Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It seems like in terms of the site technology/functionality that a better mobile experience is the #1 request in this thread (and also in the technical services forum). Given how many people access FT via mobile devices, to me it should probably be the #1 priority.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I, like the poster above, am a long time listener and infrequent caller. My $0.02 FWIW.

- Mobile site must go or be significantly revamped. It just doesn't work well, and like others, I constantly have to keep reminding my devices to show me the full site.

- Search functionality could be better, I too, rely on google sometimes to get me to the right thread. Wish I didn't have to do this extra step sometimes.

Overall, this is a great site and one that I visit almost every day and is extremely useful to helping me with all things travel. Big thanks to all who contribute and help keep this thing going!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Enhance the Ignore User function so that quoted text from ignored users is also blocked or whited out.
This.

Also, I wish the mods took a more active role in policing thread proliferation. There are still too many overlapping/duplicative threads.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by clkc86
I'm not a frequent poster but have been a member for a number of years. I want to be able to access OMNI but I won't just comment if I have nothing to add to get my numbers up. Inquiring minds want to know what goes on behind closed doors!!!
Bad OMNI is really not that great. Lots of bickering.

Good OMNI is a fun place to discuss random stuff with with interesting people.

RE: All the moderation comments. I think there is too much complaining about the moderation - all in all, the mods do a great job keeping things reasonable and on topic. Once in a while, they remove something randomly, and while it is annoying briefly to have a comment removed, we all have to cede some power to these VOLUNTEERS to keep things reasonable. I think nearly every MOD does a great job.

What should be fixed about FT? No more animated or popover ads.Too much bandwidth, too annoying and distracting.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Limit the number of threads people can start and/or number of responses people can make in a specific time frame. Might help improve the signal:noise ratio...
Originally Posted by beltway
Also, I wish the mods took a more active role in policing thread proliferation. There are still too many overlapping/duplicative threads.
I agree with both of these posts. Too few people adhere to what used to be long-established netiquette of searching thoroughly before starting a new thread, and only starting a new thread if it was truly necessary. The regulars on a board would collectively shout you down if you breached this netiquette.

Instead, we now have the Twitter mentality of start a new thread for every random thought that comes into your head, no matter how often it comes into other people's heads. And there are too many people who will then vocally claim that this is acceptable.

Thus, one idea: Make the starting of a new thread conditional on the making of a $1 or $2 donation to charity. That would concentrate minds, and reduce the number of useless new threads (and the amount of merging work for mods) without opening FT to accusations of profiteering.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two things:

I would realize that people would be willing to pay for a premium account to not endure the criticism from admins for using ad-blockers in order to make the site more accessible.

I would add a Hall of Fame(Shame) forum to track the famous(infamous) postings that have been made over the years.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Easier photo posting/more user friendly "logout" settings for writing longer posts for things like trip reports. I've been burned writing a long report and being logged out, writing in word makes embedding pics challenging. I know that's my fault but it's deterred me from writing as much as I want.

Also +1 for not pushing mobile site. An app would be cool.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:29 pm

I would make it harder for Mods to abuse their "power" just for the sake of asserting it.
Ex: allowing an appeal button to closed threads- have seen many instances where threads of interesting discussions are closed just because the Mod may personally disagree with the discussion..not because it violates policy.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:31 pm

Agreeing in general with the points made to date. The biggest problem is ads that work against viewability of the forums: pop-ups or a frozen screen as they await transfer of ads from several sites.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Remove the "Unsubscribe" link from New Subscribed Threads on My Flyertalk, or at least give an option of "Are You Sure"? It's too easy to unsubscribe in error with fat fingers, particularly on an iPhone, and I can never tell which thread I've unsubbed from.

Disappointed that my earlier comment somehow disappeared
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:44 am

...I would add a "thank you" button to each post so users can thank other users for helpful posts, without having to add a mostly annoying "thank you"-post to the thread.

Last edited by sokolov; Jul 22, 2016 at 1:04 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
As suggested by many already, I would drastically reduce moderator rights to removal of spam or libel, thread move to the correct forum, and polite reminders when a discussion veers off topic.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have often wondered if I missed something and if posters in Bad Omni are somehow not obligated to obey the rules on FT decorum.

There are hundreds of nasty insulting posts without any redeeming value, often from the same people over and over.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:08 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by shgroamer
Easier photo posting/more user friendly "logout" settings for writing longer posts for things like trip reports. I've been burned writing a long report and being logged out, writing in word makes embedding pics challenging. I know that's my fault but it's deterred me from writing as much as I want.

Also +1 for not pushing mobile site. An app would be cool.
Check out browser plug-ins like Lazarus. It unobtrusively remembers everything you type in a text box and makes it easy to retrieve in the event of unintentional logouts, mistakenly closing a page, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have often wondered if I missed something and if posters in Bad Omni are somehow not obligated to obey the rules on FT decorum.

There are hundreds of nasty insulting posts without any redeeming value, often from the same people over and over.
Concession accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.