the terms and receive a PM from the Mods get them to be polite and not act like High School teachers. Sometimes, inadvertantly, I have slipped up and the tone of the PMs reminds me of when i was at school.

Lighten up !!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
The search function is horrible and needs improvement. I did a search for hnl first class flights in trip report forum and the first page results included nothing of the sorts!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
This post will get me banned.
  • Have a mistake fare forum that requires a high bar to entry, ala OMNI.
This. Even if I don't make the cut for whatever the high bar is, please this. And maybe even keep out the big bloggers
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Right. And millennials are entitled and lazy and terrible to work with. This is getting super old, find a new song to sing.

My work is in marketing, demographic and psychographic analysis including media habits of all consumer target groups.

I stated my observation. It seems you took it personally. You should not make assumptions or be rude or defensive. If you think millennials are lazy and such, you need to sort that out. FT is open to anyone.

Further, all of the new media, social media and so on exist because millennials either invented them, use them, or both. And these new media open opportunities for everyone else.

On FT, and in response to a point Dorian made, some forums have some posters who tend to do exactly what I describe. But Dorian is correct in his description of the impact on some conversations and the flow of some threads.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Right. And millennials are entitled and lazy and terrible to work with. This is getting super old, find a new song to sing.
Originally Posted by 747FC
....Proving the point exactly...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by beltway
...FT isn't a nursery school.
This.

There's one particular mod who I seem to rub up the wrong way, I've had a series of PMs from him/her all with the tone of a retired spinster school marm from early last century.

Others can be a delight
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
If I ran FlyerTalk...

I'd tell the SPG moderators to let threads about the Marriott takeover thrive vs stuffing them all into one worthless, bizarrely organized 'thread'.

I'd make a FT mobile app that rivals Facebook's.

Redesign the look and feel of FT, something simple yet great design to rival the look and feel of beautiful sites such as Airbnb, Uber, and Netflix.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:38 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If I ran Flyertalk, I would

a) start having privilege access only to some of the Forums to keep unexperienced/selfish users from spoiling things for other

b) not add any additional forums/subforum

Cheers!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
lots of good ideas keep coming in

i'd like to also add; get rid of Talk board
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
If I ran FlyerTalk, I'd go back to the days when this was a site for and about frequent travelers, when we had a sense of community and camaraderie (see 9/11 threads), and individuals participating were actually willing to both give and take (information, support, trades for small items) without expecting anything (cash, hat tips, warm fuzzies) in return.

Sadly the Internet has evolved and social media has replaced the spirit many of us created over many nights on chat, hosting community DOs that had (almost) nothing to do with manufactured spending or making money and everything to do with hanging out and socializing with people who traveled as much as we did, and actually knowing many of the people and personalities behind the keyboards.

Now I'm just here for the Fantasy Football. It's my one remaining piece of what FT used to be.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by techgirl
... hosting community DOs that had (almost) nothing to do with manufactured spending or making money and everything to do with hanging out and socializing with people who traveled as much as we did, and actually knowing many of the people and personalities behind the keyboards.
I'd say that still happens on a regular basis with Chicago area FTers.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:22 am

Totally agree with the posts concerning overly-aggressive and heavy-handed moderation. Not every “infraction” needs to be moderated with the “rule” highlighting the reason being posted; doing so reflects more negatively on the moderator than on the poster in many cases.

Mods should not let their personality/biases show through their moderation.

Some mods need to recognize that discussions evolve and can’t be compartmentalized, i.e., this is the topic of the current discussion and, therefore, such and such must be taken to the thread revolving around that topic, even if doing so completely thwarts discussion of the topic at hand.

Lighten up.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'd say that still happens on a regular basis with Chicago area FTers.
It happens on a regular basis in many cities... the organizing is just occurring on other sites and not FT.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techgirl
If I ran FlyerTalk, I'd go back to the days when this was a site for and about frequent travelers, when we had a sense of community and camaraderie (see 9/11 threads), and individuals participating were actually willing to both give and take (information, support, trades for small items) without expecting anything (cash, hat tips, warm fuzzies) in return.

Sadly the Internet has evolved and social media has replaced the spirit many of us created over many nights on chat, hosting community DOs that had (almost) nothing to do with manufactured spending or making money and everything to do with hanging out and socializing with people who traveled as much as we did, and actually knowing many of the people and personalities behind the keyboards.

Now I'm just here for the Fantasy Football. It's my one remaining piece of what FT used to be.
The less "noise" of some sorts that ends up being on FT, the less of a "community" sense there also ends up being. That said, the obsession aimed at reducing the "signal to noise rate/ratio" on FT isn't the only reason the "community" can't be what it used to be. A much larger membership base does have some impact.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
since it's 2016 :

realtime chatrooms for city/airport/hotel. Possibly interlinked depending on #tags ?

and reputation badges (based on loyalty program/property/luxury,budget travel etc) so one can easily filter out who has the most palatable/helpful posts on the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.