Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by beltway
All of these complaints & criticisms about mods & moderation--including my own--suggest an idea for improving FT: provide an obvious, straightforward mechanism for registering such concerns with FT mgmt. Right now, I suspect most FTers have no idea that the Community Director exists, let alone how to convey complaints to her.
My only appeal to the Community Director languished 9 weeks before I received a response.

What I would do... require MODs to PM a poster when a post is deleted, or other corrective actions are implemented. I was once suspended for reposting something that had been deleted, and I was not advised of the action taken by the MOD. I reposted when I could not find the original post, believing that I had used the "Review Post" function and then forgot to hit "Submit reply"... an omission that I sometimes make. Putting someone on Double Secret Probation, then suspending them when they repeat an action that they can't have a way of knowing whether or why it caused MOD angst does not improve the tenor of the forum.

There are some who come here, is seems, not to seek information, not to provide help to others, not to share interesting travel experiences, not to offer relevant opinions, not to offer cogent rebuttal to others' opinions... but, rather, solely to deride and mock others for having their opinions. MODS will tell us that these people know the T&Cs so well that they can put their toes right on the line without crossing the line and, thus, there is no basis for moderation. Perhaps the line need to be moved. The tenor of the forum is damaged by the supercilious attitudes and behaviors of these non-contributors.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jul 27, 2016 at 12:08 pm Reason: clarificaton
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
I would only use quote boxes to quote actual posters on these forums. Plain text quotation marks or italics would suffice for quoting other websites.

Using a quote box for something from a different site instead of another poster on this site looks confusing and makes it look like the other site is a poster on the board.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I will not discuss Moderator actions, as it's contrary to the T&C

However, as a former Moderator on the British Army website at http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/ [warning, strong language and strong views] I can assure you that being a Mod isn't a lot of fun. It's little wonder that sometimes it's hard to keep things on the rails on FT. How that's achieved is down to individual styles, and I would agree that some Mods can be rather heavy handed [Oh, can I say that?]
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG,HHonersGold, UA1P, HertzGoldPlus, DeltaSkyMiles
I would be nice to new users

I joined FT in 2009 and read the "ReadMe" post.
I still browse because your blog has helpful information.
I'm a frequent flyer but I don't know every lingo, abbreviations, etc.
I was treated like a child and never interacted.
I have over 300k followers on various networks.
I would never recommend anyone to join or give you all props due to my lack of a few abbreviations and status.
End the negativity and create an app vs this mobile site.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's one perspectibve... another is to carry on learning the jargon, as I comfortably do in my 70s. Every day's a school day
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Two reasons I participate FAR less.

1) Moderation has become terrible - locking threads, merging threads, deleting posts - and discussing or disagreeing with any of it can get you suspended - feels like North Korea

2) Too many irrelevant posts by some members which clog up otherwise good discussions - rate limit posts

This. Threads get merged too quickly - there's threads on the AA forum that encompass years of data over a very general/high level topic. Who has the time to sort through 100+ pages to find the specific info they need?

I will question a mod if I feel they are out of line. If they want to punish me (again) for it, so be it. We are a community, not a dictatorship. Mods should be able to publicly explain their actions and have healthy discussions about them when appropriate.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by kipper
Years ago, OMNI was opened to the public view
It wasn't supposed to be. When people who had thought their OMNI posts were not open to search engines & to the public discovered that the restriction had been quietly removed, there was a bit of a rucus.

Personally I would open it up. Many forum sites have "off-topic" forums. But removing the content contributed by those who were promised it would not be exposed would be a hassle.

Or ... lock down the old "private" OMNI & start a new public one.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question honestly without violating the FlyerTalk T&C. In fact, it's even possible that making that statement could be a violation of the T&C.
+1

It's both a strenghth and a weakness, and a lot of good participation (as well as participants) are lost because of this.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
This. Threads get merged too quickly - there's threads on the AA forum that encompass years of data over a very general/high level topic. Who has the time to sort through 100+ pages to find the specific info they need?

