Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Lufthansa, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Automatic Login Cursor and a new Flying & Fashion Forum

Two things which I've already mentioned in past Forum posts.

1) Have the cursor automatically appear in the Username field of the FlyerTalk login page. This would save members the additional step of clicking in the Username field when they want to log in. Pages like Facebook already had this extremely useful feature years ago.

2) I would create a "Fashion & Flying Forum" where users can post the latest fashion related news and articles (i.e. celebrity travel fashion, TSA clothing rules, airlines having issues with passenger outfits, etc)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
would have an App for Apple products
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by chilledflyer
I would bring back the FT app for Apple and Andriod (something which can be easily done!)
+1
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And the app is unusable. Fix it.
+1
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It probably doesn't affect too many users, but I've been waiting for six years for a fix to the My Threads shortcut. So if I ran FT, I'd fix that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...y-threads.html
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'd get rid of the mobile site completely.

even on mobile devices, it's an awful experience. as much as one can choose to 'view full site', it'll eventually kick back to the mobile site.

perhaps there can be an account option where each user can completely disable the mobile site when logged in.
That sums it up for me. I detest the mobile site, to which my iPad defaults randomly, and the gaps for the <expletive> adverts.

But then my life does not rotate around a smartphone, so YMMV.

ICBA to read the rest - you have said what I needed. ^
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi FTers,

We are soliciting ways to improve the community and site experience.

Complete the sentence, "If I ran FlyerTalk..."

-The FT Team
I would give a tough challenge to other Social forums and make it Best In Class & a First choice

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 26, 2016 at 10:06 am Reason: Separate response from question for clarification
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If I ran FlyerTalk, I would
1) order the immediate removal of the annoying scrolling of images on the home page and ban moving objects anywhere on the site
2) create a forum, so Costco isn't discussed in ThankYou Rewards. Or even better, leave it as it is, but convince Citi to have Anywhere support both cash back and TY
3) drop the mobile interface and have a team build smartphone apps asap
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd make moderators take required sabbaticals from moderating every 2-3 years. Then they'd get to experience FT like the majority of the users & see that a lot of the actions they take (such as merging threads in the UA forum) makes the user experience worse than better.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:50 am

Glossary of abbreviations

Some of us are lost on the acronyms and abbreviations glibly used. There should be a glossary section on page one.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BrianGrant
Some of us are lost on the acronyms and abbreviations glibly used. There should be a glossary section on page one.

what would be amazing is if acronyms automatically link to a glossary----or even better, if you could just hover over them and a definition came up.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Mods Also as Cheerleaders

I also get the sense some of the moderators have become cheerleaders for a given airline, hotel, or whatever. Maybe they love the company, but they still can let the rest of us say what we want. I'd be even more concerned if the companies know who the moderators are and give them any sort of special treatment as a result.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:18 am

Stop the Snarky Use of the Acronyms and Put-Downs

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
what would be amazing is if acronyms automatically link to a glossary----or even better, if you could just hover over them and a definition came up.
I travel a lot, so I'm not especially impressed by some of the participants who have racked up an insane number of postings (do they have full-time jobs or worse are they doing this from work?) and go out of their way to use acronyms and then put down participants who use normal language or ask basic questions.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:20 am

Update the Graphics and Organization

The site is not intuitive using long outdated graphics. Come up with home pages and subsidiary pages that look cleaner and also make it more obvious where various topics are covered.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: United Platinum,1M miler; Alaska OneWorld Sapphire
I would like to see FAQs for each airline and airline program pulled together into a single place. It often takes a lot of searching to find answers to fairly simple questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.