I will question a mod if I feel they are out of line. If they want to punish me (again) for it, so be it. We are a community, not a dictatorship. Mods should be able to publicly explain their actions and have healthy discussions about them when appropriate.
Straying slightly Off topic (OT) ... about 50% of our sectors are AA these days, but I never read the AA "Warfare Forum". Extract from that comment what you wish.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 27, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Problem: Page views(aka participation) are down. This is probably due to the creaking interface ...
The state of the art in forum software is XenForo, developed by the same core of developers (Kier Darby & Mike Sullivan) that made vBulletin 2 & 3 the best in its class at the time. Given that Internet Brands now owns Jelsoft & vBulletin, an upgrade to XenForo seems unlikely.

Many very large sites have converted from vBulletin to XenForo; very few have migrated in the other direction.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 27, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Antiquated technology issues aside (which is an entirely different animal and one I'm not qualified to speak on as the "tech" in my handle does NOT stand for technology), there is a major emerging theme I see.

Is this a message board or is this a wiki?

If it is the former then fostering and preserving a collective community that is engaging and welcoming and able to grow its own culture organically is critical to the continuation of that flora. That was the model that Randy embraced for many years and its what has kept us old timers still occasionally clicking.

If it is the latter then put the effort into that. Cultivate information and organize it succinctly and don't worry about the community element.

Where I see the conflict is that this site wants to be both... because some members have a strong desire for one or the other. As a result, we end up with heavy handed moderation and reorganization of data that achieves one goal but stifles the other.

FlyerTalk needs to decide what it wants to be when it grows up because right now it is an 18-19 year old bulletin board that is destined to live in its mother's basement if it can't figure that out.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
I would suggest putting TalkBoard in charge of moderation, allowing it to establish the rules under which moderators work, and giving it authority to fire mods and appoint new ones.

This would fill the vacuum I mentioned, attract better members of TB, and increase interest in the elections while also taking care that the poorer mods are no longer supervising the posting. (I don't believe that a member-elected board would have any interest in getting rid of the better mods.)
+1

This would fix two problems at once -- TalkBoard's relevance and bad moderators.

I was actually threatened by a moderator for bringing up moderation in a TalkBoard forum discussion. These days I rarely venture outside of one particular lounge thread; it's just not worth the hassle.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It wasn't supposed to be. When people who had thought their OMNI posts were not open to search engines & to the public discovered that the restriction had been quietly removed, there was a bit of a rucus.

Personally I would open it up. Many forum sites have "off-topic" forums. But removing the content contributed by those who were promised it would not be exposed would be a hassle.

+1

It's both a strenghth and a weakness, and a lot of good participation (as well as participants) are lost because of this.
When I joined FT as a member, OMNI was viewable even when I was not logged in and I would use google to search for my Omni posts (and I did have a lot until 2004). It stayed that way for at least a couple of years.

My suggestion about TB was in the TB forum and it aligns with what some here have said. Make of that what you wish.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
there is a major emerging theme I see.

Is this a message board or is this a wiki?

If it is the former then fostering and preserving a collective community that is engaging and welcoming and able to grow its own culture organically is critical to the continuation of that flora. That was the model that Randy embraced for many years and its what has kept us old timers still occasionally clicking.

If it is the latter then put the effort into that. Cultivate information and organize it succinctly and don't worry about the community element.
I respectfully submit that this is a false dichotomy. I'm the primary maintainer for several wikis, and can attest that they continue to evolve thanks to ongoing suggestions/input/data points from posts in the thread. (Even among posters who are rule-qualified to edit wikis, many seem unwilling to put in the additional effort and/or incapable of doing the modest layout/typography design needed to make a wiki readable & easy to navigate.)

Likewise, a well-crafted wiki should ideally improve a thread by eliminating (in practice, reducing) the number of repetitive/newbie questions, thereby allowing for more focused and interesting discussion. That, in turn, arguably makes for a better community. As I say, the reality falls a little short of the theory, although I attribute some of that to the stupid mobile skin's failure to display wikis at all.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

+1

I wouldn't participate in OMNI if posts were visible to all.
+1

This would fix two problems at once -- TalkBoard's relevance and bad moderators.

I was actually threatened by a moderator for bringing up moderation in a TalkBoard forum discussion. These days I rarely venture outside of one particular lounge thread; it's just not worth the hassle.
I've not been threatened, but...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Having read the entire thread so far, it seems the #1 issue from a technology perspective is for IB to fix or come up w/ a better mobile situation (via site or app), especially since most folk access FT via mobile devices. In this day & age there's no excuse for a crap mobile experience (especially from a company that owns multiple websites).

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.